It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Early Turbo?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:30 am 
LOST Member

If anyone was reading my other thread, you may recall I was trying to remove the turbo & manifold and complaining about the difficulty. I could only see/feel 3 turbo mounting bolts, even with a mirror. So that's all I could spray with penetrating oil. And that's all I took off.

The FSM and all the pictures I could find showed a 4 bolt mount. Mine is only 3, as is the manifold. It is a Garrett M53. Serial number is 00035. Could I have a very early model? Maybe Jeep/VM switched early in the production run for strength?

Anyone familiar with this?

I'm guessing my IDParts headgasket kit's turbo gasket won't fit...

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

Post subject: Re: Early Turbo?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:27 am 
LOST Addict

please post pictures

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:16 pm 
LOST Addict

krb wrote:
If anyone was reading my other thread, you may recall I was trying to remove the turbo & manifold and complaining about the difficulty. I could only see/feel 3 turbo mounting bolts, even with a mirror. So that's all I could spray with penetrating oil. And that's all I took off.

The FSM and all the pictures I could find showed a 4 bolt mount. Mine is only 3, as is the manifold. It is a Garrett M53. Serial number is 00035. Could I have a very early model? Maybe Jeep/VM switched early in the production run for strength?

Anyone familiar with this?

I'm guessing my IDParts headgasket kit's turbo gasket won't fit...

Wow, sound like the euro design. I likely have the turbo to manifold gasket for you. Free, as I was sent it from Europe by mistake. Yeah, pics x2

Edit, but the euro version doesn't have egr right?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:01 pm 
LOST Member

Man I do well to type on a forum let alone post pictures. My phone is a flip phone...

But, I can take pictures on my ipad and email them if somebody wanted to PM me their email. I have mastered that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:32 am 
LOST Member

Export CRDs do have an EGR....early 2002 KJs have a non-cooled EGR but after that they were water cooled.

I may be wrong though....maybe some European countries received different setups.

My 2002 Export 2.5L CRD has a fixed vane turbo....variable vane turbo came out in 2003 I think when that went to a 2.8L motor and automatic transmission....do not know how many bolts hold my fixed vane turbo in place and do not want to tempt fate by searching around that area! :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:33 am 
LOST Member

[quote="Mountainman\]Wow, sound like the euro design. I likely have the turbo to manifold gasket for you. Free, as I was sent it from Europe by mistake. Yeah, pics x2

Edit, but the euro version doesn't have egr right?[/quote]

That gasket might be handy, especially since you can't use it. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow, you really do have a different, likely never seen before on our CRDs turbo and exhaust manifold! With any luck the internal dimensions are the same, and dieselguy can upgrade and rebuild your turbo, because you will likely have trouble getting one of those stateside. Or, you just buy a manifold for $100 when the time comes. But, you might need a different feed and return oil line also. Oh, and maybe a turbo to block mount. I know chrysle was pinching pennies by using up old stock, but this is a new one. I guess this was VM sending them something different, hmm

-please send me a picture of the complete manifold that shows the egr port.
-dont lose that metal gasket. Is it basically a square with 4 holes that don't reach out/cover the entire manifold flange? If so, I have a lifetime supply of them you can have (6+).

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:38 pm 
LOST Addict

On a side note, for the turbo experts: Is the M53 or whatever it is any better or worse than what we have stock?
Coincidentally I have been in the process of getting a price for the turbo they used in Europe (M53?), just in case they were much less costly. I was going the route of the make and model, not the part number...

Krb,
Are there any contact/ scraping marks on the housing from the wheel? And is there any play in the shaft? Ithink 1/32" is about the max. I've ended up with 3-4 CRDs that failed and ran away from the turbo failing, I'm rebuilding one right now. Smoked every bearing in the motor and more...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:13 am 
LOST Member

It's tight, and relatively clean. I'll look closer today and let you know.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:30 am 
LOST Junkie

The export models with the old 2.5 and early 2.8’s had 4 bolt flanges, but had a fixed geometry IHI turbo. Ours are variable geometry Garrett units. The later engines had a Garrett GT1756 that i *think* had a 3 bolt flange. Id need the model number to clarify.

Also M53 means nothing, its casted on about every compressor housing ive seen.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:41 pm 
LOST Member

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&i ... &disp=safe

Don't know if this works or not. Sent pictures to Mountainman.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:52 pm 
LOST Addict

diesel_guy86 wrote:
The export models with the old 2.5 and early 2.8’s had 4 bolt flanges, but had a fixed geometry IHI turbo. Ours are variable geometry Garrett units. The later engines had a Garrett GT1756 that i *think* had a 3 bolt flange. Id need the model number to clarify.

Also M53 means nothing, its casted on about every compressor housing ive seen.

Ok, it has the following numbers on the plaque.
35242106F
752150-(3?) The 3 is tough to read.
Then there's a SN#

It looks to operate the same as ours with a similar vacuum actuator

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:53 pm 
LOST Addict

krb wrote:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=bdc630bd57&attid=0.5&permmsgid=msg-f:1626161767552361657&th=169149830647a4b9&view=att&disp=safe

Don't know if this works or not. Sent pictures to Mountainman.

That doesn't work

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Yours would be the second 3-bolt turbo I've seen or heard about. You can use the 4-bolt gasket, but you will have to drill out the hole that is obviously missing. You can also just reuse the old gasket, it isn't a huge deal to do that.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:47 am 
LOST Member

It all seems pretty tight to me. Only 101,xxx miles on it.

So anyone know why or when they changed over?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:09 pm 
LOST Addict

krb wrote:
It all seems pretty tight to me. Only 101,xxx miles on it.

So anyone know why or when they changed over?

That one Geordi mentioned is the only one I think anyone on LOST has ever heard of stateside.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
What is the manufactured date of your CRD?

Since I have only ever heard of two of these (and never seen it in person)... I'm wondering if in fact this is the same truck that I heard about last time. How long have you had it?
I wonder if it was somehow a development platform model, which is why I'm curious about the manufactured date that will be on the door sticker.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:18 am 
LOST Member

I'll check tonight. I got it from my dad who got if from a fellow in Tennessee maybe 10 years ago? He thought he remembered he had been a dealer or something.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:01 am 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
What is the manufactured date of your CRD?

Since I have only ever heard of two of these (and never seen it in person)... I'm wondering if in fact this is the same truck that I heard about last time. How long have you had it?
I wonder if it was somehow a development platform model, which is why I'm curious about the manufactured date that will be on the door sticker.

Now this is getting interesting. Looking forward to the updates.

Fumoto F102
ARB bumper
Bilsteins
Michelin Defender LTX 235/70/R16

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:55 pm 
LOST Member

May 2005