It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ARP Head Stud Lengths
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:51 pm 
LOST Member

I'm putting together a CRD engine using IDPart's ARP head stud kit, and am wondering if some of these studs may be sticking up too far.

It contains 4 shorter studs for the outside row on the exhaust side, and these seem fine, when torqued they are only one or two threads above the nut. It is the other 14 long studs which I have some concerns about. I hand threaded them into the block til they got tight, then backed them out 1/2 turn; at this point the nut and washer were nowhere near at the top of the head, had to turn the nut down some. When assembled and torqued there is ~5 circles of threads showing above the nut; about 7mm. Total height of the stud above the top of the valve/cam cover is ~19mm.

My concern is that there might be some interference from these studs and the valve/cam cover won't seat right. I did look at the underside of the cover, and it appears that only the outside exhaust row has ribs above that could cause a problem, at least at first glance. Did not see anything in the way of possible longer studs in the middle or intake rows. And most of the talk about too long head studs on the forum seems to be for that outside exhaust row (did read the 18+ page thread on that, but didn't see anything that addresses this).

Anyway I was hoping someone who is more familiar with ARP studs might comment. Do I have a potential issue here or am I concerned about nothing? How much above the nut is OK on these middle and intake rows?

Post subject: Re: ARP Head Stud Lengths
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:25 am 

Read through this thread:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65524&start=340
Kinda long, but I believe it will enlighten you as to the issue.

Studs too long in certain locations has been an ongoing issue in the past for some kits.
Some have simply ground down the top of the offending studs to make room for clearance of the valve cover.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: ARP Head Stud Lengths
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:59 am 
LOST Addict

I have used nothing but the vw/audi ARP s and have had no issues. Looks like I will continue using them given possible issues with others.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden