It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White Smoke at Idle and While Running
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

So long story short but I have recently resurrected my 2006 CRD. I lost a valve at 104k and the Jeep for about 4 years until last year when I sourced a good used engine. I went through the new engine doing most of the major upgrades as funding would allow. Head gasket, studs, EGR delete, silicon boost hoses, new rockers a long with all the various needed gaskets. I am not working to finish it up and get it on the road but I’m having an issue regarding it smoking. Power is there and I also thoroughly cleaned the turbo and made sure there was minimal play in the shaft.

My question is what could cause the white smoke? My thoughts are either it’s due to the 4 year old fuel I’m working to burn off of that the injectors may need inspected and cleaned. Thoughts or suggestions on what to check?

I’m almost through the old fuel in which I plan to replace the fuel filter, change the oil and just try to give it a workout

1991 Jeep Wrangler (sold)

Post subject: Re: White Smoke at Idle and While Running
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:21 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
White smoke when cold is probably condensation, but that's not usually visible much this time of year.
White smoke when hot can be water (more than what would be in the fuel)
White/grey smoke can also be retarded injection timing (air in fuel)
White/blue smoke is probably assembly lubricant working it's way out. This can be present in hellatious quantity for up to 1/2 hour after first fire-up and test running. My first drive after rebuild the smoke lasted 10 miles and one could be forgiven for thinking I set the entire town on fire. I got more birds flown at me than any duck hunt I've ever been on. Good thing I couldn't see the cars behind me.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:08 am 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
White smoke when cold is probably condensation, but that's not usually visible much this time of year.
White smoke when hot can be water (more than what would be in the fuel)
White/grey smoke can also be retarded injection timing (air in fuel)
White/blue smoke is probably assembly lubricant working it's way out. This can be present in hellatious quantity for up to 1/2 hour after first fire-up and test running. My first drive after rebuild the smoke lasted 10 miles and one could be forgiven for thinking I set the entire town on fire. I got more birds flown at me than any duck hunt I've ever been on. Good thing I couldn't see the cars behind me.

Ok thanks for you feedback. The Jeep has basically a full tank of fuel in it at the start so it has ran quite a bit to burn through the old fuel. I’ll check for air though and see if that helps.

1991 Jeep Wrangler (sold)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:03 am 
LOST Addict

I would bet since you have done all those upgrades and already driven it a bit its probably related to the old fuel and assembly. I certainly wouldn't worry about injectors etc at this point. If you hadn't done the work including ARP s I would strongly suspect head gasket leak.

Good Luck !! Please report how it does and the cause if found.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden