It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New rockers, how to lubricate?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 pm 
LOST Member

I've got everything stripped down to the head. Letting the turbo bolts soak, I only see two but the FSM says 4? I guess there are two more down below? I know I don't need to pull that to do the rockers but I'm pulling the head to remove a broken glow plug.

The FSM also says to lube the new rockers and I remember reading a post where one member soaked them, Is this done in regular engine oil? And to lube the rockers can I just use regular wheel bearing grease or does it need to be something special? I've not opened the IDParts box yet, they may have instructions for the rockers enclosed, I'll do that tonight.

The FSM also said to store the lifters upright. I assume this is to keep them from draining out all the oil? I didn't read that part until they sat horizontal for 24 hours, can I just soak them too?

Many thanks,

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

Post subject: Re: New rockers, how to lubricate?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:49 pm 
LOST Addict

I let mine sit in a bucket of motor oil for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Proper lubrication of any internal part, especially if threaded, can save you a ton of wear that might occur on dry start otherwise. If you're doing any kind of tensioned bolts, etc., use something like this: https://lucasoil.com/products/engine-bu ... embly-lube

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:54 am 
LOST Addict

Yeah, I use coffee can of motor oil for a good while and assembly lube on the rollers, which may also help you from knocking a rocker off on the reassembly

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:47 am 
LOST Member

Soaked mine in motor oil in a clean cottage cheese container for a little while, pumped the lifters, and drip dried a few seconds before installation so it didn't run excess oil off the top of the head. Also used a dab of assembly lube on top of each valvestem to hold them in place.

I cut some 2-3" pieces of different diameter plastic conduit and used them as spacers to keep the cam/intake assembly off the rockers until it was positioned. I think 3/4" and 1" OD on the conduit. Rest them against a head bolt, or nut; not a rocker. Worked great. You can eyeball all the rockers from the front with a bright light before you lower it.

Clock the exhaust cam notch to about 2:00 and the intake notch at about 8:00 and the lobes will be more out of the way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:44 am 
LOST Member

OK thanks. I'll soak 'em in motor oil and get some assembly lube.

Good tip on the conduit spacers. I have a bunch of pvc scraps laying around.

I checked with the mirror last night and found a hole with no bolt on the bottom turbo mount but still that only totals up to 3, but there is 4 right? And how in the heck do you all access them??? I broke the top rear free but can't even figure out how to get a wrench, let alone a socket on them. Do you all use stubbys or something???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:41 am 
LOST Member

First observation was that it was going to be easier to pull the head with the exhaust manifold, hence removing the turbo. Is this the easier route? Those bottom manifold bolts look harder to get to than the turbo.

Or should I pull the head with the manifold AND turbo and then break it all down? The oil return line is well hidden too...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:42 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The lifters are only filled with oil by pressure - they are pressurized hydraulic lash adjusters. So soaking them in oil is a waste of time, especially with the new design that is much closer tolerance internally. They will be pressurized by the oil when the engine starts, no need to do anything with those. The rollers also don't usually get anything, I've done both ways - dry and drooled 5w-40 or gear oil on them, same results either way.

Now for deep engine parts (main and rod bearings and such) go wild with gear oil. You can't use too much. Cover everything.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:29 pm 

You can use Engine Assembly Lube on any moving parts when assembling an engine. Put a little on the cam lobes to prelube the rocker rollers for startup.
It protects metal to metal moving parts during the critical dry start time period until oil pressure fills everything and starts lubricating the critical parts.
Real Good stuff and available in different brands at most any auto parts store like NAPA or Autozone. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:38 pm 
LOST Addict

You guys got me reading...

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/0 ... and-lubes/

So, I think this guy is saying I should switch from assembly grease to plain oil on the rollers?

Also, I'm not taking any chances on the rods and mains, and I guess I'll switch to the heavier oil that I use in my cummins. The FSM calls for regular motor oil.

What do you guys use for rods and mains (diesel)?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:44 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
So, I think this guy is saying I should switch from assembly grease to plain oil on the rollers?
Also, I'm not taking any chances on the rods and mains, and I guess I'll switch to the heavier oil that I use in my cummins. The FSM calls for regular motor oil.

Oil does not stay on parts like assembly lube or lite grease does.
As to rods and mains; before assembly lube came along, built a many an engine using white lithium grease and never had a bearing failure during the startup of a rebuilt engine. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:46 pm 
LOST Addict

krb wrote:
OK thanks. I'll soak 'em in motor oil and get some assembly lube.

Good tip on the conduit spacers. I have a bunch of pvc scraps laying around.

I checked with the mirror last night and found a hole with no bolt on the bottom turbo mount but still that only totals up to 3, but there is 4 right? And how in the heck do you all access them??? I broke the top rear free but can't even figure out how to get a wrench, let alone a socket on them. Do you all use stubbys or something???

Yup, there's 4. They are easy compared to the turbo drain tube. I just use regular 3/8" sockets and a 13mm wrench. Yeah, pulling them attached to the head is much easier, but you'll want to use a shop crane, or destroy your back and turbo drain. But you still have to pull the turbo oil feed, and egr tube.
There's a 8mm bolt hidden on the back of the head also.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:51 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Oil does not stay on parts like assembly lube or lite grease does.
As to rods and mains; before assembly lube came along, built a many an engine using white lithium grease and never had a bearing failure during the startup of a rebuilt engine. :D

The NAPA assembly lube I use looks like white lithium grease, and like to separate, I should probably replace it.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:22 am 
LOST Member

All good info, thanks for the replies.

From the article it sounds like assembly lube is still good to use (except on the rollers!) - just makes sure it dissolves in oil, which seems like a no brainer to me but I guess there must be some out there that don't. I need to re-read to make sure it all sinks in.

Got the drain tube off last night, now onto the turbo mounting bolts...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:41 pm 
LOST Addict

I put grease on top valve stems to help hold rockers in position. I did soak in same oil I use in engine for at least 4 hours but doubt its necessary. I used pure STP oil additive as an assembly lube this stuff is super slick and just try to hold a screwdriver by tip after its been dipped in this and its fairly thick. I think most any thick / sticky grease that will fully dissolve in oil would be fine its just tp prevent dry run initially.

I know you have already started removing turbo but my preference is to remove manifold the bolts are not that hard to get to except for two and just be patient with 1/4 inch breaker bar and 12mm or 13mm socket and you would be surprised (thanks to papa indigo for that hint long ago) ( note some of the manifold nuts I have received in kits ,pretty sure from ID parts are 12mm) . It will still help to loosen or remove the bottom turbo support bracket bolt.

It is almost impossible to knock the rockers off when replacing the valve cover if you use two or three bolts ground to correct length in front and toward back of the head to guide it on.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:39 am 
LOST Member

I just now looked at my new rockers and they came with lifters - duh. I figured I was reusing the old ones...

You guys that work on these motors for fun are masochists. I'm down to the one turbo bolt and/or the two inner most manifold bolts. All of which are impossible with the tool supply I have...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:53 pm 
LOST Addict

krb wrote:
I just now looked at my new rockers and they came with lifters - duh. I figured I was reusing the old ones...

You guys that work on these motors for fun are masochists. I'm down to the one turbo bolt and/or the two inner most manifold bolts. All of which are impossible with the tool supply I have...

Can't get those manifold bolts until the turbo is off.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:10 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
Can't get those manifold bolts until the turbo is off.
On my last teardown I left the turbo attached to the manifold, worked really well since the turbo/manifold bolts are also hard to get to. Was able to get in there (top middle nut) with a socket on the end of a 3/8" breaker bar. I believe the rest were accessible with some sort of extension configuration.

2011 VW Routan - Wish it had a CRD!
2011 Dodge Durango - HEMI, 4WD, Factory Tow Hook & Skid Plates

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:53 am 
LOST Member

So fool4wheelin, you pulled the head with the exhaust manifold & turbo attached?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:31 am 
LOST Junkie

krb wrote:
So fool4wheelin, you pulled the head with the exhaust manifold & turbo attached?

I always pull the head with manifold and turbo attached. I also reaaasemble with it together. I just make sure I eat my wheaties that morning