It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about Glow Plugs and CEL
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:33 am 
LOST Newbie

1. Just wondering is there a general consensus around here about the quality of Etecno plugs? For those who have used them how long have they lasted you? At just under 2 years and 15k miles 3/4 have failed again. The car still starts fine but I have 3 DTC codes for cylinders 2,3,4. I am in warm southern CA. I'm not sure how long they actually lasted because I always had a P0102 maf CEL which I just fixed for smog and noticed the glow plug faults as well. Could something else in my car cause them to fail prematurely? I noticed idparts doesn't even seem to have the Etecno's anymore, so I suppose Ill try the Bosch 5V's this time.

2. Both based on experience and from what I remember reading about our ECU, I thought for Check Engine lights, it takes 2 full cold-warm-cold drive cycles for a code to re-appear after it has been cleared. However, I noticed that if I clear my codes with my reader, they re-appear as soon as I turn off the car and turn it right back on. Is this normal behavior or is my reader not clearing the codes properly?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Question about Glow Plugs and CEL
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I can't say much about glow plugs, mine apparently has 7v etecno plugs and it cranks longer than I expect when temps are much below 70f. I don't know if that is typical or just mine, but I'm going to try some 5v Bosch plugs before winter.

My experience with codes are circuit faults set pretty much immediately, range/performance and emission monitoring faults take longer. So unplugging a sensor (or a failed glow plug) should detect an open circuit and set immediately.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

my experience with e-technos 7V glowplugs back in 2013-2014 i went through 3 different batches. The 3rd one survived they didnt burn out. so i ordered another spare set just in case i keep it in my tool box. They are covered by warranty but i couldnt return them because of shipping costs (i live in canada) so i ended up throwing them out. Also they dont work too well in canadian winters. the best thing to get instead is 5V bosch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:48 pm 
LOST Addict

I have installed 4 sets of the etecno 7 volt steel glow plugs. This was mostly around 2015 but maybe some in 2014. I have not had any of mine fail, I believe there was a manufacture change of some kind around 2014 but there have still been a significant number of problems with them. Presently if I needed more I would definitely go with the Bosch 5 volt ones.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I have the eTecno1 5volt plugs installed, running stock 7volt programming. They've been in going on 4 years, and have worked brilliantly with no issues. I had the 7volt eTecno1 in for a couple of winter months before switching. They truly sucked.
I got both sets from IDParts.
I understand GDE could re-write the 7volt program in the ECM for much better cold weather performance, but I do not know if the recent "cease and desist" order applies to glow plugs, as EPA considers them emissions-related devices.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set