Post subject: Re: 2005 Gateway module
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:28 pm 

1945GPW wrote:
Where to find one.
Thanks

Junkyard
or
56044599AF :google:
Amazon actually has one listed:> https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrysler ... B013M88YCW :shock: :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Found the one at Amazon. Delivers in 1 to 3 months. I ordered it a few days ago. So far junk yard searches have turned up empty. That part must be the first to go. Something will turn up. Wife says its time for the Liberty's to go. She may be right.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:52 am 
LOST Addict

What exactly is inside this module?
What causes it to fail?

Parts for these vehicles are starting to dry up.
Preventative measures must be applied to keep these things running.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:43 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
What is happening with your CRD? I'm the traveling CRD tech, perhaps I can help?

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

2005 Gateway module. Its covered with a waxy substance.
[imgImage/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The wax is a protective layer to prevent corrosion in the event of water entry into the module. The usual method of problems is the unused connector which faces forward is corroded by rain / slush spray around the headlight.

The fix can be to dry it out with a hair dryer on low and then seal the unused connector with RTV. If you are having communication problems, the ground points behind the driver's headlight and on the fender nearby are prime problem points.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sent the Gateway module to be rebuilt/refurbished. No luck, there is an issue with the main processor. No parts available.

So, still searching for a Gateway module. Been checking all of the common places. Need to start looking outside the box. This module had another application. The liberty is only using half the pins and only 1 plug connection out of 2. Chrysler did not make this part. I may have found the original manufacture of the part. Will know in a few days.

Thanks everyone for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Very interested in seeing if you find the OEM, since my CRuD is at the stealership right now, and they are very insistent that further diagnosis of the no-crank condition requires a new FCM.

What kind of symptoms was yours exhibiting that lead you to replacing that module?

'06 VTX1800N3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Ask the stealership where they are going to find a FCM. As of
Saturday, there was none available in the Chrysler parts system, which includes dealer inventory.

Followed the suggestions that we given here. Had a Tech with a scanner spend about 3 hours doing various checks and concluded it was the FCM. Sent the FCM to a rebuilder/refurbisher in Florida. They said the main processor failed and parts were not available.

This has been a bit of an eye opener for me. Have come to the conclusion, if it has a computer in it, it is a throw away vehicle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:52 am 

According to Factory Chrysler Parts and some of the other big Mopar online parts vendors, the 3.7 gas Liberty has the exact same Front Control Module (FMC) as the diesel models.
Most all the major Mopar sites says "Discontinued" or "No Longer Available" unfortunately. :(
But a few of them still list it as available??? I would call some of them that show it as available and verify if they have it in stock and if so order it.

So, the boneyards should be full of gas Liberty's where you might pick one up hopefully.

This is what I looked up:
MODULE. Gateway. 56044599AF
This Fits Your 2005 Jeep Liberty LIMITED EDITION 3.7L Power Tech V6 A/T 4X4

This rebuilder also lists it as being available:
Auto ECM Computer Exchange > https://www.autoecmcomputerexchange.com ... 56044599af

Hope some of this is of some help? :juggle:
Best of luck!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

The Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Hyundai experts at my local NFL Hall of Famer branded supercenter directed me to source the part from the Amazon posting, and they would happily reinstall the new module for a nominal fee. BUT! They cannot guarantee that it will fix the issue, nor will they warranty the part/repair, since they didn't source the part.

I'm a little wary on shelling out the $260 for the module on Amazon, since it doesn't show a picture of the module itself (which I've pulled before to clean the grounds around it), and most of the MOPAR sites show one that looks like a gas PCM. Interestingly enough, the 05 parts fiche (fish? fisch?) shows the module to look like the gas PCM (pg 116) too. Even more interesting, is the part number for the gas PDC on the page (117) below it is the same. Kinda leads me to wonder what they might be selling... The posting does specify it is the gateway module, but all the other information around the part raises too many questions. Is the seller a legit Chrysler part dealer? Are they selling the correct module? Who was the second gunman on the grassy knoll?! Just a few too many unknowns here for me to take a $500 (part + tech fee + lube to "service" my wallet) plunge on something that might not fix my issue to begin with. Has anyone sourced one of these new, from a parts house or the amazon listing? What about one from our pals across the pond? The only other one my google-fu can come up with is a russian eBay listing, aside from the ones on the various online part houses.

Sorry for the novel, and if I come off as a donkey's rear end. I've been chasing my intermittent no-crank issues for a while, and finally surrendered to frustration and hauled the CRuD to the dealer. I had planned on starting my own thread documenting the saga, but it seemed too convenient that someone else was asking where to get the very part the local dealer told me to replace, so I figured I'd jump into the fray.

I'll probably go check out the nearby scrap yard this weekend, to be thorough. Need to get a couple things for my XJ anyway, and who knows what other treasures I'll find!

'06 VTX1800N3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for jumping into the fray. Have had the same concerns. Figured that the Amazon deal was the less risky of the others. As for the russian one, figured I already have a used one that has all the mounting tabs. Mine doesn't work,does there's?

I will stop by the jeep dealer tomorrow, check to see if the gasser uses the same FCU. Feel that it does not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:05 am 
LOST Addict

I have been to SEVERAL boneyards with a crossover list for that module, and had ZERO success locating a single vehicle on the list that had the dang thing in it.

To be clear: I found the exact make and model matches that SHOULD have had the module in it. None did, and none had anything approximating a place for that module to be mounted either (as in, if someone had gotten it before I got there). I am dubious about any of these crossover lists.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Checked with the local Chrysler dealer. The gateway module was not used in any other Chrysler product. 2005 KJ diesel only. Have not been able to confirm the OEM of the gateway module. They do not answer the phone or return emails. Believe it may be Futaba. They have a plant in Huntsville, AL.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:57 am 

Awfully strange that the Mopar sites list the same part number, 56044599AF, for the gas Liberty. :shock: :shock:
But it would not the first time they were wrong on something! :banghead:

Is this the wrong part number? Can someone confirm the part number by looking at the number on their module?
If this is the correct part number, I will go to my local Jeep dealer and do some research.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

That is the correct number. Let us know what you find out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did a little digging in a nearby pick-your-part, and found a couple of very similar modules on an 05 Grand Cherokee and a Commander, but they have an additional connector on the back side. I thought it might be possible to build a crossover harness, but after looking at the pinouts for the connectors, I don't think it would be possible without extensive surgery. And then there's the part about getting the dealer to flash it, and I'm sure there's something in there about the software/hardware interface... Anyway, I wound up biting the bullet and ordering the module off Amazon. Hopefully a second order will help to improve the 1-3 month lead time.

At least I found a nice EVIC for my parent's 06 CRD, so it wasn't a wasted trip!

'06 VTX1800N3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:13 am 
LOST Addict

Is this FCM/Gateway module near front headlight and battery tray on drivers side? If not does anyone have a pic of where it is located on the jeep? Does it have to be programmed to ECU or VIN ? I thought from earlier posts that it is basically just a bunch of connections and not computer driven.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:23 am 
LOST Member

TKB4 wrote:
Is this FCM/Gateway module near front headlight and battery tray on drivers side? If not does anyone have a pic of where it is located on the jeep? Does it have to be programmed to ECU or VIN ? I thought from earlier posts that it is basically just a bunch of connections and not computer driven.

Read the section "electronic modules" in the 2005 Jeep Service manual section 8E where they describe the ECM,BCMs etc. briefly.

They basically state that the FCM does not have any drivers in it but passes on the various Serial Data links. The picture shown in this topic definitely shows a lot of integrated modules though!

Shows a diagram of where it is located.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/