It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ARP rod bolts not very expensive: calling all experts
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Here's what I found for about $16 per 5 at summit racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-662-1007

-( MAYBE NOT) 2mm more thread engagement (maybe not with washer)
- stronger by 10 or 20,000 PSI

Questions:
1. Haven't found contact surface of the bolt head. The factory bolts have 11mm of surface pressing on the rod cap. I don't know if this matters much.
2. Our factory bolts list a 65 ft/lb final check torque, and ARP lists 54 or 57 ft/lbs for these bolts. Is it safe to just torque them to 65 since they are stronger?
3. Since they are 2mm HEAVIER, I'm guessing that do to balance this better be an all or nothing application?

This is mostly to avoid the annoying 60 degrees of torque, or for you that are running the engines extra HP.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Last edited by Mountainman on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: ARP rod bolts not very expensive: calling all experts
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

They look good. Being Chrome/molly they should be very tough. The pic looks like they have washer heads. I suspect the extra weight is because they don't have the necking down that stretch bolts normally have. The only down side is you need to buy 2 packs (10) so you end up with 2 spare.
We need a CRD parts sticky with all these links to parts info. We have one on the XJ diesel (VM425) section of Ausjeepoffroad.com.au in Australia.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:38 pm 
LOST Addict

layback40 wrote:
They look good. Being Chrome/molly they should be very tough. The pic looks like they have washer heads. I suspect the extra weight is because they don't have the necking down that stretch bolts normally have. The only down side is you need to buy 2 packs (10) so you end up with 2 spare.
We need a CRD parts sticky with all these links to parts info. We have one on the XJ diesel (VM425) section of Ausjeepoffroad.com.au in Australia.

Thanks for pointing out the potential washer. Maybe LESS thread engagement. They off longer ones, but looks like it's a full 10mm more for the next size up. They would fit, but I'd hate to add that much weight, but maybe it's no big deal?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Wait a second, wouldn't ARP have 50mm of thread contact on an advertised 50mm bolt? Well, the washer is probably only 3mm thick anyhow, for a 1mm loss of engagement.
I wonder if the hex bolt plus the washer is enough extra weight to make any difference though?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:48 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Why not just use studs?
That way you can tighten them for stretch rather than torque.
It's far more accurate and the preferred method of high end & custom engine builders.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:57 am 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Why not just use studs?
That way you can tighten them for stretch rather than torque.
It's far more accurate and the preferred method of high end & custom engine builders.

Good idea, I'll see what they have

Mech fan, VH & AC delete