It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie that needs help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello to everyone, :) I've visited as a guest many times and finally decided to take the plunge and join.

Now I need the help of some people with experience in the engine department and don't know where to
post my question.

Just to make it clear this is a 2.8 CRD engine.

I was cleaning the MAF sensor and the MAP sensor today, and wouldn't you know it I broke the end off
the MAP sensor :evil: and it fell into the intake manifold :cry: , its the piece of plastic from below the o ring.

Everything else came out and I removed the o ring.

Now my question is will the piece in the manifold stay there or will it blow up into one of the intake valves,
if it can get to a valve will it be able to pass into the cylinder, the piece is about 7/16" in diameter and 5/8" long..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all who take time to help..

Post subject: Re: Newbie that needs help
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:14 am 
LOST Member

The intake will need to be removed. If you run it the piece will more than likely get sucked into the head and, if you're REALLY lucky, just pass through without destroying a valve. If you're even MORE lucky it will pass out of the cylinder without damaging a glow plug or exhaust valve. But best of all if your the kind of person that keeps winning the lottery, you get away with it passing through the exhaust turbo without destroying it. BUT if you broke it off in the first place I'd say you're pretty fkin unlucky and should just pull the intake...

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:19 am 
LOST Member

Try vacumm it out with a long pipe maybe?

Otherwise yeah I would not start up the engine.

These sensors are very delicate and can be damaged with rough cleaning! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:28 pm 
LOST Member

Billybob wrote:
Try vacumm it out with a long pipe maybe?

Otherwise yeah I would not start up the engine.

These sensors are very delicate and can be damaged with rough cleaning! :wink:

This might work with a really small flexible hose going up from the CAC inlet. I'm betting though that the intake is FULL of soot from the EGR system anyways. Great opportunity here to put in fresh rockers, ARP studs and eliminate the EGR system all together. Just my opinion anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:43 pm 
LOST Addict

If you have more than 100k miles on the engine, then you will want to tear it down and replace the rockers and add ARPs anyhow, oh, and delete the egr.
I'm less worried about a little plastic as these motors eat glow plug tips (extremely hard) and survive often, but if you pull the intake elbow, you can scoop it out with the black goop with a spoon...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Last edited by Mountainman on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the help. I bit the bullet and ordered the complete FCA/EGR delete kits along with
5 volt steel glow plugs, also got a bore scope coming to help with the removal the end of the MAP
sensor from inside the manifold. I going to shoot for the next timing belt change to do the top end.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
2 CRD's wrote:
Thank you for the help. I bit the bullet and ordered the complete FCA/EGR delete kits along with
5 volt steel glow plugs, also got a bore scope coming to help with the removal the end of the MAP
sensor from inside the manifold. I going to shoot for the next timing belt change to do the top end.

What do you mean "the next timing belt change" exactly? Are you going to try and leave the valve cover in place and just extract the plastic parts without removing anything?

If you need assistance in working on this to pull the top end and clean it out / install studs / replace the rockers - I'm the traveling CRD tech. This is the ONLY vehicle I work on, and I've worked on about 80 of them now.

FYI: If your CRD has not had a timing belt already, it is WAY overdue just on age. DO NOT WAIT FOR MILEAGE to get to 100k! The age limit of the belt is 6 years, any CRDs that still have the original belts are now more than 12 years old! The timing belt also needs to be replaced to remove the valve cover anyway, the labor fully overlaps.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:00 pm 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
If you need assistance in working on this to pull the top end and clean it out / install studs / replace the rockers - I'm the traveling CRD tech. This is the ONLY vehicle I work on, and I've worked on about 80 of them now.

FYI: If your CRD has not had a timing belt already, it is WAY overdue just on age. DO NOT WAIT FOR MILEAGE to get to 100k! The age limit of the belt is 6 years, any CRDs that still have the original belts are now more than 12 years old! The timing belt also needs to be replaced to remove the valve cover anyway, the labor fully overlaps.

^^^ What he said. If the timing belt was just replaced by a "mechanic" or the "previous owner" I would question their capabilities. There is more to doing a timing belt change than just changing the timing belt. Hell the PO of mine had theirs done at a Dodge dealership and THEY screwed it up!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:20 am 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:

Geordi is serious, mine had 96K and I lost the timing belt and the worst of times, brand new puppy in the rig coming home from Canada in the middle of nowhere, dead of night.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks to all for your help, My old jeep has 184,400 miles on the clock, Timing belt with idlers and tensioner changed at 115,000 miles, I've have had Kieth's Eco tune in since then, 2 years ago #4 glow plug died and I bought 7 volt glow plugs and it has had a hard time starting in the winter in the UP of Michigan since then. I change to Bosch 5 volt and am leaving the 7 volt mapping to see how it starts now. The end of the MAP sensor was easy to remove with the help of the $22.00 bore scope I bought....Again THANKS TO ALL for the help..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Glad you were able to get it out without a teardown. Sometimes we do get lucky though it doesn't seem so since most of the posts are about more serious problems with the CRD.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:03 pm 

TKB4 wrote:
Glad you were able to get it out without a teardown. Sometimes we do get lucky though it doesn't seem so since most of the posts are about more serious problems with the CRD.

X2,
glad you got it out with no issues! :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:30 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Go buy a lottery ticket, you have great luck right now!

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.