It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Hoping this isn't a sign of a failing fuel pump
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:02 pm 

WWDiesel wrote:
Well at least you got an intank lift pump out of the deal! :BANANA:

And a fuel filter head, and silicone vacuum hoses, and... :-)r

Quote:
Just went and checked mine and yep, it has a small rub spot right at the air box sensor. Not bad yet, but I could feel it.

Funnily enough, I emailed Seth last night to ask if there was a chance he had just an upper hose. He didn't, but he did mention that I wasn't the first person to have this happen. At least I can take comfort in the fact that I'm in good company on this one ;)

Quote:
Will be making a protective sleve to protect the Samco Hose.
Pictures will follow later tonight once I get it done.

Looking forward to it :D

Quote:
Thanks casm for idenifying this problem. Looks like there may be some other spots where the rocking of the engine allows things to touch and rub the boost hoses. :shock:

Yeah, I'm going to be checking the hose that comes out pretty closely in order to identify anywhere else that might have been doing the same thing. If there's anything I can do up front to eliminate those rub spots, I'm totally in favour of it.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

Last edited by casm on Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:37 pm 

Spot was worse than I thought! :shock:
casm give yourself a big pat on the back for identifying this problem! :-)r You probably saved me a boost hose and maybe some others.
Probably need to start a new post on the tech section about this issue? :idea:
I first tried simply removing the two screws that hold the sensor and rotating it 180 degrees, but it kinda put the wires in a bind and I did not like that.

Pictures by number
1.Here is what I found and how I fixed it so it never happens again. I did check on the inside of the boost hose and luckily it had not worn all the way through yet.
2.Moved the air box sensor to the top of the air box. 2 pictures showing move and wires connected to it and MAF sensor.
3. Blanked off the OEM location using some silicone sealer, black Gorilla Glue duct tape and a piece of lexan.
4. Final showing where I filled the small worn spot with silicone sealer and then wrapped it with orange Gorilla Glue duct tape.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:01 am 

WWDiesel wrote:
Spot was worse than I thought! :shock:

Your photo (below) is an almost 100% match for what I found on mine earlier. Not sure how well I'll be able to show the issue when I remove the hose in ours as it's black so the wear spots are harder to make out, but, using your photo for reference:

The big nick in the hose is where I was finally able to spot the crack on mine. I don't recall seeing another nick above it, but there certainly was one matching the one below it in the photo.

Quote:
casm give yourself a big pat on the back for identifying this problem! :-)r You probably saved me a boost hose and maybe some others.

I'm happy to be the guinea pig? :ROTFL: Seriously, though, if this does help other folks to save their hose or prevent the problem happening in the future, I'm all for it.

Quote:
Probably need to start a new post on the tech section about this issue? :idea:

Definitely, and I'm also thinking that we need one about why it's necessary to start replacing all of the rubber hoses with silicone.

Quote:
I first tried simply removing the two screws that hold the sensor and rotating it 180 degrees, but it kinda put the wires in a bind and I did not like that.

Pictures by number
1.Here is what I found and how I fixed it so it never happens again. I did check on the inside of the boost hose and luckily it had not worn all the way through yet.
2.Moved the air box sensor to the top of the air box. 2 pictures showing move and wires connected to it and MAF sensor.
3. Blanked off the OEM location using some silicone sealer, black Gorilla Glue duct tape and a piece of lexan.
4. Final showing where I filled the small worn spot with silicone sealer and then wrapped it with orange Gorilla Glue duct tape.

I like how you did that, and am now considering the same idea. What size drill bit did you use for the 'snout' on the air pressure sensor? I want to make sure that that sucker seals down as tight as it did in the original location.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Now that is very interesting!
Previous owner of mine mentioned the hose was rubbing there, he had duct-taped some plastic cards around it. I thought he said he had done so after replacing the hoses, but now I wonder! I did take the hose off and inspect it once, I couldn't see any damage inside, but I didn't pull his tape off...

Maybe it was worn before and finally failed? I'll have a closer look next chance I get. On the other hand, temps dropped from mid-90's to low 80's and it made a huge difference. Still there a bit, but much more responsive today.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:52 am 

foxmiles wrote:
Now that is very interesting!
Previous owner of mine mentioned the hose was rubbing there, he had duct-taped some plastic cards around it. I thought he said he had done so after replacing the hoses, but now I wonder! I did take the hose off and inspect it once, I couldn't see any damage inside, but I didn't pull his tape off...

Out of curiosity, did he replace them with silicone or more of the OEM rubber hoses? I have a theory regarding which one will wear faster, but would be interested to hear what you have to say on that.

BTW, you might not actually see anything without removing the tape. It can be hard to spot depending on how the wear took place.

Quote:
Maybe it was worn before and finally failed? I'll have a closer look next chance I get. On the other hand, temps dropped from mid-90's to low 80's and it made a huge difference. Still there a bit, but much more responsive today.

Same here; we're down into the mid-70s this week and that's made a very noticeable difference.

I've had a suspicion for some time that the CRD's baseline ECU maps were built around a 68°F (20°C) ambient temperature reference. It does surprisingly well at about that number.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:56 am 
LOST Addict

My son said he did a search for hydraulic hose covers or protectors and he got 10 feet for about #20 he couldn't remember specific company but may be able to find it later. I have seen it and it looks good and his was wearing in the same spot and I looked at mine and one has some early wear in the same spot also. I will update if gey brand or company/site later.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:34 am 

casm wrote:
I like how you did that, and am now considering the same idea. What size drill bit did you use for the 'snout' on the air pressure sensor? I want to make sure that that sucker seals down as tight as it did in the original location.

I used a stepped unibit and drilled one step up at a time until I was able to push the sensor in the hole for a snug fit.
Used two #10 sheet metal screws to fasten sensor to box.
The sensor does have a little small "O" ring on it which I put a little vasoline on it so it would slide in easily.
I did measure the part that sticks into the air box and it was a little over 1/4" just under 5/16". ~9/32".
If you have not got yourself some stepped unibits, get some, one of the handiest drill bits I ever used. Love them! :BANANA:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:20 am 

TKB4 wrote:
My son said he did a search for hydraulic hose covers or protectors and he got 10 feet for about #20 he couldn't remember specific company but may be able to find it later. I have seen it and it looks good and his was wearing in the same spot and I looked at mine and one has some early wear in the same spot also. I will update if gey brand or company/site later.

By any chance, was it this kind of stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Electriduct-Nylo ... B07G5NRNGP

I realise that's completely the wrong size; it's just being used as an example. Found it by Googling for 'hydraulic hose protector', which led me on to the term 'nylon protective sleeving'.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

Last edited by casm on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:21 am 

WWDiesel wrote:
I used a stepped unibit and drilled one step up at a time until I was able to push the sensor in the hole for a snug fit.
The sensor does have a little small "O" ring on it which I put a little vasoline on it so it would slide in easily.
I did measure the part that sticks into the air box and it was a little over 1/4" just under 5/16". ~9/32".
If you have not got yourself some stepped unibits, get some, one of the handiest drill bits I ever used. Love them! :BANANA:

I know what I'm buying at Home Depot today... :mrgreen:

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:13 am 
LOST Addict

He looked it up on PayPal and this is the site that he got the sleeve from and he said he thought the size was about 2 1/2 inches. He also said that this diameter would not be large enough to cover the intake side since it is larger diameter. Some of the silicone type tape that seals to itself might be strong enough to repair the hose especially with a reinforcement outside of that but who knows.
https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/Nylon- ... -p/ngb.htm

Yhays probably the same thing as the case link but you can buy it by the foot for about 5 or6 dollars a foot and I suppose you could buy several different sizes and lengths as needed and combine shipping. One drawback, I don't think they have it in RED :-)r

He also covered parts of the metal AC tubing near passenger side radiator with fuel line to protect it.
Hope this helps. Perhaps a combination of protection and cushioning as possible might be best.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:17 pm 

casm wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
The sensor does have a little small "O" ring on it which I put a little Vaseline on it so it would slide in easily.

I know what I'm buying at Home Depot today... :mrgreen:

You'll love them; makes regular drill bits almost obsolete to some degree. :P

As to hose sleeves, check these out, they got just what we need I believe!
I will be ordering some as soon as go measure the outside diameter of the damaged boost hose.
Hose Wrap, Sleeves, and Jackets:> https://www.new-line.com/clamps/hose-wr ... nd-jackets

These are available in several different colors. You attach them to the hose with some tyraps.

These are fiberglass cloth reinforced sleeves.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:46 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I like this better.
https://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-5008B-Magna-Braid-Radiator/dp/B00062ZQZ6/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Braided+Hose+Cover&qid=1570351202&sr=8-4
protects CAC hose better
thermally unaffected
variable sizing to some degree.
Prevents damage due to interior pressure. CAC hoses - even Samcos - expand significantly
prevents hose clamps from cuttting into the hose next to the clamp.

Make sure to use T-clamps at the ends to hold them tight.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:44 pm 

Parts (replacement Samcos and a Sasquatch silicone airbox-to-turbo hose) arrived during the week. Despite getting our first sub-freezing night of the season last night, it was 70°F this afternoon, so I went ahead with replacing known and potential problem children.

Couple of notes:

Sasquatch's silicone airbox-to-turbo hose ships without an elbow for the CCV hose. This isn't a big deal, because in theory you can reuse the one attached to your OEM hose. However, when I got my OEM hose out, I noticed a crack in the elbow (yay, another air leak!) that I hadn't picked up on before. Replaced the elbow with a Dorman 47043 unit from Autozone; it fit perfectly with plenty of space for hose clamps to bite into. No idea how longevity will be once it starts seeing some heat and vibration, but we'll see how it goes. FWIW, the crack was on the back side of the elbow, nearest the turbo heat shield. Makes sense that that would be the weakest point.

Double-checked the turbo impeller shaft while I was in there. It is absolutely dead-centre solid. As much as I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade the turbo, now is not the time to have to do that so I am incredibly relieved for it to still be in good health.

The turbo-to-intercooler hose had definitely worn through where it was rubbing against the air pressure sensor. It was a small but significant tear, and it's obvious as to how that would have been impacting performance and economy. I am planning on doing WWDiesel's air pressure sensor relocation mod to the airbox lid in a couple of weeks, but as I'm heading out on yet another 2600-mile round-trip on Monday, don't want to do that one until I'm back home with a full complement of tools and a spare vehicle to drive :wink:

Have not replaced the intercooler-to-manifold hose; I'm housebound this evening while other things happen, so the time to undertake that just isn't here today.

Didn't have time for a proper test loop, but on a roughly 8-mile trip to Autozone and back to return an unnecessary PCV elbow I'd picked up, the KJ is much more responsive, especially in the idle-to-1600rpm range. Soot is very substantially reduced; waiting to see if a combination of the ECU relearning what the fuel/air mix is plus just blowing out any accumulated crud does on that front.

This is promising. There's nothing like finding one thing after another to add to frustration levels, but once visible progress is being made it feels awesome.

Related: based on the notes some of us have been comparing recently, I'm increasingly of the opinion that we need a tech article on what to replace / upgrade in the general vicinity of the intake, turbo, and vacuum systems. For those of us in North America (who never got the earlier or later CRDs), these are about to be 14- and 15-year-old vehicles, and it's clear that we're seeing driveability issues being caused by OEM parts aging out. Also, with many OEM replacement parts now falling into the category of 'good luck finding them', a sticky article describing what needs to be done in these areas in order to keep these vehicles running properly would be valuable. I'm willing to contribute to it if others are as well...

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:28 pm 

Just did the first half of the 2600-mile round-trip. Power and running were good; fuel economy was not at 21mpg (hand-averaged at 75mph with cruise on and A/C off). 26-27mpg is more in line with normal for this trip.

No idea what's going on. Access to tools and the time to use them is extremely limited. Any ideas beyond double-checking all hose connections gratefully received.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6