It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WEBASTO
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

I thought it would be nice if I did a post on my Webasto install. I did quite a bit of research for install articles and posts before I took on the project. I found some posts and a badly converted German to English install document for the CRD (Cherokee Euro).

I started out buy the Sasquatch battery tray and the Webasto unit off Ebay. I found a place that sold the install kit with the Programmable timer for around 980.00 shipped which was a heck of a deal. I may buy another next summer for my daughters CRD.

My first order of business was to install the included fuel pickup line in my tank. I used a 1 inch hole saw per instructions on the tank in front of the fuel pump sender unit in the most recessed part of the tank. I ended up shimming the fuel tank about 3/8 of an inch due to the pickup line hitting the bottom of the Jeep. Due to how the line exited the tank and the fitting, the 90 degree bend in the hard line was just a bit too tall and I wanted to make sure there was no rubbing. I installed the secondary fuel pump on the back frame rail just foward of where it curves up toward the rear wheel well. Route line per install manual paying attention to hard to soft line caveats.

I mounted the heater on its side on the bottom of the battery tray. I used a hex deck screw backwards in my electric drill to install the mounting screws into the Webasto instead of running around town look for a special bit. I ran the exhaust line down the gap along the left side of the radiator and clamped it off in front of the sway bar so it doenst touch anything that can melt.

I had previously done both stages of EGR delete, so as far as routing the coolant lines I turned the one coming out of the viscous heater to the input on the Webasto and the exit to the input of the heater core. I did purchase some bulk coolant lines, a few 5/8 ID barb to barb fitting and some hose clamps. The barbed fittings were a tough find but I found them at the local Menards store after no luck at 5 plumbing warehouses. I routed one line over the radiator the the other over the top of the engine where the EGR hard coolant line previous was.

Be prepared to shorten some wiring. The wiring bundles out of the box are configured for a Semi truck so there is much excess. As far as the digital controller. I used a NATO mount and routed the wiring to the right of the steering wheel. There is a small rectangular closeout panel that you can pop off and route the wiring out without having to drill any holes. The best part is that in the summer, I can take the controller off the NATO mag mount and disconnect the head unit while I don't need it.

Overall it was a very easy install, just routing lines and wires and connecting things. The only additional things I purchased were some sticky back shims, barbed hose fitting, some coolant line, hose clamps and a couple electrical connectors to connect the power and ground to the battery. I already had heat shrink and the means for cutting, soldering wires to get rid of the excess on hand.

Good luck and happy installing. Its not as hard as you may think. Dropping the fuel tank in my garage was probably the most time consuming since I did it by myself. I got creative with a piece of plywood, a floor jack and a couple small jack stands.

Post subject: Re: WEBASTO
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone looked into retrofitting the small heaters from the German cars they look like they were a stock option and they’re pretty inexpensive.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Is there a brand name for them?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

There stamped Webasto on the spec plates they are called top evo on eBay.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

It looks like the Top EVO is a newer model. A full install kit is a bit less than the Thermo C. Having the manual for the Thermo C, it has additional features such as controlling you heater fan. Depending on which controller you go with, the prices are close.