It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Window Regulator Question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:48 pm 
LOST Member

So it appears there are two "styles" of regulators, pre- 02/06 build date and post that date. With the pre-02/06 fitting like 02 to 06 model years and the post-02/06 fitting 06 and 07 model years. The main (only?) diff appears to be the glass attachment, pre has a pin on the glass and post has a hole in the glass.

My question is are the tracks/motor mechanisms the same between these two. In other words could one put a post-02/06 replacement clip onto the track of a pre-02/06 regulator (like for example if one wanted to switch window glass types)? Would it work? Or are there other differences in the size of the track or the mechanism that makes so this would not work?

I was going to give this a try, but thought I would ask here to see if anyone knows the answer before I order parts.

TIA

Post subject: Re: Window Regulator Question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

My drivers window let loose yesterday while leaving the parking garage with temps at -6 and the window half up. As a result I spent some time on the auto and art website looking for the repair part just list night. They offer complete kits and from the pictures the complete assemblies are quite different.

2006 GMC Sierra Duramax/Allison - the toy
RIP - 1995 Tahoe 6.5 TD
1990 JD 332, yep, the mower is a diesel too

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:09 pm 
LOST Member

Interesting that you're seeing these as different. Early on they had a version which used wire cables to move it, but seems to have been replaced by one that uses a steel coil to move the traveler.

To my eye, the ones for the pin on the glass and the ones for a hole in the glass connection look identical, at least from the pics. Both are using the steel coil to move the traveler. And it sure looks like the only diff is which traveler they put on the end of the coil. And one supplier told me that they are interchangeable in a car, if you switch the glass, he just didn't know if the metal channel for the travelers were different between the two.

Anyway, I ordered a repair kit for the other type of traveler, and will see if it can be switched...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:47 pm 
LOST Member

Just wanted to update this for future reference.

Turns out I did not need the new style (hole in glass) traveler after all. Even though the build date is 05-06, it has early style (pin on glass) fittings. Perhaps the PO replaced the door or glass at some point but that is what I found. (Good lesson here, open the door and inspect which style you have before ordering, on these old cars anything might be in there. Don't just go by the build date)

While everything was out, I did some measuring of the steel tracks between the two. They are very close but not the same. Distance between the spring channel and the opposite edge where the traveler rides is ~1.5mm different between the two. I was comparing a factory unit with an aftermarket one, so that may explain the difference, but from what I could see, did not look like one could just swap a new traveler to the other channel; maybe if all were factory parts.

Not a conclusive answer, but all I could test given what I had.

HTH