It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeep CRD 2005 new member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi I jus joined the forum this morning cuz I bought a 2005 KJ CRD a few days ago for $2000. It’s in pretty good shape, but of course I knew I would have to clean out the flow elbow/EGR system& replace the map sensor cuz the Jeep having a runaway reving problem.
I have these parts apart jus now and cleaning the soot/crud out, which someone before me has done and not put the parts back together properly- missing screws etc..
Anyway, I put my fingers up into the Air Intake Manifold that is on top of the head and it’s full of soot/carbon build up too.
Iv been searching, but so far have not found any info about removing the Air Intake Manifold and cleaning that?
Is it because it can be cleaned in place with chemicals or steam?
Is it hard to remove? Do I have to have to engine 90 degrees from top dead center if I’m only taking the Air Intake Manifold off, but not the valve head? Or can I pop the Air Intake Manifold off, clean it& replace it without any other consequences?
I plan to install the Sasquatch filter also
Thx any for advice :)

Post subject: Re: Jeep CRD 2005 new member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:17 pm 

Welcome to the addiction.

The only sure way to clean out an intake is to remove it and wash it out by soaking and scrubbing it with diesel fuel or a chemical cleaner.
This would involve removing the valve/cam cover assembly which means removing the timing belt and the cam pulleys.
You did not say how many miles was on it, but while you got it apart it would be time to replace the cam belt, cam belt idler pulleys, water pump (turned by timing belt) and cam belt tensioner.
Also while it is off, replace Glow Plugs if they have not been replaced (very easy to get at with intake off) and inspect rockers for wear and replace them if needed as they will be staring you in the face.
Another recommendation is to replace head bolts with ARP head studs.
You also need to disable the EGR system to stop the flow of soot into the intake where it mixes with oil from the CCV system to make the carbon sludge you feel and what is pictured below.
Blocking off the EGR or totally removing it along with installing a ProVent filter will stop this. Covered in other posts on this forum.

The CAC (intercooler) is probably has a good bit of oil in it which can cause the sudden engine accelerations so it needs to be pulled and cleaned out.
This engine requires a good bit of maintenance and money to get it into a reliable condition. :banghead:

I may have missed a few, but I am sure others will offer suggestions....lots of good help and information on this forum.

If you have not read the NOOB guide, you need to do so.
> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank yu, very helpfull..
oil in the inter cooler causing sudden accelerations! Didn’t know that, I can reach it I think while the other parts are off..(I hope)
I have the pullies, plan to replace, & add the Privent filter.. will do the other things yu suggest, studs etc..
Thx very much..

Can I remove the intake manifold without having the engine 90 degrees from Top Dead Center?
Thx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:04 am 
LOST Addict

You can remove intake without engine in 90 degrees after TDC but then you would have to retime the engine. You will need the cam intake and exhaust pins to retime it if thats why you ask. You can make them see link and use allen wrench for flywheel pin. Don't bother with the flywheel bolt you probably would have a lot of difficulty threading it in anyway use allen wrench instead. The cam pins would stay in the intake holding the cam in place while you are cleaning it.

.http://www.beesvillebeefarm.com/jeep.html

You can also get a kit on eBay with them for about $30 or so. Once you disable the EGR system the crud might gradually soften and lessen some but probably not significantly but as long as you can clean out the mouth with it in place I wouldn't remove the intake just to do that. If you do remove it put in new rockers and ARP studs which you can do without removing the head (replace studs one at a time) The new style rockers don't have a crimp that can fail. If you want to do the whole nine yards replace at least the exhaust valves also.

I know it looks bad and probably bugs you but personally I would not remove the intake just to clean it !! I doubt it will make any difference in the way your jeep runs. You could measure the air flow , boost etc with something like torque app and prove to yourself the engine is breathing ok.

There are other ways to clean some of the crud with chemicals but probably not worth the investment. (pm MY66Dodge or see his posts).

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden