It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flex Plate bolt question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi Gang,

Do I have to use the same style bolts when I get ready to put the flex plate back on ?
Can I use normal hex head bolts that match the length , threads, etc ??

KK

Post subject: Re: Flex Plate bolt question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:52 pm 
LOST Addict

kibbleking wrote:
Hi Gang,

Do I have to use the same style bolts when I get ready to put the flex plate back on ?
Can I use normal hex head bolts that match the length , threads, etc ??

KK

Yes, I've seen grade 8 hex bolts work well, but they might not have as much surface area as the factory bolts. I would use factory for "race" engines, and don't forget red locktite and enough time for it to set up completely

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I guess I'm living dangerously - I put mine in without any locktite, but put about 35 lb-ft on them.

The factory bolts are a "short" head design, to allow clearance from the bell housing. Standard bolt heads likely will not clear, you may have to grind them down. I know the manual lists the factory bolts as TTY, but the ones that I have seem to be a grade 12.9 (max rating for metric) with 6 stripes stamped in the heads. This doesn't seem to be TTY.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:01 pm 
LOST Addict

I have some that I took out of a junkyard engine, and they look to be standard hex grade 8. They survived the most destructive valve consumption that I've seen yet, and I've seen several. It somehow ran until it pounded the entire liner, and most of the piston into about 1 inch or smaller pieces. How did it run that long is my question!? The hex bolts held on perfectly. I can post the thickness of the heads if you're worried about clearance

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete