It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: we need a pic showing location of all engine wiring shorts
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

if this already exists, my search abilities have failed me and come up empty. :( I'm about to begin the process of hunting down what is likely a chafed wire going to that mercedes sensor and thought it'd be super cool and useful if we could put together an image circling the common areas of harness failure so owners have a starting point. :)

1 Diesel Liberty and 2 and a half Comanches

Post subject: Re: we need a pic showing location of all engine wiring shor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:09 pm 
LOST Addict

unfortunately I don't think I took any pics of ones I found but I did have one going to mercedes sensor and it was just toward firewall from thermostat area IIRC

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:50 pm 

Many 06 owners have experienced wiring chafing and / or shorts in harness behind the fuel filter head.

Here is one Sir Sam had on the engine and took pictures:
Wire short behind alternator bracket where harness is routed over top of engine.
viewtopic.php?p=894234&sid=70d1dbca6516058fbac03441bcc518f2#p894234

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:09 am 
LOST Member

You will never get a definitive list of wiring short locations but as stated the 2006 CRD has a problem behind the fuel filter mounting bracket and near the Alternator.

The cable harness assemblies would have been fitted mainly by workers and each worker would have a slightly different take on how it should be fitted.

Also at any Service or repair action the cables are moved aside for access and then not put back in the same place.

Exposed wire groups need to get wrapped up together with good insulation and placed back in place carefully to avoid an individual wire chaffing through to engine/chassis.

If owners post nice clear pictures of problems they have found it would definitely help others.

My main problem I had was that on my Export RHD 2002 CRD the main engine harness runs all the way around the engine bay and up front runs through a metal tube under the radiator...impossible to get to!
A mild front-end collision caused damage to this metal tube so that random wires grounded to chassis or to other random wires causing weird problems such as when I turned on the front wipers the charge voltage would rapidly rises to 17 volts at which stage the CEL lights up and engine cuts out!
Start up the engine and this repeats. I had to do a long trip in pouring rain and by the time I got home the battery had boiled itself to destruction.

I had about 10 similar faults in this area and only way around it was to cut off the offending wires at both ends and at splice points and replace the wire completely! :?

Fortunately I know my electronics or else I would have had to dump the Jeep years ago! :wink: