It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glow plugs not working?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:31 pm 
LOST Member

So, I have the new 5v glow plugs from ID Parts installed when I did the head gasket and noticed that it wasn't cold starting well. Yesterday the temps dipped into the low 20's for the first time this year and it will not start at all. Yesterday I spent 15 minutes trying and it finally started so I took it to town and added Powerservice winter treatment when I topped it off. This morning it's doing the same thing so I'm thinking that the glow plugs are NOT working at all. What would cause this? I am not getting any CEL's Is there a glow plug controller or something that would cause this? With the old ceramic plugs I never had any problems with starts down to 0 deg. F

Post subject: Re: Glow plugs not working?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:16 pm 

The glow plug control module is right behind the battery. You may want to check it and makes sure it has power and is functioning properly?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:21 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
The glow plug control module is right behind the battery. You may want to check it and makes sure it has power and is functioning properly?

You can also test the glow plug resistance from the module connector !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:13 pm 
LOST Member

Relay is functioning. Using a test light shows all 4 wires sending voltage to the glow plugs. I'm thinking about putting my original ceramic plugs back but it's cold out there! One thing I noticed was on initial ignition the relay was sending power for about 15 seconds but the glow plug light would only light up for 3 seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:27 pm 
LOST Addict

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
Relay is functioning. Using a test light shows all 4 wires sending voltage to the glow plugs. I'm thinking about putting my original ceramic plugs back but it's cold out there! One thing I noticed was on initial ignition the relay was sending power for about 15 seconds but the glow plug light would only light up for 3 seconds.

Your results are fairly standard. Try 3 consecutive (immediate) cycles of the glow plugs for 5 seconds each cycle. It should rumble and smoke like crazy, but it should start. Or, plug it in for 20 minutes or more and it will start much easier.

Edit: do 2 or 3 of the 3x5 second cycles if necessary. Some of these jeeps are more stubborn than others.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:45 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
Your results are fairly standard. Try 3 consecutive (immediate) cycles of the glow plugs for 5 seconds each cycle. It should rumble and smoke like crazy, but it should start. Or, plug it in for 20 minutes or more and it will start much easier.

Edit: do 2 or 3 of the 3x5 second cycles if necessary. Some of these jeeps are more stubborn than others.

I'll second all of the above. Ours is fairly cold-blooded in sub-freezeing temperatures, even with an overkill battery and Bosch 5V glow plugs that have been in there for about 3 months. Multiple glow plug cycles (and block heater use) make a huge difference.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:53 pm 
LOST Member

What sucks is I NEVER had cold start issues with the ceramic GP's even down to single digit temps (F). now it just will not start when it's in the 20's even after cycling 3 times. I work out in the field most times so after sitting for 10 hours with nowhere to plug in the block heater I'm essentially stranded. This is frustrating!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:43 pm 
LOST Addict

An odyssey battery ($$$$$$$) made a big difference on mine, but I've seen a range with these jeeps. Some start much colder than others, although that may have been mostly related to the battery as the ones I've compared were all 7v steel plugs

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:39 pm 
LOST Member

Battery is good. I can turn the engine over for 15 minutes Just noticed the glow plugs I ordered from IDparts were the 7v Etechno. Didn't know they sold 3 different kinds... Apparently these are worthless. They shouldn't even be selling these if they are that bad. I ordered the 5v Bosch so hopefully that will solve that mystery.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:52 pm 

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
Battery is good. I can turn the engine over for 15 minutes Just noticed the glow plugs I ordered from IDparts were the 7v Etechno. Didn't know they sold 3 different kinds... Apparently these are worthless. They shouldn't even be selling these if they are that bad. I ordered the 5v Bosch so hopefully that will solve that mystery.

Be sure and post the results of installing the 5v plugs. It may help some others... :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:49 pm 
LOST Addict

I hope you didn't change the glow plug module / reprogram for 5 volt system when you replaced the glow plugs. That would really cause slow starts with 7 volt glow plugs. I recommend leaving the system as original at 7 volt with the 5 volt steel glow plugs as I am pretty sure you meant to at previous replacement.,

Just covering less likely possibility.

Also be aware that GDE will be offering tune change to help with cold starts with the Bosch glow plugs I believe (SEE their recent posts below this topic)

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:57 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
DieselJeepLuvr wrote:

Be sure and post the results of installing the 5v plugs. It may help some others... :D

Will do.

TKB4 wrote:
I hope you didn't change the glow plug module / reprogram for 5 volt system

No modification. Just replaced the stock GP's.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:06 am 
LOST Member

Well installed the Bosch 5v glow plugs last night. This morning it was 19 deg. F, turned on the key, waited for the buzzer to shut off and turned it over. BAM! Fired right up! Knocked and bucked for about 10 seconds (to be expected) but ran fine after that. Shortly after that I got a CEL... My cheapo Bosch code reader says 1267 plug 4 control circuit. What does that mean? Never had this before.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:20 pm 
LOST Member

Never mind followed the tips and tricks link. Found out I had no continuity on #4 so I reached around and pulled the connector and low and behold the plastic housing had broke and only half of it still there. Now I need to find a replacement. In the mean time I plugged it in and covered it in electrical tape. Not bad considering the jeep started right up this morning with only 3 of the 4 working.

CONCLUSION: Etechno plugs suck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:12 pm 

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
Never mind followed the tips and tricks link. Found out I had no continuity on #4 so I reached around and pulled the connector and low and behold the plastic housing had broke and only half of it still there. Now I need to find a replacement. In the mean time I plugged it in and covered it in electrical tape. Not bad considering the jeep started right up this morning with only 3 of the 4 working.

CONCLUSION: Etechno plugs suck.

Hopefully this may be of help?

Mopar Connection Repair Kit:
FUEL INJECTOR NO. 4 (DIESEL) - BLACK 2 WAY
Full Repair Kit: 05143779AB
http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:41 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Hopefully this may be of help?

Mopar Connection Repair Kit:
FUEL INJECTOR NO. 4 (DIESEL) - BLACK 2 WAY
Full Repair Kit: 05143779AB
http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

Thanks but no. That's for the fuel injector. I need the one for the glow plug. Looks like I need to order a whole new glow plug harness from IDParts unless I find what I need at a junk yard.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I too was puzzled by the short time the glow plug indicator was on. In the manual, I found the the time the glow plugs are ACTUALLY ON, as related to coolant temperature. This was shown below (more succinctly), but here it is again, directly from the manual for the CRD, page 8i-25:
(sorry for all the dots... this site doesn't recognize spaces so I had to fill them in with something).

engine coolant temp......wait-to-start lamp......Pre-heat cycle (time..........Post-heat cycle
.....with "Key on"...............time "ON"................plugs are on B4 start).....time on (after start)

...-30 C / -22 F.....................10 sec ......................35 sec ........................200 sec
...-10 C / 14 F......................10 sec ......................23 sec ........................180 sec
...+10 C / 50 F......................1 sec ......................21 sec ........................160 sec
...+30 C / 86 F......................1 sec ......................20 sec ........................130 sec
...+ 40 C / 104 F....................1 sec ......................19 sec ........................140 sec
...+ 70 C / 158 F....................1 sec ......................16 sec ........................ 20 sec

So big surprise to me... the glow plugs are ALWAYS operating for a while, just for a different length of time depending on coolant temp, even when the engine is warm. So when starting in the winter.... WAIT 22 seconds after seeing the indicator go out in 1 sec, or lasts even 10 sec if its below -10C/14F. THEN YOU HAVE ACTUALLY USED THEM PROPERLY.

DUH on Jeep.... like they couldn't leave the light on for the actual pre-heating time? Really?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:45 pm 
LOST Addict

VicK wrote:
I too was puzzled by the short time the glow plug indicator was on. In the manual, I found the the time the glow plugs are ACTUALLY ON, as related to coolant temperature. This was shown below (more succinctly), but here it is again, directly from the manual for the CRD, page 8i-25:
(sorry for all the dots... this site doesn't recognize spaces so I had to fill them in with something).

engine coolant temp......wait-to-start lamp......Pre-heat cycle (time..........Post-heat cycle
.....with "Key on"...............time "ON"................plugs are on B4 start).....time on (after start)

...-30 C / -22 F.....................10 sec ......................35 sec ........................200 sec
...-10 C / 14 F......................10 sec ......................23 sec ........................180 sec
...+10 C / 50 F......................1 sec ......................21 sec ........................160 sec
...+30 C / 86 F......................1 sec ......................20 sec ........................130 sec
...+ 40 C / 104 F....................1 sec ......................19 sec ........................140 sec
...+ 70 C / 158 F....................1 sec ......................16 sec ........................ 20 sec

So big surprise to me... the glow plugs are ALWAYS operating for a while, just for a different length of time depending on coolant temp, even when the engine is warm. So when starting in the winter.... WAIT 22 seconds after seeing the indicator go out in 1 sec, or lasts even 10 sec if its below -10C/14F. THEN YOU HAVE ACTUALLY USED THEM PROPERLY.

DUH on Jeep.... like they couldn't leave the light on for the actual pre-heating time? Really?

Can anyone verify these on times? I thought the manual was wrong?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:23 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Unless the tune has been modified, the pre and post heating times are correct.

What is NOT correct is the "Light-on" time. It's not related at all.

The trick in the cold, is Key-on time. One needs to allow enough time for the glow plug heat energy to be absorbed by the metal of the head.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:07 pm 

Watch these three videos, shows some run time for GP's. They were posted on the the high idle thread, but clearly show some actual heating times for the GP's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZd3DhBtw4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym-A_Qx_hbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKHgTaylCW0

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH