It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cold start FIX for 5 volt glow plugs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:29 pm 
LOST Addict

We got an instrumented 5 volt mopar glow plug recently. This has allowed to to revise the glow control calibration to have the glow plugs reach 1100 F quicker and hold that temp during cranking. Whatever Chrysler did on this calibration, they fell short quite a bit. We will have some nice presentations on the impact on start ability with proper heating glow plugs in the next week.

This took us a while as we did not want to make changes without a thermocoupled glow plug. For current customers the update will be $50.

Thanks
GDE

Post subject: Re: Cold start FIX for 5 volt glow plugs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Very nice, you should get a medal for this one! I'm definitely interested. Do we need the 5v hardware upgrade, or just 5v plugs?

I also have some customers without tunes, but with cold start issues. Could you add just this feature to their jeeps (and how much)? They dont want to make the investment of a full tune.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 am 

Will this also work for those of us running non-Mopar (e.g., Bosch) 5V glow plugs?

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

casm wrote:
Will this also work for those of us running non-Mopar (e.g., Bosch) 5V glow plugs?

In addition to this i have GDE eco tune since 2014 with 7v programming how would this new programing would affect my glowplugs. Reason being i went through 2 sets of etechnos (bad batches) so far this one didnt get cooked yet. they are 7v

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
This has allowed to to revise the glow control calibration to have the glow plugs reach 1100 F quicker and hold that temp during cranking. Whatever Chrysler did on this calibration, they fell short quite a bit.

Today is a good day.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:48 pm 
LOST Addict

casm wrote:

Etecno glow plug users are on their own. We asked Etecno for an instrumented glow plug several years ago for testing, they gave us the cold shoulder. Those plugs are not quality.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:49 pm 
LOST Addict

rankom wrote:
casm wrote:

In addition to this i have GDE eco tune since 2014 with 7v programming how would this new programing would affect my glowplugs. Reason being i went through 2 sets of etechnos (bad batches) so far this one didnt get cooked yet. they are 7v

No changes for 7 volt glow system.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
Very nice, you should get a medal for this one! I'm definitely interested. Do we need the 5v hardware upgrade, or just 5v plugs?

I also have some customers without tunes, but with cold start issues. Could you add just this feature to their jeeps (and how much)? They dont want to make the investment of a full tune.

The 5 volt Bosch metallic glow plugs are all that are needed, the relay does not make a difference. We might be running a fire sale soon on the CRD tuning as the vehicles are aging. I am not sure we can port over these changes to a stock tune. Along with glow plug temp management, we are changing the pilot injection events during the cranking as this is helping as well. This stuff is based on the GDE tune in which all the base timing maps are different than stock.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:

The 5 volt Bosch metallic glow plugs are all that are needed, the relay does not make a difference. We might be running a fire sale soon on the CRD tuning as the vehicles are aging. I am not sure we can port over these changes to a stock tune. Along with glow plug temp management, we are changing the pilot injection events during the cranking as this is helping as well. This stuff is based on the GDE tune in which all the base timing maps are different than stock.

That makes perfect sense, thank you :rockon:
I'll hopefully convince people with this info to get a tune finally!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:34 pm 
LOST Member

We got an instrumented 5 volt mopar glow plug recently. This has allowed to to revise the glow control calibration to have the glow plugs reach 1100 F quicker and hold that temp during cranking. Whatever Chrysler did on this calibration, they fell short quite a bit. We will have some nice presentations on the impact on start ability with proper heating glow plugs in the next week.

This is awesome news, can't wait to send you my $50.

I'm sure your presentations will cover this, but how does starting performance of your new 5V calibration compare to:

- 7V Ceramic Plugs?
- 5V Plugs with Chrysler 5V Cal?
- 5V Plugs with 7V Cal?

2011 VW Routan - Wish it had a CRD!
2011 Dodge Durango - HEMI, 4WD, Factory Tow Hook & Skid Plates

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:43 pm 
LOST Addict

fool4wheelin wrote:

This is awesome news, can't wait to send you my $50.

I'm sure your presentations will cover this, but how does starting performance of your new 5V calibration compare to:

- 7V Ceramic Plugs?
- 5V Plugs with Chrysler 5V Cal?
- 5V Plugs with 7V Cal?

We will compare stock 5V glow vs. GDE tuned 5V glow. Very few folks have 7V ceramics any longer and if they do...they are happy as is. We won't be testing 5 volt plugs with 7 volt ecm logic as this will damage the glow plugs. I know there are several folks doing that, but it is not a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:30 am 
LOST Addict

Posting reply so I can get alerts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 pm 
LOST Member

Funny I just notice this because this morning I took my jeep to the Dodge dealership because this thing WILL NOT start if it gets below 32F unless I plug it in. I have power coming out of all 4 red wires at the relay. Tired of F**king with this thing. Too darn cold outside to work on it, especially with 2 feet of snow on the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:33 am 
LOST Addict

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
Funny I just notice this because this morning I took my jeep to the Dodge dealership because this thing WILL NOT start if it gets below 32F unless I plug it in. I have power coming out of all 4 red wires at the relay. Tired of F**king with this thing. Too darn cold outside to work on it, especially with 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Mine sucks too. Its in my insulated garage and still starts pretty rough in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:21 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
Mine sucks too. Its in my insulated garage and still starts pretty rough in the morning.
With the 5V plugs I found mine starts better at 30-40°F than 50-60°F, ECU must not run the plugs as long with the warmer ambient.

2011 VW Routan - Wish it had a CRD!
2011 Dodge Durango - HEMI, 4WD, Factory Tow Hook & Skid Plates

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:22 am 
LOST Member

We will compare stock 5V glow vs. GDE tuned 5V glow. Very few folks have 7V ceramics any longer and if they do...they are happy as is. We won't be testing 5 volt plugs with 7 volt ecm logic as this will damage the glow plugs. I know there are several folks doing that, but it is not a good idea.

Keith,

You are my hero by the way... Might be the vodka talking. You decide.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:40 pm 
LOST Member

I hope this change gets finished up quick. I had been considering the 7v programing and 5v plugs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:04 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
DieselJeepLuvr wrote:

Plug in. That's what I do in winter. 30 min oj juice and starts like in the summer. At least till you upgrade the glow plugs.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:51 am 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
Plug in. That's what I do in winter.

I work out in the field where there is no place to plug in. After 10-12 hours of sitting outside it won't start...

Got my new 5v Bosch plugs installed today. We'll see if it starts tomorrow. Anxiously waiting for the GDE upgrade...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:49 am 
LOST Addict

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
thermorex wrote:
Plug in. That's what I do in winter.

I work out in the field where there is no place to plug in. After 10-12 hours of sitting outside it won't start...

Got my new 5v Bosch plugs installed today. We'll see if it starts tomorrow. Anxiously waiting for the GDE upgrade...

If there is no place to plug in, then your best bet is to install a Webasto diesel fueled engine coolant heater. Look for the universal installation kit; part # 923369.