It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: thermostat and coolant temp
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all, my crd is only reaching about 70c (150 f) according to my OBD even on hwy, it is just spring here temps around 14c ( 57f) outside.
is this normal or is mind stuck open?

Post subject: Re: thermostat and coolant temp
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:16 am 
LOST Addict

it appears to be beginning to stick open again if sensor is correct

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

Post subject: Re: thermostat and coolant temp
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:48 am 
LOST Addict

luk wrote:
Hi all, my crd is only reaching about 70c (150 f) according to my OBD even on hwy, it is just spring here temps around 14c ( 57f) outside.
is this normal or is mind stuck open?

The O.E. temperature gauge is nether accurate nor linear, so it is good that you are using an OBDII reader.

To make certain that your O.E. temperature sending unit has not failed, please cross-reference your OBDII readings with that of an infrared temperature gun with the beam pointed at the top of the thermostat assembly. The readings should match or come close to matching. If they are significantly different, then it is likely that your O.E. temperature sending unit has failed and that you are getting false readings on your OBDII reader.

However, even if your TSU has failed, I am quite certain that your engine is running at too low an operating temperature. The O.E. engine thermostat assembly is a proprietary part that is not designed to last and is engineered to meet pollution control standards rather than what is optimal for power production and efficiency of the engine.

The Liberty CRD in North America is one of several vehicles that have fallen victim to the Environmental Protection Agency's ideologically driven pollution control standards. To meet the EPA's NOx standards, the Daimler Chrysler lowered the engine operating temperature of the V.M. Motori R428 engine that powers your CRD. Your O.E. thermostat assembly's valve opens up at 176 degrees Fahrenheit, while CRDs in other markets around the world get a more reasonable 195 degree Fahrenheit valve.

The results of this bone-headed thinking is that you do indeed get cleaner exhaust but you are burning significantly more fuel in the process, along with increased servicing costs and reliability issues for your engine.