It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 failure of all ABS wheel speed sensors at once???
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:47 am 
LOST Member

My blue 2005 has the ABS light and brake light illuminated on the dash. Odometer is not working. I hooked code reader up and it is showing:

left front wheel speed signal failure
right front wheel speed signal failure
left rear wheel speed signal failure
right rear wheel speed signal failure
PCI bus shorted to voltage
PCM messages not received

What would cause all 4 four ABS sensors to show as failed? Fuses to ABS check as good. Disconnected the speed sensor on top of the rear differential and received some new codes,,, plugged back in and those codes went away.

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

Post subject: Re: 2005 failure of all ABS wheel speed sensors at once???
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:27 pm 

What were the actual Code numbers???
Appears you might have a short or have a communication issue with all going out at once?
Have you checked all the ground locations to make sure you do not have a bad ground? Check all wiring to make sure something did not go to ground and short out.
Sure you did not blow a fuse? I would check them all with a 12v test lamp or volt meter. Sometimes just looking at a fuse, it will look ok but will be bad. Found this many times with these pushin fuses...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:41 pm 
LOST Member

PCI Bus shorted is probably the main problem here...very difficult to find I think.
The Bus could be failing anywhere....try measure the Bus to see if it is in fact shorting to voltage...may be some shorting wires.

The 2005 KJ uses mainly CAN and SCSI Bus I think with some PCI Bus which they are probably using here for the ABS sensors. :?

The 2005 CRD use a Front Control Module which is a small module with a single connector located near the Left Fender and under the battery I think.

All the Busses pass through this module which is prone to getting water, mud, snow salt thrown up on it which corrodes the connector. The 2006 CRD has this Front Control Module inside the cabin on top of the interior fuse panel!

Check the 2005 Jeep KJ Service Manual for a description of this module and section 8W has the Wiring diagrams.

Jeep KJ Service Manuals: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:58 pm 
LOST Addict

don't forget to check the ground under the battery holder toward grille this one is not shown in the owners manual

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

And this is the kid that gets to play with it;
The speedometer sometimes takes a minute to start working, then brake light will return on. Odometer used to flick on and off, now has stayed off for a while.

Codes he listed were from the ABS reader and did not have an ID, when trying to erase the codes, these will flash the ABS and engine light, and cause the brake light to flash along with a single ding, codes will still stay.
The ground look to be okay-ish at the two points in front and behind the battery, and by the starter, I will clean those more later, as there is some corrosion there.
Checked most of the wiring and fuses in front of the battery, along with the ECM and surrounding modules seem to have good connects, only found rust surrounding the mount of the TCM.
Had voltage going to the rear differential sensor, read 10, code came up when it was unpluged for "sensor range/performance ?" Don't remember the exact code, but it went away after being plugged back in. Thought this was the issue at first, from the speedometer issue, until later seeing there is no power to any of the speed sensors.

Seems to be a similar issue to this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85459

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:10 am 
LOST Member

OK so if you are not seeing any power to all the sensors it would seem that you need to climb in to the wiring diagrams to trace the missing voltages.
The 2006 Jeep KJ Service manual is sometimes better than the 2005 as far as the CEL codes are concerned in that the index page as a DTC list at the end of the index page which directs you direct to which page to go to for each CEL. Of course there are some wiring differences such as the wires going to the Front Control Module.

Very similar to the link you posted of a similar problem....perhaps you could PM the author of that post to see if he did resolve his problem? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

After directing the ground wire next to the ABS system to the battery (The bolt was rusted and could not get it out, along with the wires being corroded) The thicker wire that runs directly to the battery next to that, I cleaned and rebolted. This seemed to have fixed my codes for the glowplugs and my radio reseting it's clock and stations. But this did not fix the codes for the speed sensors. Based on the manual that should have been the correct one, G100/G110, listed as left side of the engine compartment. G105/G106/G102 are listed in the same spot. There are only 2 10 gauge wires in that spot. G112 is listed as the front left side, which I would guess is one of the three 10 gauge ground wires close to the grill. These look kinda of bad, and I have not replaced them yet.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

All ground wires close to the battery have been directly connected besides the thicker wire that already ran from the frame to the battery. The problem still remains of no ABS sensors or power to PCM. After starting the jeep up, all codes and modules can be read, live data shows everything working but VSS. As soon as VSS shows, along with the speedometer working, everything else can still be read until the code reader is repluged, then it can only read a single module, and no codes can be read ( 1140, 1267, 1263 are always on with this jeep, along with the ABS light and power codes)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:52 am 
LOST Addict

The 1267 is glow plug #4, the 1263 is glow plug # 2 but remember the glow plug wiring harness could be attached backwards so it could be #1 and @3 instead. Either way if you have the original ceramic glow plugs it is very likely that the tips have broken off on two of them. If you replace them I would recommend the Steel 5volt ones, you do not have to change the control module to use the 5 volt ones. Perhaps you already knew this.

The 1140 code refers to a short in the vacuum solenoid circuit. Perhaps this could be related to the ABS codes if some of the wiring is shared or dependent.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:16 am 
LOST Newbie

I had already know what the codes meant, haven't gotten to the glowplugs yet and the 1140 code is from removing the EGR with the weeks stage 1 kit. However, some old wiring from either those plugs or the EGR could be causing it. I've already counted for the ground wires listed next to the left side of the engine, the rest seem to be listed across the jeep. There has also been the issue of my inside lights flicker on and off when going on hills. Would there be other common spots for bad wiring/grounds?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:33 am 
LOST Member

The common spots for grounds are the negative battery lead going to chassis...would probably not turn over nicely if this was bad!
Likewise the grounding strap grounding the engine to the chassis...needs checking at both ends.

You probably are going to have to climb into the wiring itself with a multi meter...either by yourself or by a good Auto Electrician armed with the correct wiring diagrams. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

It turns over just fine and that cable from the chassis seems to be fine as well. I have read bits of 2005 liberties having issues in PCM's circuity going bad and causing various issues, which would explain the not counting miles, running speedometer and ABS sensors not having power. However, I have not been able to find a matching PCM ( R6044737AJ ) , shops show this as the TCM tho? This is the module on the passenger side, it has been manufacturer in this jeep. We have another 2005 with the same PCM, different ending, AI. Would swapping them be possible (Without reprogramming VIN and mileage ) to test where that is the problem?

I saw someone take theirs apart to clean it up as well, but the inner board is sandwiched between the outer covers and bends easy. At this point, it runs well without it all working, it would just be nice to have it.

Found two or more wires without their insulation going from a second connector to the rest of the jeep after going to the PCM. That might just be it, its just a little buried and the wire is blue with corrosion

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:50 pm 

Hope this will help, worth checking.

There is a ground right behind the left front headlight assembly on top of the finder under power distribution center that is in front of the battery. see picture 1
There is also a ground under the cowl rubber right over the master cylinder brake booster area. see picture 2

There is another one around the ABS unit and another on the passenger side.
GordnadoCRD wrote:
There is another one on the inner fender well to the rear of the tire, appx below the brake master cylinder. It's a pretty cluttered area so it's not very noticeable.
I agree all body ground points should be addressed as maintenance issues at least every other year, and probably every year in areas of high precipitation / road salt use / coastal beach areas / other corrosive environments.

This thread talks about issues with losing the whole ABS system due to one bad sensor.
> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57905

1--------------------------------------------------------------------------2---------------------------------------------------------

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:19 am 
LOST Newbie

The rear differential speed sensor was replaced, it took breaking it, putting a screw into and then using bolts and a metal plate to jack it out. That did not fix the problem. All grounds have been checked, cleaned or replaced. There is voltage going to the sensor at least. I will try to swap a different PCM into the jeep after fixing two maybe problem wires going to the PCM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:22 pm 
LOST Addict

The different PCM should start and run the engine about 3 seconds if it is not reprogrammed to the vehicles VIN similar to a correctly cut ignition key that is not coded.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:56 am 
LOST Member

I had all the same problems on mine when the speed sensors stopped working. Even my milage didn't show up. Replaced them never had a problem since.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

my 2005 had this problem.

It was the wiring harness leading to the speed sensor on top of the differential, you'll never see the break. The dealer had a 2 wire connector replacement harness for $12.00 back in 2010. It was a known issue that only occurs on the 2005 model year. ALl the sensors stop working along wth the cruise control, and speedometer sometimes, it took me forever to figure it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:00 pm 
LOST Member

racertracer wrote:
my 2005 had this problem.

It was the wiring harness leading to the speed sensor on top of the differential, you'll never see the break. The dealer had a 2 wire connector replacement harness for $12.00 back in 2010. It was a known issue that only occurs on the 2005 model year. ALl the sensors stop working along wth the cruise control, and speedometer sometimes, it took me forever to figure it out.

Concur

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:41 pm 
LOST Member

That happened to me once on my 05. Replaced them and everything worked again.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk