It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Florida TC versus Suncoast TC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:31 am 
LOST Member

https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/

They said to handle all the power the r428 puts down the TCM really needs a flash from Keith at GDE. They sell the copilot for other applications and said they were working with keith to develope one for our application but it got deep 6ed so the tech guy said a tune from Keith should help the 545 handle the power. He said they would custom build the 545 to meet our needs since all the 545 builds are based around the hemi so it's built for hp and we need it build for tq. I was talking to them about building it to hold 500ftlbs and he said no problem. I have their 68rfe stage 4 in our Dyno truck and it performs great with over 600whp. One last thing when building a performance trans, you must use an aluminum trans pan like a pml or ats to strengthen the case, especially if you plan to run it hard. I am working on building a kj crd for dirt drags, there is nothing like a 4 wheel launch to put stress on a trans.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:08 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
mass-hole wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
http://www.torqueconvertershop.com/45B%20Performance%20545RFE%20Billet%20torque%20converter%2045RFE.htm

Whichever one you choose, be sure to replace the old front pump with a new style.

These were the guys I was thinking about going through since you can select the stall speed but I have emailed them a few times to ask about torque handling and they don't respond. I want my stall low so it loads the engine more and helps get the turbo spooled up.

Kerry@americanhotrodsolutions.com is the email I used.

Text his cell at 318-208-4184

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:38 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
mass-hole wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
http://www.torqueconvertershop.com/45B%20Performance%20545RFE%20Billet%20torque%20converter%2045RFE.htm

Whichever one you choose, be sure to replace the old front pump with a new style.

These were the guys I was thinking about going through since you can select the stall speed but I have emailed them a few times to ask about torque handling and they don't respond. I want my stall low so it loads the engine more and helps get the turbo spooled up.

Kerry@americanhotrodsolutions.com is the email I used.

Text his cell at 318-208-4184

Did you end up buying through them?

I am planning on installing one of DieselGuy’s ball bearing GTB turbos so it will hit hard down low and wanna make sure the TC works.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I did.

Version 45B, @1500rpm lockup (this number is with the hemi. With the CRD it holds Stall RPM at just a hair under 1800 when at operating temp. The only disadvantage is it pulls VERY noticeably harder @ idle when approaching and sitting at stops. I am not bothered by this. If you are on snow or ice, be in part time 4x4. In 2wd the rear wheels could over come the front stopping traction unless you go into neutral.) Most of my local driving is between 1700 and 2200 rpm, and about 50-50 in locked/unlocked condition. I've measured about 10% improvement in fuel economy.

AGAIN!! Don't replace your TC without replacing your Front pump with the updated one with new pressure valve and spring, ESPECIALLY if you have a low end torque-improving tune. It will still shudder (even worse) and will ruin the TC clutch if not remedied right away.

I've not compared with Suncoast, but I don't expect that it would be noticeably better, and I doubt that it would be noticeably worse, as long as your tune is properly matched to the lockup you select.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Post subject: Florida TC versus Suncoast TC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:58 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I did.

Version 45B, @1500rpm lockup (this number is with the hemi. With the CRD it holds Stall RPM at just a hair under 1800 when at operating temp. The only disadvantage is it pulls VERY noticeably harder @ idle when approaching and sitting at stops. I am not bothered by this. If you are on snow or ice, be in part time 4x4. In 2wd the rear wheels could over come the front stopping traction unless you go into neutral.) Most of my local driving is between 1700 and 2200 rpm, and about 50-50 in locked/unlocked condition. I've measured about 10% improvement in fuel economy.

AGAIN!! Don't replace your TC without replacing your Front pump with the updated one with new pressure valve and spring, ESPECIALLY if you have a low end torque-improving tune. It will still shudder (even worse) and will ruin the TC clutch if not remedied right away.

I've not compared with Suncoast, but I don't expect that it would be noticeably better, and I doubt that it would be noticeably worse, as long as your tune is properly matched to the lockup you select.

Hmmm. I wonder if we could lower the idle speed to help remedy that. I actually increased my idle speed from 760 to 850 to try and improve warmup and help get the turbo going a little quicker off the line. That was why I wanted to go low stall. Add some extra load at idle to help get things moving a little quicker. well that and get rid of the general sloppiness.

Kerry got back to me on the email you provided, so thanks for that. He said the thing is good for 600 ft-lbs.

Post subject: Florida TC versus Suncoast TC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Do we really need to worry about the trans not being strong enough? The WK CRD has a 545rfe and makes 455 ft-lbs from 1600rpm with GDE’s hot tune. Thats a lot more than any Liberty CRD’s have done and at a lower RPM.

Even GDE’s turbo kit is “only” producing 400 ft lb by 2000.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:55 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
Do we really need to worry about the trans not being strong enough? The WK CRD has a 545rfe and makes 455 ft-lbs from 1600rpm with GDE’s hot tune. Thats a lot more than any Liberty CRD’s have done and at a lower RPM.

Edit: 'need to worry about' Strong enough, no. But, enough line pressure to avoid TC shudder, yes. They use the 545rfe in racing, its incredibly tough.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:20 am 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

Edit: 'need to worry about' Strong enough, no. But, enough line pressure to avoid TC shudder, yes. They use the 545rfe in racing, its incredibly tough.

Right but thats just the front pump and maybe a sonnax kit?

These things have been abused by other vehicles way harder than these CRD’s ever could. Look at the WK SRT8. That thing was a monster off the line. I clearly remember they made the Trailblazer SS look slow and my TBSS ran a 13.67 1/4 bone stock. That was quick for 2006.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mountainman wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

The Jeep WK CRD and SRT8 both have the NAG1 transmission. They do not have the 545rfe, the V8's have the 545rfe. The NAG1's can withstand about 500 HP and 500 lb ft before they start to have problems in the SRT8's.

My WK CRD is putting out more than 500 lb ft without any issues, with 35's and 4.10 gears, but it has only run about 5k miles in the last two years due to a build that has spiraled out of control. I have always been impressed with the NAG1's as I have beat the crap out of mine with very few issues.

2007 WK CRD Limited - GTB2260VKLR Turbo, custom everything else
2005 KJ CRD Limited - GDE ECO Tune, Fox shocks front & rear, 255/80R17 Cooper S/T Maxx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:14 pm 
LOST Addict

CB Eng wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

The Jeep WK CRD and SRT8 both have the NAG1 transmission. They do not have the 545rfe, the V8's have the 545rfe. The NAG1's can withstand about 500 HP and 500 lb ft before they start to have problems in the SRT8's.

My WK CRD is putting out more than 500 lb ft without any issues, with 35's and 4.10 gears, but it has only run about 5k miles in the last two years due to a build that has spiraled out of control. I have always been impressed with the NAG1's as I have beat the crap out of mine with very few issues.

Gotcha, I always thought they were 545's.

I'm honestly pissed I cheaped out and didnt buy a WK CRD in the first place. GTB2260VKLR's, 35's etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:29 am 
LOST Addict

Yup, just a new pump with the upgrades should do it. Add a shift kit (minus the resistor)for longer life.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:09 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
Yup, just a new pump with the upgrades should do it. Add a shift kit (minus the resistor)for longer life.

That is the plan, I am currently in search of a used transmission jack. I am also thinking about bigger better jack stands and jack. The Jeep is the highest thing I have owned thus far.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
along with a TransGo kit at the time of the TC install. :D

What is the Transgo Kit?

Someone who solves a problem you didn't know you had in a way you don't understand.

See also: Wizard, Magician.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:00 am 

Huhhhhh wrote:
What is the Transgo Kit?

Go here to read about them:> https://www.transgo.com/faq.html

For the Jeep 545RFE:
http://www.transgo.com/products.php?cat ... rent_id=63
:google:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bear with me here i'm a noob at this TC stuff. I see 6 different products in the jeep link and have no idea which one I'll need.
Plan on putting in the suncoast TC and putting in the updated front pump.

Someone who solves a problem you didn't know you had in a way you don't understand.

See also: Wizard, Magician.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:57 pm 

Huhhhhh wrote:
Bear with me here i'm a noob at this TC stuff. I see 6 different products in the jeep link and have no idea which one I'll need.
Plan on putting in the suncoast TC and putting in the updated front pump.

I believe this is the one most install.
http://www.transgo.com/products.php?prd ... ntview=Yes

I would check with a good transmission shop to see what they recommend.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:21 pm 
LOST Member

When you do the transgo hd2 shift kit it includes the updates to the pump so you dont need the new one if you actually do the whole kit install, the problem is most people just do the valve body mods so they only install half the kit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:26 am 
LOST Newbie

I was interested in doing the front pump and shift kit, can anyone verify that the shift kit parts are indeed sufficient to fix the front pump known issue?

Secondary fuel filter from wwdiesel
Northstar AGM
GDE Hot Tune
EGR delete
Suncoast TC
Transgo Kit
Carter Intank-pump
SAMCO Hoses
Silicone Intake hose
Silicone Vacuum hoses
Hayden HD Fan Clutch
ARB Front Bumper
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Gen II Fuel Head
Rockfather II Lift
GM 11 Blade fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Science and Energy wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

That is the plan, I am currently in search of a used transmission jack. I am also thinking about bigger better jack stands and jack. The Jeep is the highest thing I have owned thus far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ULZGFU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these and they are pretty sweet. All the safety of the typical jack stand plus the ability to lift without a floor jack. No problem with height.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:35 pm 

mass-hole wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ULZGFU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought these and they are pretty sweet. All the safety of the typical jack stand plus the ability to lift without a floor jack. No problem with height.

Thanks for sharing. :D
Now that's a great idea. Needed some of these many years ago before I installed a 10k lift in my shop.
Ordered one off Amazon just to have on hand for truck, camper, and trailers when towing or traveling if needed. Sure beats hauling a floor jack around! :pepper:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch