It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New CRD owner, preventitive
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 am 
LOST Newbie

I just purchased my first CRD, its a 2006 and I have no history on it, just that its at 157k miles. The front drive line was broken which has been fixed, but at this point the jeep has sat for two years. I already have the stuff to do the engine oil and filter, coolant, air filter, fuel filter, fuel conditioner. I am going to do the timing belt and pulleys, water pump and thermostat. What I am wondering is, should I replace the glow plugs? Should the injectors be cleaned by a shop? Anything else that could be preventative to avoid future issues?

On the performance side, I am also going to do the euro TC and the GDE tune, should I do an EGR delete at that time? Would it be worth doing the silicon intake pipes and an open air intake? Any other mods that might help improve engine performance?

Secondary fuel filter from wwdiesel
Northstar AGM
GDE Hot Tune
EGR delete
Suncoast TC
Transgo Kit
Carter Intank-pump
SAMCO Hoses
Silicone Intake hose
Silicone Vacuum hoses
Hayden HD Fan Clutch
ARB Front Bumper
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Gen II Fuel Head
Rockfather II Lift
GM 11 Blade fan

Post subject: Re: New CRD owner, preventitive
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:33 am 
LOST Member

From what I've learned my short time here, in addition to what you have already listed (like the EGR delete), is to fix the crankcase venting system. It coats the entire intake system, breaking down the hoses and coating it all in oily soot.
Provent filter seems to be the easiest and most popular. I just bought the kit from Sasquatch, scroll down the forum and you'll see his announcement.

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:38 am 
LOST Member

And be careful if you replace the glow plugs. On mine #2, #3 & #4 slipped right out but I snapped #1 - that's why I'm in the process of pulling the head...

Another thing I thought of, if it has sat that long outside and if you live in an area with moisture and temp fluctuations you might want to verify that things like the transfer and rear ends didn't absorb moisture. But maybe newer vehicles systems are better sealed than the old equipment I'm used to?

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:58 am 
LOST Member

Looks like you've read the "noob" guide, but if you search the forum the "suggested mod" list has been discussed many times over, but usually goes something like:

- Replace timing belt every 100k, and while you're in there replace water pump, tensioner & pulleys
- ORM or GDE Tune or DIY Tune (Need to pay attention to what GDE is coming out with for 5V plugs)
- Replace/Upgrade Intake/Boost Hoses as Needed
- Upgrade to 2nd Gen Fuel Filter Head (if not done already)
- Replace 7V Ceramic Glow Plugs with 5V Steel (they are color coded so you can check what you have)
- Install Electric In-Tank Fuel Pump
- ProVent (Sasquatch has new kit available) - EHM NOT RECOMMENDED
- Upgrade TC to Euro Style (or similar) if you experience "Shutter" in lockup mode
- Install ARP Head Studs
- EGR Delete (Weeks Stage 1 & 2)
- Replace Thermostat if failed and/or Upgrade to HDS Model 1
- Install HD Hayden Fan Clutch

You should get in touch with GDE to see if you already have an engine tune installed. Shouldn't need to do anything with the injectors, I took mine into a shop to be "tested" when I was working on my head, but wasn't necessary. Do not recommend open air intake.

2011 VW Routan - Wish it had a CRD!
2011 Dodge Durango - HEMI, 4WD, Factory Tow Hook & Skid Plates

Last edited by fool4wheelin on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 am 
LOST Addict

timothyd wrote:
What I am wondering is, should I replace the glow plugs? Should the injectors be cleaned by a shop? Anything else that could be preventative to avoid future issues?

On the performance side, I am also going to do the euro TC and the GDE tune, should I do an EGR delete at that time? Would it be worth doing the silicon intake pipes and an open air intake? Any other mods that might help improve engine performance?

Yes, you should replace the glow plugs. Get the Bosch 5v from IDparts.com

I've got over 200k miles on my injectors. Never taken them in for any service. Yours should be just fine unless you have a problem.

Whether or not you need a upgraded TC depends on what tune you go with or it you plan to tow with it. I've ran HOT tunes with my stock TC and yes, it shudders. But I can manage it and I rarely tow anything.

EGR delete is easy with parts from Sasquatch. If you plan to get the GDE tune, do the tune first.

Inspect the airbox to turbo hose. It should probably be replaced.
Replace the boost hoses if they are leaking. The silicone hoses are better.

Open air intake is not necessary. You'd have to make your own if you wanted one.

And absolutely install a provent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

There are good 7 Volt glowplugs instead of the 5 Volt.
ID parts sells a Glow Plug Set 7V [Etecno] and you do not need any reprogramming or any other mods.

br
KalleXX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:31 pm 
LOST Addict

fool4wheelin wrote:
Looks like you've read the "noob" guide, but if you search the forum the "suggested mod" list has been discussed many times over, but usually goes something like:

- Replace timing belt every 100k, and while you're in there replace water pump, tensioner & pulleys
- ORM or GDE Tune or DIY Tune (Need to pay attention to what GDE is coming out with for 5V plugs)
- Replace 7V Ceramic Glow Plugs with 5V Steel (they are color coded so you can check what you have)
- EHM or ProVent (Sasquatch has new kit available)
- Upgrade TC to Euro Style (or similar) if you experience "Shutter" in lockup mode
- Install ARP Head Studs

You should get in touch with GDE to see if you already have an engine tune installed. Shouldn't need to do anything with the injectors, I took mine into a shop to be "tested" when I was working on my head, but wasn't necessary. Do not recommend open air intake.

Please scratch the EHM from your list. I've dealt with 4 failed main bearing seals now, and all 4 had the EHM mod, and some were from warm climates, so ice wasn't the problem. :2cents:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:05 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
fool4wheelin wrote:

- EHM or ProVent (Sasquatch has new kit available)
- Install ARP Head Studs

Please scratch the EHM from your list. I've dealt with 4 failed main bearing seals now, and all 4 had the EHM mod, and some were from warm climates, so ice wasn't the problem. :2cents:

X2, just after I did the EHM i noticed oil leak from the trans case to engine. Gotta pull the trans again and fix this rear oil seal, :banghead:

On the to do list for you is a transmission service, filters and new fluid. And get a Lublok permanent silicon reusable gasket for the pan so you don't have to mess with RTV each time you service the transmission. Adding a pan with a drain plug is nice.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:06 pm 

X2 on others good advice as to the EHM mode.

Do NOT do an EHM! :grim:
Either ProVent or leave stock, but do yourself a favor and do not do an EHM.

See this for a full explanation:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80491

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:51 am 
LOST Member

KalleXX wrote:
ID parts sells a Glow Plug Set 7V [Etecno] and you do not need any reprogramming or any other mods.

br
KalleXX

DO NOT get the Etecno glow plugs! They are junk. Buy Bosch only.

Personally I don't know why anyone would want to buy one of these Jeeps unless they are masochists like the rest of us on here. Hopefully you got this thing dirt cheap because to get a stock one completely modded for reliability (ish) you'll be looking at about five grand. Granted they are bad arse little stump pulling, tree climbing rigs but...

:2cents:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:32 am 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
I have not stayed up to date on this one, but sounds like its a good thing my CCV is still stock. Were these EHM hoses plugged where you had the failed main bearing seals? I see there is a big warning about this in the Noob guide now, should the EHM recommendation be removed from the Noob guide entirely?

2011 VW Routan - Wish it had a CRD!
2011 Dodge Durango - HEMI, 4WD, Factory Tow Hook & Skid Plates

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:10 pm 
LOST Addict

fool4wheelin wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
I have not stayed up to date on this one, but sounds like its a good thing my CCV is still stock. Were these EHM hoses plugged where you had the failed main bearing seals? I see there is a big warning about this in the Noob guide now, should the EHM recommendation be removed from the Noob guide entirely?

Not always clogged, and I think it should be removed!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:17 pm 

fool4wheelin wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Only two viable and safe recommendation should be given on these engines; install a ProVent filter or leave it stock.
Anything else is like playing Russian Roulette with engine oil seals. Way to many have experienced and reported on oil seal leakage after performing the EHM mod or something similar to simply rule it out as a mere coincidence.

The EGR which dumps carbon into the intake where it mixes with the oil vapors coming from the CCV and makes a huge black mess in the intake manifold.
See picture below which is just one example of many posted on the web that shows the mess it creates!
First priority by any owner of one of these engines should be to tolly get rid of or at least block off the EGR system to prevent this.

The oily vapors passing through the intake manifold without being exposed to highly detrimental carbon from an EGR system is not a big problem. The only issue and the reason most install a ProVent filter is to trap the oil before it can get into the CAC (intercooler) where it can accumulate and contaminate (coat) the internal heat transfer tubes thus making it much less efficient. Also if a large enough volume of oil condenses and accumulates in the CAC, it can be sucked up and ingested by the engine during a hard acceleration event and can cause the engine to rev uncontrollably on it's own. This actually happened to me right after I purchased my Jeep CRD prior to adding a ProVent and cleaning out the intercooler. It was scary! :shock:

With the vacuum pump discharging internally into the engine crankcase on this engine, the CCV system requires the suction (vacuum) provided by the low pressure zone between the air filter and turbo inlet to function properly.

For a full explanation peruse this thread:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80491

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
KalleXX wrote:

br
KalleXX

DO NOT get the Etecno glow plugs! They are junk. Buy Bosch only.

Personally I don't know why anyone would want to buy one of these Jeeps unless they are masochists like the rest of us on here. Hopefully you got this thing dirt cheap because to get a stock one completely modded for reliability (ish) you'll be looking at about five grand. Granted they are bad arse little stump pulling, tree climbing rigs but...

:2cents:

I did a research and could not find any wrong with Etecno, double filament. I bought them Feb 2017 ($94.95, $139.20 total with postal service) and installed them, no problem. Little bit of advice from ID parts here: https://youtu.be/SYWHx65elCU
Br
KalleXX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:46 am 
LOST Newbie

Thankyou for all of the tips, I know full well what I am getting myself into with this beast lol. I paid only $1200 for it with a "broken timing belt". Turned out the front drive line cv joint broke and it broke the shifter cable leaving the jeep in drive, of course preventing it from starting. Fired right up once it was in park.

I did check the glow plugs, correct me if I am wrong but the glow plugs have a red ring which should be the bosch 5v? Also the part number for the fuel hat is the updated version. At this point I plan on doing the euro TC and transmission filter/fluid at the same time, all intake hoses pre and post turbo, the Provent kit, and all new engine and transmission mounts. I will also be doing the timing belt kit (pulleys and all), water pump and thermostat (I have heard of some talk of a higher temp thermostat, is this tested/reccomended?). All finished off with a GDE FT Eco tune and the Eco transmission tune.

This really is my dream rig and it deserves the love I will be giving it, this is just the beginning of this jeeps journey with me.

Northstar AGM
GDE Hot Tune
EGR delete
Suncoast TC
Transgo Kit
Carter Intank-pump
SAMCO Hoses
Silicone Intake hose
Silicone Vacuum hoses
Hayden HD Fan Clutch
ARB Front Bumper
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Gen II Fuel Head
Rockfather II Lift
GM 11 Blade fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:39 am 
LOST Addict

timothyd wrote:
Thankyou for all of the tips, I know full well what I am getting myself into with this beast lol. I paid only $1200 for it with a "broken timing belt". Turned out the front drive line cv joint broke and it broke the shifter cable leaving the jeep in drive, of course preventing it from starting. Fired right up once it was in park.

I did check the glow plugs, correct me if I am wrong but the glow plugs have a red ring which should be the bosch 5v? Also the part number for the fuel hat is the updated version. At this point I plan on doing the euro TC and transmission filter/fluid at the same time, all intake hoses pre and post turbo, the Provent kit, and all new engine and transmission mounts. I will also be doing the timing belt kit (pulleys and all), water pump and thermostat (I have heard of some talk of a higher temp thermostat, is this tested/reccomended?). All finished off with a GDE FT Eco tune and the Eco transmission tune.

This really is my dream rig and it deserves the love I will be giving it, this is just the beginning of this jeeps journey with me.

Yes... please respond to your private message.

I can give you all of the references you could ever want.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:29 am 
LOST Addict

I agree with Flash as usual. Get the Bosch 5volt or at least 5 volt steel like suggested there is no reprogram or other parts needed. The 5 volt glow plugs will just get hotter and help more with colder starts thats all.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

No need to do EGR delete if GDE tune is installed. Keeping FCV in place makes for smoother shutdowns as it closes for 20 seconds or so when key is turned off.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got the jeep up and running today and took it for a test drive, has anyone ever had issues with the sun roof making a slight flapping noise at highway speed when the windows are down? Only seems to do it then but not with the sun roof cover closed. It is also only about 40F here and it only reached the first 1/4 mark on the temp gauge, is that normal for factory thermostat?

Northstar AGM
GDE Hot Tune
EGR delete
Suncoast TC
Transgo Kit
Carter Intank-pump
SAMCO Hoses
Silicone Intake hose
Silicone Vacuum hoses
Hayden HD Fan Clutch
ARB Front Bumper
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Gen II Fuel Head
Rockfather II Lift
GM 11 Blade fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
stp2136 wrote:
No need to do EGR delete if GDE tune is installed. Keeping FCV in place makes for smoother shutdowns as it closes for 20 seconds or so when key is turned off.

This is not accurate. The FCV is used for the EGR system, it has no bearing on the shutdown because it cannot anticipate when you turn the engine off and cannot close fast enough to do anything before the engine has stopped rotating. The engine shuts down by cutting off the fuel flow. There is also no programming regarding the FCV that has anything do to with "runaway prevention" either - just in case that was also a consideration.

The FCV is strictly part of the EGR programming. GDE programs still utilize the EGR, it opens every single time you take your foot off of the accelerator. This normally is not an issue, unless you don't trust the EGR to properly function all of the time or trust it to have a positive seal when closed. Hint: It doesn't always seal perfectly and leaks boost, and can fail partly open. A physical blanking plate is a cheap additional security in blocking this destructive device.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.