It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible Liberty CRD purchase, OD not working until warm
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm looking at possibly purchasing another CRD. 2005, 150k miles. Seller states the OD doesn't work until it's warm. Simple fix, or major transmission problems ahead?

IIRC, the trannys on these are sorta problematic anyway. I actually wouldn't mind putting in a performance rebuilt / newer trans and other upgrades like a euro TC, etc., rather than trying a bunch of fixes in succession. Thoughts?

Only those who do not move do not die...but are they not already dead? Jean Behra

Post subject: Re: Possible Liberty CRD purchase, OD not working until warm
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:44 pm 
LOST Addict

The transmissions are actually pretty long lasting in general but not if the torque converter was causing shudder and eventually early failure or neglected filter and fluid changes with only ATF-4 and overfilling a quart or so. I personally would not choose to go with the Euro torque converter and I have a euro and two Hemi TC s . Currently I would go with a suncoast as available if money no concern or Florida TC if it was and there are a couple of others members have reported on and don't forget to replace the front pump.

As far as the OD don't know but mine stays in OD continuously stone cold and warm. Maybe they are referring to drain back where it won't go into any gear for several seconds. If not find out when they did fluid and filter change and what fluid they used .

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:21 am 
LOST Addict

Normal condition. They won't shift into OD until the temp reaches a certain point, but it's not very high. Usually obtained in a few minutes of on time except in really cold conditions

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:25 am 

Mountainman wrote:
Normal condition. They won't shift into OD until the temp reaches a certain point, but it's not very high. Usually obtained in a few minutes of on time except in really cold conditions

True, but his signature says he is way down in central Florida and temperatures (70's - 90's) this time of year is not be low enough to affect the OD lockout. :?
I am assuming the vehicle is in the same general area.
Although it could be a bad transmission fluid temperature sensor. :idea:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

True, but his signature says he is way down in central Florida and temperatures (70's - 90's) this time of year is not be low enough to affect the OD lockout. :?
I am assuming the vehicle is in the same general area.
Although it could be a bad transmission fluid temperature sensor. :idea:

Thanks for the replies.
2005 CRD in question is in NC, north of Greensboro. Sooo...still normal for this time of year? It also appears to have a lift kit and larger tires / wheels.
BTW, what model trans is in a 2005 4x4 CRD?
If I decide to pull the trigger and buy it, is a trans fluid and filter change and replacing the trans fluid temp sensor a good starting point?
If it's a worst case scenario, any recommendations for a transmission rebuild vendor and any upgrades, shift kits, etc. while it's out?
Also, what is the issue with the euro TC?
Any recommendations for a local vendor and/or member that can work on it? I'm a pretty capable DIY'er, but I'm in a condo and garage-less. :(

Only those who do not move do not die...but are they not already dead? Jean Behra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:03 pm 

914rrr wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
2005 CRD in question is in NC, north of Greensboro. Sooo...still normal for this time of year? It also appears to have a lift kit and larger tires / wheels.
BTW, what model trans is in a 2005 4x4 CRD?
If I decide to pull the trigger and buy it, is a trans fluid and filter change and replacing the trans fluid temp sensor a good starting point?
If it's a worst case scenario, any recommendations for a transmission rebuild vendor and any upgrades, shift kits, etc. while it's out?
Also, what is the issue with the euro TC?
Any recommendations for a local vendor and/or member that can work on it? I'm a pretty capable DIY'er, but I'm in a condo and garage-less. :(

The transmission is a 545RFE 5 speed with OD. Very common transmission used in a multitude of Chrysler products including Ram Trucks.
If you pull the transmission for any reason, have the front pump assembly replaced with the updated pump and install a decent better torque converter. Replace the transmission fluid temperature sensor and of course new filters and ATF+4 transmission fluid. Most only recommend the Mopar transmission filters as a lot of the parts stores are cheap made in China junk and you don't want to use them.

There are wear plungers and bores in the front pump that wear out over time and need to be replaced as mileage dictates.
As to TC, SunCoast is the very best, but it is not cheap. Cry once and never have to worry about it again.

If you not planning on keeping it forever, there some other good options on TC's such as a Hemi TC or a Florida TC which are not nearly as costly.
Most install a TransGo kit as well to increase the line pressure to firm up the shifts a little.

http://www.suncoastdiesel.com/ (have to call them to special order a TC for the Jeep CRD as they no longer list it on their web site but still can provide one)

https://www.floridatorqueconverters.com/
Florida Torque Converter have two shops in your area, Tampa and Cape Coral. I would contact them about a rebuild or at a minimum a new front pump and torque converter.
As for a used transmission, quite a few have installed a bone yard transmission out of a Ram truck and had good results.

As you can see, you have several good options....... :juggle: :5SHOTS:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount