It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: hard to start
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:53 pm 
LOST Member

Out of curiosity, you say that there's no air in the fuel. How did you test for that?

Long length of clear tube.

Starting is not too bad now and the only codes now are p0108 and p0105 and from that I assume that there is a wiring problem, but where to start.

BTW. I had 29 years at sea maintaining what I would call proper diesels but you cant walk around inside the crankcase of these little beasts and I have never had to think about electronics, we had electricians to go gray over that, so now I am LOST.

Straight through exhaust
Airtex fuel pump
2 micron filter
2" lift

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:20 pm 

You have replaced the MAP sensor, so baring that the new sensor is not bad out of the box, time to check the wiring.
2006's stateside have a history of wiring harness chaffing right behind the fuel filter head assembly.
I would unbolt and pull the fuel filter assembly away from the firewall and check the wiring harness in that location.
I am assuming 06 downunder CRD's are similar. Not a lot to draw on for right hand drive vehicles.
If nothing found there, closely check the wires at the MAP connector, pins inside the connector all for any issues. Bad wires, loose pins, etc...
Trace the wiring harness from the MAP sensor connector all the way to the ECM and inspect for any problems i.e. rubbing.
Next unplug the wiring harness from the ECM and look real closely for any pins that look discolored.
If any are found, use some fine emory cloth to clean the pin being very careful.

Report any findings.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:21 pm 

phum wrote:
casm wrote:
Out of curiosity, you say that there's no air in the fuel. How did you test for that?

Long length of clear tube.

OK, that's fair :D

Quote:
Starting is not too bad now and the only codes now are p0108 and p0105 and from that I assume that there is a wiring problem, but where to start.

Wiring. Deoxidise connectors and plugs, check for breaks, wear, rubs, etc.

What confuses me here is that you're having an inconsistent gaggle of codes come up. It's not really clear why the batch of codes you got at first would reduce down to P0108 and P0105 with little intervention, though cleaning the ground / earthing point could have helped. Doing the same for the ECU may not hurt.

Quote:
BTW. I had 29 years at sea maintaining what I would call proper diesels but you cant walk around inside the crankcase of these little beasts and I have never had to think about electronics, we had electricians to go gray over that, so now I am LOST.

If it's any consolation, I went from '70s- / '80s-era diesels to a modern VW TDi motor, then back to the CRD. It's been a bit confusing here at times as well ;)

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:45 pm 
LOST Member

I may have found a problem. There is a single wire coming out of the loom below the alternator , it has a small female spade on the end. It will reach the alternator and there a few pins it will fit but I can see no evidence of a pin with any marks scratches that may indicate where it came from.

Any ideas

Straight through exhaust
Airtex fuel pump
2 micron filter
2" lift

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Post a picture of the wires.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:28 pm 
LOST Member

How do you post an image here?
On Sir Sams noob guide there is an image showing the top view of the alt. I beleive my single wire goes to the socket on top of the alt.with 2pins, but which pin?

Straight through exhaust
Airtex fuel pump
2 micron filter
2" lift

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:56 pm 
LOST Addict

The easiest way to post pic is to host it on another site like Imgur which is free and then post a link to it. Are you talking about the pic with the brownish wire on left and the greenish wire on the right in the two wire connector on top of the alternator. If so, do you have a connector there with 1 wire in it or no wires in it or no connector?

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:07 am 
LOST Member

Thats the socket, its got 2 pins in it.
I have no plug that fits it but a single wire with a a small female push on connector that might to go there, the wire appears to be black with a blue green stripe

Straight through exhaust
Airtex fuel pump
2 micron filter
2" lift

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:53 pm 

phum wrote:
Thats the socket, its got 2 pins in it.
I have no plug that fits it but a single wire with a a small female push on connector that might to go there, the wire appears to be black with a blue green stripe

Looking at the FSM for both the 05 & 06 models that we have available for US models. Not sure your Aussie model is the same.
But strangely if you look up an alternator for an 05 and a 06, the same part number comes up for both years. :shock: :?

For the 05 model, Section 8W, page 20-3
it shows only one wire going to the No. 2 pin on the alternator that goes to the Front Control Module.
it lists it as a BR/DG wire. (Brown with a dark green stripe)

For the 06 model, Section 8W, page 20-2
it shows one wire going to the No. 1 pin on the alternator that goes to the Body Control Module.
it lists it as a BR/DG wire. (Brown with a dark green stripe)
it shows a second wire going to the No. 2 pin on the alternator that simply goes to earth ground.
it lists is as a BK wire, (Black)

The Factory service manuals are available online at:> http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:29 pm 
LOST Member

thanks for the link. mine must be your 05 model late 06 here.
any idea which pin is which no marks on the socket I can find

Straight through exhaust
Airtex fuel pump
2 micron filter
2" lift

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:46 pm 
LOST Addict

I have an observation that confuses the issue even further for me. I had never noticed that there may be only one wire going to the two wire connector on 05 models so I went out to look at mine . I looked at two different 05 models and sure enough there is only one wire connected here and it is a dark wire with dark green stripe the non used side has a bright green wire that is cut off at the connector on both 05 CRDs. I then went and looked at an 06 CRD and it is exactly like the 05 models with only one wire connected and the bright green one cut off !!!

I would suggest that OP needs to look at a manual meant for his Aussie model or at least see if he can find out from another similarCRD in Australia. It might also help to trace where that wire goes as it seems like it should go to either FCM or BCM if its anything like ours. Even if traced and it does go to one of those still wouldn't know which pin to attach it to without some other info. I also do not think it would make any difference in the way it starts or runs but you never know.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:33 pm 
LOST Member

TKB4 wrote:
I have an observation that confuses the issue even further for me. I had never noticed that there may be only one wire going to the two wire connector on 05 models so I went out to look at mine . I looked at two different 05 models and sure enough there is only one wire connected here and it is a dark wire with dark green stripe the non used side has a bright green wire that is cut off at the connector on both 05 CRDs. I then went and looked at an 06 CRD and it is exactly like the 05 models with only one wire connected and the bright green one cut off !!!

I would suggest that OP needs to look at a manual meant for his Aussie model or at least see if he can find out from another similarCRD in Australia. It might also help to trace where that wire goes as it seems like it should go to either FCM or BCM if its anything like ours. Even if traced and it does go to one of those still wouldn't know which pin to attach it to without some other info. I also do not think it would make any difference in the way it starts or runs but you never know.

Which pin did it go to on the ones you looked at?
There doesn't appear to be a manual for RHD. models. Mechanic that I spoke to told me that dealerships had nothing on vehicles before 2010 when a company shuffle apparently happened.
Strangely I had a recall notice from Chrysler themselves earlier in the year for a problem with the rear suspension but when I took it to a dealer to have it fixed the new part was nothing like the existing and the dealer declared that the suspension was modified and would have to be returned to standard before I could leave. I showed them adds from Morris and Quadratrac showing parts exactly the same as fitted to mine and made excuses and sent me away.

Straight through exhaust
Airtex fuel pump
2 micron filter
2" lift

LOST Member

TKB4 wrote:

There doesn't appear to be a manual for RHD. models. Mechanic that I spoke to told me that dealerships had nothing on vehicles before 2010 when a company shuffle apparently happened.
Strangely I had a recall notice from Chrysler themselves earlier in the year for a problem with the rear suspension but when I took it to a dealer to have it fixed the new part was nothing like the existing and the dealer declared that the suspension was modified and would have to be returned to standard before I could leave. I showed them adds from Morris and Quadratrac showing parts exactly the same as fitted to mine and made excuses and sent me away.

Straight through exhaust
Airtex fuel pump
2 micron filter
2" lift

LOST Member

TKB4 wrote:

Straight through exhaust
Airtex fuel pump
2 micron filter
2" lift

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:16 pm 

Went out and took a picture of mine, an 05 model.
The single wire definitely goes to the No. 2 connector just like the wiring diagram shows.
This would be the Right hand terminal as looking from the back or rear of the alternator as pictured.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:54 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks, will try

Straight through exhaust
Airtex fuel pump
2 micron filter
2" lift

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:04 am 
LOST Addict

I went out and looked at my 06 model just now and the wire attachment is exactly the same as my 05 CRD so connected to right pin as viewed from firewall side of alternator. I guess this means this is another FSM mistake found , either that or an assembly line manufacture mistake :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:17 am 

TKB4 wrote:
I went out and looked at my 06 model just now and the wire attachment is exactly the same as my 05 CRD so connected to right pin as viewed from firewall side of alternator. I guess this means this is another FSM mistake found , either that or an assembly line manufacture mistake :shock:

Strange to me that if you look up alternator part numbers, they are the same for both 05 & 06 CRD's.
Does not make sense that they would have different charging system wiring between the two models using the same alternator.
But not surprising on the FSM, it's not the first time an error has been discovered.
Maybe some later 06's do have a different connector and wiring? :?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:40 pm 
LOST Addict

The 05 and 06 CRD alternators and wiring are exactly the same.
That one small gauge wire connects to the voltage regulator.
All that one wire does is excite the field.
In most cases, that one wire can be disconnected and the alternator will continue to charge just fine. Inside the regulator is a capacitor and as long it has some charge in it will support the excitation.
(I know this because I repaired my alternator by replacing the regulator and disassembling the old regulator)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 pm 

flash7210 wrote:
The 05 and 06 CRD alternators and wiring are exactly the same.
That one small gauge wire connects to the voltage regulator.
All that one wire does is excite the field.
In most cases, that one wire can be disconnected and the alternator will continue to charge just fine. Inside the regulator is a capacitor and as long it has some charge in it will support the excitation.
(I know this because I repaired my alternator by replacing the regulator and disassembling the old regulator)

Good to know, same as the "One Wire" GM alternator used in many older applications when updating from a generator to an alternator.
Have installed a many of the GM One Wire's on old tractors, trucks, cars, etc.

Do you happen to know what the voltage is going in to excite the field? Is it 12v like the GM units?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next