It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rough Idle after engine warms up
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 pm 
LOST Member

I swear this CRD just wants to hang out in the garage and not be driven :wink:

So this is the 06 CRD that I took off the cams, found and replaced a fallen rocker, cleaned up the cam, and put in ARP studs and glow plugs and a thermostat. Fairly straight forward and simple. Well first the starter wouldn't turn from the key. With that behind us, I now have what may be another problem, but don't have much of a clue as to what could be causing it.

After replacing the Tbelt, I generally like to run the engine for a bit, to be sure I have all the stretch out of the tbelt and to check for leaks, etc. (And yes, the coolant system is fully in place and filled). So I did that, and the engine started great and ran very smoothly, including revs up to 2500rpm. Then I let it idle for a while (40+ mins) to get it up to operating temps. What I noticed is as it warmed up the idle became rougher. It started at about the 1/4 way mark on the dash temp gauge. The exhaust was a bit smokey, with unburnt fuel. The roughness goes away when the rpms are reved up. And if I let the engine cool back down it is fine again until it warms up.

My first thought was valve timing, so I rechecked that with all 3 pins. the timing was dead on. No signs at all of coolant and oil mixing. I suppose a lifter (or more) may have fallen off again (however it wasn't doing this with one lifter off before). And I did not hear any noises that would make me think something like that was happening. I also pulled the injector connectors one at a time while running, and they all make for the same change (actually smooths out a bit).

Just curious what folks here think. What can cause rough idle only when warm/hot? Should I just drive it for a while with some injector cleaner to see if that clears things up (would explain the unburnt fuel smell).

Thoughts?