It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Source for 3.2v LED for Dashboard Replacement CEL lamp.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Need source for suitable low-intensity red LED to replace CEL lamp in speedometer unit. Should be a 3.2v LED with long leads intended for custom projects.

I bought my 2006 Liberty CRD used, 50K miles, about 6 years ago. The dealer fixed a check engine condition by opening the dash, twisting the CEL LED off with pliers, and replacing speedo-unit. They hoped next customer would not notice. With 36 idiot lights in the dash, this idiot did not notice the missing CEL lamp at time of purchase.

I replace the missing CEL LED with a Radio Shack "high intensity" blue lamp. Only thing I could find. It was so obnoxious, I covered the lamp with small piece of electrical tape stuck to the bezel to reduce the glare. Now, the solder or the LED let go, lamp not working, and I need to replace. I periodically check my engine conditions with a reader, but prefer the instant warning provided by a working CEL.

Thanks for your help!

Post subject: Re: Source for 3.2v LED for Dashboard Replacement CEL lamp.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Digikey or Mouser would be my sources (at least in the US, not sure how shipping would be elsewhere), if they don't have 1000's in stock you probably have a spec wrong somewhere (didn't see any 3.2v ones, lots of 5v and a few 3v)

If the blue one was a 3.2v and burnt out 5v might be what you need. You may need to play around with filters, but here are some red through hole leds:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/optoelectronics/led-indication-discrete/105?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&pv37=1&pv319=31&pv319=681&pv319=1496&pv319=248&pv319=249&pv319=468&pv319=256&pv319=693&pv319=257&pv319=37&pv319=1027&pv319=265&pv319=117&pv319=266&pv319=267&pv319=33&pv319=1556&pv69=80&sf=1&FV=ffe00069&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

I usually buy stuff from Digikey myself, they will ship a few things first class pretty cheap and are really quick to my place.

Edit: Also my CEL is yellow. (I think that's the standard in the US)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:29 pm 

palouse wrote:
Need source for suitable low-intensity red LED to replace CEL lamp in speedometer unit. Should be a 3.2v LED with long leads intended for custom projects.
I bought my 2006 Liberty CRD used, 50K miles, about 6 years ago. The dealer fixed a check engine condition by opening the dash, twisting the CEL LED off with pliers, and replacing speedo-unit. They hoped next customer would not notice. With 36 idiot lights in the dash, this idiot did not notice the missing CEL lamp at time of purchase.
I replace the missing CEL LED with a Radio Shack "high intensity" blue lamp. Only thing I could find. It was so obnoxious, I covered the lamp with small piece of electrical tape stuck to the bezel to reduce the glare. Now, the solder or the LED let go, lamp not working, and I need to replace. I periodically check my engine conditions with a reader, but prefer the instant warning provided by a working CEL.
Thanks for your help!

This is what I have on file, hope it is of some help.
Quote:
Dash or instrument cluster bulb:
Mopar OEM: 4839738AA
Dorman pt. no.: 639-006
GM pt. no.: 22695949
Bulb/base type: B8.4D (LED)
B8.5D can be made to fit with slight modification to base.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:16 am 
LOST Addict

I got a cluster here that brake fluid ruined the face and plastic cover. should still be functional, either reprogram to your milage or remove and solder OEM led onto your board?

Lots of KJs in junkyard to rob clusters from for parts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you to all that replied.

Sir Sam:
You may have an option that will save me time. If you are offering your plastic-cover-damaged cluster, please PM. I am very interested.
Your cluster would allow me to think through the steps, and likely provide replacement(s). I thought about a cluster from a wrecking yard, but the amount of time to get it out is not worth it. Removing my cluster before deciding on a final fix means that I will be without Jeep for the duration.

foxmiles, I had checked Mouser, but could not tell what was appropriate "brightness". Most important, amber is the correct color, not red. Interesting no 3.2v, given that LED units are voltage sensitive. I am certain 3.2v was the correct voltage, but need to research some more.

WWDiesel, I replaced the LED 5-6 years ago, and forgot about the bulb bases that I saw on the circuit board. Originally, I simply de-soldered the remaining tabs (not seeing a base), inserted the legs of the new LED into the now open circuit board base holes, and soldered. A bulb base is appropriate for the board, and I get the correct brightness and color. A long-leg LED is easier to protect with a heat sink (small metal clamp). Those bulb base leads are small! Unfortunately, I don't remember that the spot on the circuit board having a hole for the bulb base (B8.4D, for example). I can't remember.