It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glow Plug replacement advice.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Evening all.
Has anyone who's done the glow plugs on a 2.5crd please got a brief rundown of what needs to come off in order to get the glow plugs out, roughly how long to allow and any tips on the job?
Also, can it all from above or does the job need access to anything from underneath?
(Note - I already understand about doing with engine block hot/warm)
It's a 2003 2.5crd
Many thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Glow Plug replacement advice.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:58 am 
LOST Member

Andyblondon wrote:
Evening all.
Has anyone who's done the glow plugs on a 2.5crd please got a brief rundown of what needs to come off in order to get the glow plugs out, roughly how long to allow and any tips on the job?
Also, can it all from above or does the job need access to anything from underneath?
(Note - I already understand about doing with engine block hot/warm)
It's a 2003 2.5crd
Many thanks in advance.

Download the 2003 KJ Service Manual here although it does not cover the Export 2.5/2.8 engines.
But very important is to download the section "2.5_2.8 export diesel" which does cover our Export diesels nicely :D

Jeep KJ Manuals: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Also the Australians have lots of these old CRD models....go to http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com and ask for advice there.

Definitely soak the glowplug threads in something like Q40 overnight before doing the job and #3 is difficult to get to!

What is wrong with your glowplugs? These 11 volt plugs are pretty robust but old age can cause problems. The ECM does not check the 11 volts glow plugs at all...it merely checks that the two fat Glow Plug Relays are not open circuit or shorted out. I live in a warm country so my 2.5 CRD starts even with both relays pulled out although it is a bit rough and smokey at first! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Billybob wrote:
Download the 2003 KJ Service Manual here although it does not cover the Export 2.5/2.8 engines.
But very important is to download the section "2.5_2.8 export diesel" which does cover our Export diesels nicely :D

Jeep KJ Manuals: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Also the Australians have lots of these old CRD models....go to http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com and ask for advice there.

Definitely soak the glowplug threads in something like Q40 overnight before doing the job and #3 is difficult to get to!

What is wrong with your glowplugs? These 11 volt plugs are pretty robust but old age can cause problems. The ECM does not check the 11 volts glow plugs at all...it merely checks that the two fat Glow Plug Relays are not open circuit or shorted out. I live in a warm country so my 2.5 CRD starts even with both relays pulled out although it is a bit rough and smokey at first! :wink:

Thanks for the reply.
I've got the service manual already. Unfortunately it doesn't do a full breakdown about everything that needs to be moved - it only mentions the air vent pipe. That's why I was rather hoping there would be someone on here who had done the job on a 2.5 and could give me a brief rundown on what needs to be moved and anything to look out for (aside from warming the engine and heating the GPs)

To answer your question, I'm in the UK and our weather fluctuates a fair bit - so on cold days it just doesn't start. I've checked there is diesel getting to the engine and prime the pump - so when it wont fire up I have to resort to a tiny squirt of easy start which I HATE doing. Hopefully once the GPs are done then it'll all be good.

When I've asked on the US Facebook groups, the guys all tell me to turn on the block heater but the UK KJs as you obviously know didn't get shipped with them - the reason being, it's just not that cold here. We only get a few days a year where it gets down to 32F (-0C), but in winter it's still too cold to start it without working glow plugs - so once they are replaced it should work fine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:52 am 
LOST Member

So just to confirm...have you downloaded the section "2.5_2.8 export diesel" section?
There are two files there...one for all mechanical issues on the old Export CRDs and another that has the CEL codes explained.

You can measure the resistance of the disconnected glow plugs to see if you get some consistent readings and with multi meter set to DC volts check if you get voltage on the plugs....this is a pulsed voltage so you will not see +11 volts but there should be some reading which would indicate that the connections are good.

The two large relays for the Glow Plugs are the same PN as the ASD relay and Blower relay so swap them over in case one or both Glow Plug relays have dirty contacts within...if you get Blower problems or ASD problems...not good...then you know that the relays are bad! :shock:

I have seen some posts that have recommended that 11 volt NGK glow plugs are the ones to go for...maybe ask the Australians what make they use when replacing. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Billybob

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, I downloaded both PDF files thanks.

This morning was particularly bad and I couldnt even get it going with Easystart (although I dont like to use too much). I had to call a breakdown service and he measured a draw of 40 amps when I turned the key to warm the GPs - he seemed to think it should be between 60 and 80 amps if all the plugs were good. It's an 100 amp circuit so it would stand to reason that there would be more than 40amp draw if all four GPs were working.

I took it down to a friends garage and he tested there was power coming out of the both relays and managed to established that at least one GP was OK but didnt have time to get at the others.

I'm going to bite the bullet and get them replaced on Monday. Is there anything else other than moving the alternator and removing the manifold air pipe - or do we need to take anything else off?

I've joined the Aussie group you suggested and asked the question but I'm still waiting on a response.

Thanks again.