It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turbocharger issue?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey Folks- here's the story...

Back in May was driving my CRD cross country eastward bound. Stopped in Denver for an oil change at the dealership. In Ohio started hearing not-so-great noises and decided to check the oil. Dipstick registered nothing. Added about 1-2qts oil I had on hand and found a leak coming from oil filter. Checked on filter and found I was able to hand-tighten it!! Anyway, was able to tighten it fully with my wrench, added more oil from Napa, and made it back to CT. However, I still hear a squealing/whistling during acceleration. Local mechanic thinks its a bad bearing in the Turbo (potentially as a result of lack of oil from dealer f-up) and wants to replace it $1000 total with P&L. Will go for a second opinion but wanted to check in here to see if anyone has had any similar experiences and what the solution was.

Thanks for the help!!

Post subject: Re: Turbocharger issue?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:26 pm 

Thirsty Gazelle wrote:
Hey Folks- here's the story...
Back in May was driving my CRD cross country eastward bound. Stopped in Denver for an oil change at the dealership. In Ohio started hearing not-so-great noises and decided to check the oil. Dipstick registered nothing. Added about 1-2qts oil I had on hand and found a leak coming from oil filter. Checked on filter and found I was able to hand-tighten it!! Anyway, was able to tighten it fully with my wrench, added more oil from Napa, and made it back to CT. However, I still hear a squealing/whistling during acceleration. Local mechanic thinks its a bad bearing in the Turbo (potentially as a result of lack of oil from dealer f-up) and wants to replace it $1000 total with P&L. Will go for a second opinion but wanted to check in here to see if anyone has had any similar experiences and what the solution was.
Thanks for the help!!

If it was a dealer's screw up, they are definitely liable, they have insurance just for such things.
I would be talking to the service manager and then the owner of the dealership.
If neither of them provides you with any satisfaction, it would be time to talk to a lawyer unfortunately.
For the cost of a new turbo, it would be worth pursuing.
Good luck and let us know how it progresses.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hate to say it but Denver to Ohio is ca. 1,200 miles so my bet is the Dealer is going to say vibrated loose. Unlikely but not impossible. Worth poking the dealer but I'm not optimistic.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Seriously, you gotta be willing to do your own work with these things.
Even if it is a simple oil change.

I used to be a dealership mechanic.
I won’t take my stuff to them either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:11 pm 

flash7210 wrote:
Seriously, you gotta be willing to do your own work with these things.
Even if it is a simple oil change.
I used to be a dealership mechanic.
I won’t take my stuff to them either.

Totally agree.
Can tell you stories of how oil techs screwed up royally many times and dealership had to pay for it.
Loose oil filter, grease on steering wheel or on nice leather seats, car fell off lift, wrecked car in parking lot, scratched paint, forgot to put oil in engine, etc...
It's amazing they could be so stupid and keep a job. But of course the dealership did not pay them decent wages per hour, so they did not get the most intelligent hires.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Turbo is still rebuildable. The thrust bearing in the turbo is probably shot. A stock rebuild would be about half the cost you quoted.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.