It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Highest miles on stock head gasket and bolts
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:30 am 
LOST Junkie

[quote="Diesel DanJust excuses for sub-par exhaust valves.
GM, Ford, Cummins, Navistar etc have million mile trucks with SCR,DPF, EGR that aren't known for dropping exhaust valves.
That's why I'm curious if VMI changed material composition of the replacement valves.[/quote]

VM dont make valves. They get them from a valve manufacturer in Turkey. We dont know what changes they have made with regard to composition or quality control. I have not heard of the KK CRD having these problems. Maybe the changes that occured there has fixed the problem.
Has any one heard of replaced valves failing?
There was a post recently about an alternate valve supplier in Italy. Does any one have any more details about where his valves were coming from?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:55 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
During the testing phase, I supplied several examples bought at different times of brand-new VM valves. The results came back as a perfect match in alloy and spec to the valves that were coming from engines that I worked on and supplied to the testing. Both failed and non-failed used valves were supplied.

I believe the Italian supplier is merely a vendor of the Turkish valve manufacturer. Thus far, I know that the supply chain to IDparts does go through Italy, and the valves all say made in Turkey. I do not believe (but cannot say for certain) that there is more than one supplier or vendor for these valves.

Any other sources would likely be delving into the realm of custom valves, Manley is one source for that, who I have talked with on several occasions but that option has not gone anywhere yet - they are only interested in supplying custom valves as effectively one-offs, and for an excessive cost per unit. I do not know of anyone that has contracted them for a set for their own CRD.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Kinda ironic the desire for lower EGTs but that is exactly what EGR is for.

Maybe this is why GM severed ties with VM for the 3.0L V6.
GM seen reliability issues that VM didn't and wouldn't address, hmmm.

While VM may not make the valves they are the ones that supply the specifications AND check that the vendors meet those specs. If the vendor does not meet spec and failures happen in the field that is when recalls happen and the vendor foots the bill.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:47 am 

Diesel Dan wrote:
Kinda ironic the desire for lower EGTs but that is exactly what EGR is for.

Agreed, but that comes at a horrible cost on these engines due to the engine design and how the CCV functions.
EGR's just seem to work much better on gassers, but not diesels.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Highest miles on stock head gasket and bolts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:20 am 
LOST Member

Egr is for lower NOx, That is why they also retard timing and run a cold thermostat. NOx rises with cyl temps, advancing timing is good for mpg and power but terrible for NOx levels, so they retard timing and run a cold thermostat to combat it, the egr also serves this function. Retarding the timing rises EGT as the burn continues as the mixture exits the cyl, advancing the timing keeps the heat in the cyl. I use timing to help set up turbos on the old IDI’s, advancing that timing creates more base engine power but slows the turbo comparably, move the timing the other way and the turbo comes on sooner and boosts harder.

The new eco diesels have low pressure egr to help fight carbon buildup, by using post DPF egr, but it can’t be used all the time so they also have the normal egr and cooler circuit as well

https://jalopnik.com/the-new-ram-1500-f ... 386010/amp
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:36 am 

My66dodge wrote:
Egr is for lower NOx, That is why they also retard timing and run a cold thermostat. NOx rises with cyl temps, advancing timing is good for mpg and power but terrible for NOx levels, so they retard timing and run a cold thermostat to combat it, the egr also serves this function. Retarding the timing rises EGT as the burn continues as the mixture exits the cyl, advancing the timing keeps the heat in the cyl. I use timing to help set up turbos on the old IDI’s, advancing that timing creates more base engine power but slows the turbo comparably, move the timing the other way and the turbo comes on sooner and boosts harder.
This is counter productive to me, EPA idiotic requirements to lower NOx but at the same time causing the engine to burn lots more fuel thus killing efficiency. Having to burn more fuel to get the same power to lower emissions; a very vicious cycle, Lunacy at it's best!

The new eco diesels have low pressure egr to help fight carbon buildup, by using post DPF egr, but it can’t be used all the time so they also have the normal egr and cooler circuit as well

https://jalopnik.com/the-new-ram-1500-f ... 386010/amp

Very reason I am not fond of new diesel trucks; I like my diesels with no EGR, no Cat, no DEF, no Exhaust Regen, or any of that crap to cause problems and issues!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine made it to 190,000 when I figured rockers were a must. Only 4 exhaust valves were opening and with bad rollers.... Only reason head came off was one bent valve that rocker was broke on. My opinion along with others is the rockers cause the valve issues.

Homemade front bumper with 2" reciever
Trans temp, EGT, Boost, and engine oil pressure guages

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:50 pm 
LOST Addict

The valve failure on my jeep shows absolutely no indication of being from rocker failure . I removed the original rockers which were still in excellent shape several thousand miles before the valve failure and had no functional egr for almost 100,000 miles prior and when rockers were removed the new style rockers were installed so they were essentially new when valve failed and it didn't even damage the rockers and I reused them on another CRD after removal except for the single one that was on the failed valve just in case there was unknown stress on it.

That isn't to say many of the valve failures are related to rocker failure. The rockers were so bad on the salvage jeep I bought with engine damage were the worst I could imagine with the engine still running with any power at all. I am relatively sure that failure was related to rockers though they were not actually broken.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden