It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aftermarket CAT
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Anyone use one of the aftermarket CATs from idparts?

My '06 has a GDE eco tune and cat delete with magnaflow muffler and is noisy AF.
Thinking about re-installing a CAT to make the noise levels acceptable again.

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket CAT
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:00 pm 
LOST Addict

You’d probably be better off just getting a different muffler.
Adding the cat back in won’t make much of a difference.

Noise is subjective.
I have no cat and no muffler. Exhaust turns down right under the passenger seat.
Yes it’s loud but not unbearable. I like it and surprisingly my wife doesn’t complain.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:27 pm 
LOST Addict

PM sent

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:35 pm 

Diesel Dan wrote:
Anyone use one of the aftermarket CATs from idparts?
My '06 has a GDE eco tune and cat delete with magnaflow muffler and is noisy AF.
Thinking about re-installing a CAT to make the noise levels acceptable again.

Don't add the CAT back, they are expensive anyway and harm turbo performance and raise EGT's.
Just replace/upgrade your muffler and be sure and keep the tailpipe in service all the way out to the rear of the vehicle.

I have NO CAT, a Flowmaster 942542 Series 40 Delta Flow Muffler with tailpipe and chrome tip to get it out past the rear bumper.
I have no drone at any speed and very little exhaust noise, only a pleasant note when accelerating hard. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Mine goes to the back as WWDiesel's does, except without tip. Instead I twisted the turndown 45degrees so it exits in the low pressure area behind the rear tire.

All 2 1/2" to the back
NO CAT
Flowmaster 8325508

No drone. With all windows up, the wind noise is louder than the exhaust. I only hear it when it's WOT, and even then, barely.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
You’d probably be better off just getting a different muffler.
Adding the cat back in won’t make much of a difference.

Noise is subjective.
I have no cat and no muffler. Exhaust turns down right under the passenger seat.
Yes it’s loud but not unbearable. I like it and surprisingly my wife doesn’t complain.

Quite common for trucks in emmission testing areas to drop the muffler but keep the cat and it is still pretty quiet.
Wife complains about ours and I agree, has that '80s civic with a fart can bbrrp sound and drones too.
FWIW, I don't support straight pipes on any road going vehicle.

WWDiesel wrote:

Don't add the CAT back, they are expensive anyway and harm turbo performance and raise EGT's.
Just replace/upgrade your muffler and be sure and keep the tailpipe in service all the way out to the rear of the vehicle.

I have NO CAT, a Flowmaster 942542 Series 40 Delta Flow Muffler with tailpipe and chrome tip to get it out past the rear bumper.
I have no drone at any speed and very little exhaust noise, only a pleasant note when accelerating hard.

If I went the route of a high flow CAT I'd try it w/o a muffler too. When I replaced the head gaskets on my Dmax I left the cat & muffler on that truck too. Much quieter than last couple trucks with 4" exhaust.

I'll have to check pipe diameter and look into flowmaster, haven't ran one for years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:04 pm 
LOST Member

I recently removed my stock muffler and did a side discharge similar to flash's. My cat is still there and it has not been gutted. I am surprised how not obnoxious it is. A little more gurgle at idle, but really not loud at all. No noticable difference at highway speeds.

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:07 pm 

Diesel Dan wrote:
I'll have to check pipe diameter and look into flowmaster, haven't ran one for years.

The Flowmaster 942542 Series 40 Delta Flow Muffler is an exact replacement for the stock muffler.
2.50 Center In / 2.50 Offset Out

Just remember, a CAT diminishes Turbo performance some and also raises the exhaust gas temperature coming out of the engines combustion chamber due to the higher backpressure due to the restrictive nature of the CAT honeycomb. It's not there for noise control or to enhance performance. If your want better performance, fuel mileage, and lower EGT's, get rid of it unless you have to withstand a visual emissions inspection.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
The Flowmaster 942542 Series 40 Delta Flow Muffler is an exact replacement for the stock muffler.
2.50 Center In / 2.50 Offset Out

That's assuming the exhaust is stock. There have been modifications so I need to measure to verify.
Quote:
Just remember, a CAT diminishes Turbo performance some and also raises the exhaust gas temperature coming out of the engines combustion chamber due to the higher backpressure due to the restrictive nature of the CAT honeycomb. It's not there for noise control or to enhance performance. If your want better performance, fuel mileage, and lower EGT's, get rid of it unless you have to withstand a visual emissions inspection.

Elevated EGTs are not nec a bad thing. Sustained 1300* pre-turbo....different story.
While the CAT is not intended for noise control it does give that benefit. Better performance and MPG by removing the cat is debatable but quantifiable. A good example is in the Cruze Diesel, there are 2 cars I'm aware of that have hit 1,000 mile range on single tanks. One is fully deleted and the other is 100% stock. Where the deleted cars see their advantage is town driving with no regens.

The turbo design can have more effect on back pressure than a clean CAT. Another example was my 2000 6.5TD. The GM turbos have a very poor designed exhaust housing causing excessive drive pressures regardless if a CAT is installed. When I finally replaced the stock exhaust on my truck with a 4", including a 3" DP and mandrel bent x-over there was no measurable gain in MPG and I still had to drive by the EGT gauge as max sustained #s would be too high towing.

Now if someday I decide to do a full hot tune I could see where that may overwhelm a stock CAT but would a high flow aftermarket unit handle it?

FWIW, we don't have emissions testing but I still have the stock CAT and exhaust on my Dmax too. It gets rid of the haze and being a DD/tow rig I like it that way. Want smoke and haze? Have a couple 12V cummins in the yard for that, lol!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:46 pm 

Diesel Dan wrote:
Elevated EGTs are not nec a bad thing. Sustained 1300* pre-turbo....different story.
While the CAT is not intended for noise control it does give that benefit. Better performance and MPG by removing the cat is debatable but quantifiable. A good example is in the Cruze Diesel, there are 2 cars I'm aware of that have hit 1,000 mile range on single tanks. One is fully deleted and the other is 100% stock. Where the deleted cars see their advantage is town driving with no regens.
The turbo design can have more effect on back pressure than a clean CAT. Another example was my 2000 6.5TD. The GM turbos have a very poor designed exhaust housing causing excessive drive pressures regardless if a CAT is installed. When I finally replaced the stock exhaust on my truck with a 4", including a 3" DP and mandrel bent x-over there was no measurable gain in MPG and I still had to drive by the EGT gauge as max sustained #s would be too high towing.
Now if someday I decide to do a full hot tune I could see where that may overwhelm a stock CAT but would a high flow aftermarket unit handle it?
FWIW, we don't have emissions testing but I still have the stock CAT and exhaust on my Dmax too. It gets rid of the haze and being a DD/tow rig I like it that way. Want smoke and haze? Have a couple 12V cummins in the yard for that, lol!

I beg to differ, any exhaust restriction that increases back pressure on the turbo increases EGT's.
I proved this on my Dodge 24v Cummins. (No CAT from Factory)
It has an EGT Autometer gauge and when I replaced the stock exhaust system with a 5 inch turbo back to rear bumper along with a straight through turbo muffler, it dropped the EGT's 150 degrees when pulling a load up long hills.
Air intake will also affect EGT somewhat. I played around with different air filters and the bigger and less restrictive filter would help keep me out of 1300+ when pouring the fuel to it.
But to each his own, if you want a CAT on your vehicle, it's yours.... :mrgreen:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:22 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
I beg to differ, any exhaust restriction that increases back pressure on the turbo increases EGT's.

In the case of the GM 6.5TD the biggest restriction is the turbo.
Quote:
I proved this on my Dodge 24v Cummins. (No CAT from Factory)
It has an EGT Autometer gauge and when I replaced the stock exhaust system with a 5 inch turbo back to rear bumper along with a straight through turbo muffler, it dropped the EGT's 150 degrees when pulling a load up long hills.
Air intake will also affect EGT somewhat. I played around with different air filters and the bigger and less restrictive filter would help keep me out of 1300+ when pouring the fuel to it.

You must of had a tuner on that 24V to hit those temps!
What year is it?
Quote:
But to each his own, if you want a CAT on your vehicle, it's yours.... :mrgreen:

Yup, that's why I was asking if anyone else has run one. :)
My CAT equipped Dmax gets better MPG than many deleted trucks are reporting too. :wink:
Would be nice if I can get the Jeeps exhaust as quiet as my 2.0L Cruze diesel.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:36 am 

Diesel Dan wrote:
You must of had a tuner on that 24V to hit those temps!
What year is it?

98 24V and yes it has lots of goodies...and rocks!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:

Had a 98 as well but was a 12V, QCSB Sport. Was broad sided 3 days after we bought it. :5SHOTS:
Also had a '89, 01 and now a '95.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:56 pm 

Diesel Dan wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

Had a 98 as well but was a 12V, QCSB Sport. Was broad sided 3 days after we bought it. :5SHOTS:
Also had a '89, 01 and now a '95.

Looks like you like those 12v's.

My 98

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Looks like you like those 12v's.

Like the sound of the I6, 12V are cheap and reliable to operate but I have no issues running a 24V with a VP44 pump either. The VP44 pumps drive better IMO.

Also owned many 6.2/6.5s, diesel cruze, 421 Unimog, diesel ZRT Kubota, diesel RVT Kubota.
Thought about a diesel conversion for my 1980 monza too. :shock: …..actually still an option..... :lol: