It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Temp gauge started reading 3 clicks left of center lately.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:59 pm 
LOST Member

Thermostat housing was replaced in 2015 when the timing belt job was done.
I had to replace the leaking thermostat gasket last fall before I decided to get TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK's housing.
Then I put the housing replacement off waiting for decent weather when I could make the time for the swap.

I don't drive the CRD very often, I don't need to drive much lately, I have about 4K miles on in the last year, so I've been putting off the housing replacement until I had time in warmer weather to tackle the job. Old guys like me aren't as limber and agile as we were back when we were doing musclecar engine swaps years ago....
I changed the oil and rotated the tires yesterday, which reminded me what it was like when I used to do stuff like that without needing to plan for a good day. :)

Anyway, I'm guessing that the temp gauge suddenly reading 'lower' is due to the stock thermostat failing open, and it's time to do the swap NOW?

It's still hovering in the upper 40's most days around here when I have time, it's just starting to warm up on a regular basis.

Does the LostJeep Hive Mind believe that the thermostat housing swap will most likely solve my temp gauge issue at this time?
I'm assuming I need to kick my motivation up a few notches in the next few days.

Thanks for any ideas or comments.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

Post subject: Re: Temp gauge started reading 3 clicks left of center latel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes your OEM tstat is failing open or opening too soon and yes installing the HDR tstat you have will fix the problem. Full stop.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:34 am 
LOST Member

Thank you, Sir.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:11 am 
LOST Addict

Yes ,I also agree it should fix the problem, but its no particular hurry it shouldn't harm anything other than mileage and less effective heater until you get more ideal conditions to replace it. Most end up at around 8 o clock on the gauge when stuck fully open.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:57 pm 
LOST Member

TKB4 wrote:
Yes ,I also agree it should fix the problem, but its no particular hurry it shouldn't harm anything other than mileage and less effective heater until you get more ideal conditions to replace it. Most end up at around 8 o clock on the gauge when stuck fully open.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:06 am 
LOST Addict

crasher wrote:
Thermostat housing was replaced in 2015 when the timing belt job was done.
I had to replace the leaking thermostat gasket last fall before I decided to get TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK's housing.
Then I put the housing replacement off waiting for decent weather when I could make the time for the swap.

I don't drive the CRD very often, I don't need to drive much lately, I have about 4K miles on in the last year, so I've been putting off the housing replacement until I had time in warmer weather to tackle the job. Old guys like me aren't as limber and agile as we were back when we were doing musclecar engine swaps years ago....
I changed the oil and rotated the tires yesterday, which reminded me what it was like when I used to do stuff like that without needing to plan for a good day. :)

Anyway, I'm guessing that the temp gauge suddenly reading 'lower' is due to the stock thermostat failing open, and it's time to do the swap NOW?

It's still hovering in the upper 40's most days around here when I have time, it's just starting to warm up on a regular basis.

Does the LostJeep Hive Mind believe that the thermostat housing swap will most likely solve my temp gauge issue at this time?
I'm assuming I need to kick my motivation up a few notches in the next few days.

Thanks for any ideas or comments.

Hello, Crasher:

Before jumping to any conclusions and rushing to get another thermostat, I think it would be prudent to see if either the O.E. temperature sending unit or the O.E. temperature gauge has failed first.

Please perform both of the following operations to determine exactly what your engine's actual measured temperature is once fully warmed up. I do not trust the O.E. temperature gauge as it is neither accurate or linear.

1) Use either an OBDII reader or the Torque Pro Application on your mobile device to measure engine operating temperature through the engine's computer. Take and record a reading after the engine is fully warmed up.

2) Once the engine is fully warmed up, take a cross reference engine temperature reading by aiming an infrared temperature gun at the top of the thermostat.

The two temperatures should be the exact same or almost exactly the same. If they are not, it is therefore likely that your O.E. temperature sending unit is malfunctioning. All of this assumes, of course, that your infrared temperature gun is accurate.

The temperature readings not only need to be the same or almost the same; they need to be "in agreement" with the known needle position for that temperature on the O.E. temperature gauge. Years ago, somebody posted a photo on LOSTJEEPS of the O.E. temperature gauge with the image of the needle at various positions on the gauge and the measured temperature readings of the engine at each needle position. If your temperature readings correspond to a different needle position that what is indicated in this image, (or, different than what another CRD vehicle indicates is correct for that measured temperature), then your temperature gauge is likely malfunctioning.

I really need to hunt this image down and store it on my computer for future reference. If a member has this image, I would really like it e-mailed to me, (INTCOMBUSTION2@hotmail.com).

The engine operating temperature for your CRD engine should be at least 175 - 176 degrees Fahrenheit with a functioning O.E. thermostat assembly. As I have said many times before this is way too cool for long term reliability of the CRD engine, which is why people have been trying various methods to get the engine operating temperature up higher for years now. Any significant amount lower than 175 - 176 degrees, (say, 160 degrees or lower), then I would say that your O.E. thermostat has prematurely failed, and should be replaced.

I require some more information regarding the thermostat assembly currently on your CRD engine... How many miles have you put on since you replaced the thermostat in 2015? Was the replacement O.E. thermostat assembly an item purchased through a dealer or through I.D. Parts? Was this part purchased online, and is perhaps a Crown knock-off part?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:55 am 

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
I really need to hunt this image down and store it on my computer for future reference. If a member has this image, I would really like it e-mailed to me, (INTCOMBUSTION2@hotmail.com).

This the one Jeff?
Also sent it to you in an email.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:05 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:

This the one Jeff?
Also sent it to you in an email.

I'll take it! :D

But I thought there was another photo or image that had markings to the left of vertical.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:01 pm 

But I thought there was another photo or image that had markings to the left of vertical.

If there is, I have never seen one scaled for the lower temperatures.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:52 pm 
LOST Member

I believe this is what you saw:

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
A picture detailing the coolant gauge temp profile with original release from Chrysler:

And one showing the temp profile after the cluster update: