It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 CRD Normal Operating Temp?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:21 pm 
LOST Member

Question. Mine runs at around 1/4 in the gauge I wanted to ask you guys what is normal. Winter here sometimes even drops below a quarter.

In summer only with AC on it will run straight up and down half way.

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post subject: Re: 2006 CRD Normal Operating Temp?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:38 pm 

jagster936 wrote:
Question. Mine runs at around 1/4 in the gauge I wanted to ask you guys what is normal. Winter here sometimes even drops below a quarter.
In summer only with AC on it will run straight up and down half way.
Thx!

The normal temperature on the gauge regardless of time of year for this engine with AC on or off after engine has ran long enough to warm to normal operating temperature is 176 deg.F.
It should be one tic mark to the left of 12:00.
If it is not rising to 176 deg.F mark on the gauge, then your thermostat is bad and needs to be replaced. (Stuck open, they are designed to fail in open position)

Mopar replacement from IDParts.com is best, don't waste money on Chinese knockoffs. :> https://www.idparts.com/thermostat-oem- ... -2719.html
Do Not install an in hose thermostat as it has been proven to cause blown head gaskets and / or cracked heads!

Normal Operating Temperature:

Gauge temperature marks breakdown:

:> https://www.idparts.com/thermostat-oem-liberty-crd-p-2719.html

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm 
LOST Member

Wow thanks for all info! That’s one crazy looking thermostat lol never seen that. Guess it’s embedded or something. Is this a hard job? I’m mechanically inclined do all work myself.

It’s surprising it did go to full temp when AC was on if thermostat is running open. Under light loads I would expect it To run cold also with AC on In summer if cooling system is working properly.

Maybe it’s only partially stuck.

That’s a huge temp jump from one tick less to straight up! Not linear at all lol. The chime / red tick comments don’t seem to Match on the picture.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:49 pm 

jagster936 wrote:
Wow thanks for all info! That’s one crazy looking thermostat lol never seen that. Guess it’s embedded or something. Is this a hard job? I’m mechanically inclined do all work myself.
It’s surprising it did go to full temp when AC was on if thermostat is running open. Under light loads I would expect it To run cold also with AC on In summer if cooling system is working properly.
That’s a huge temp jump from one tick less to straight up! Not linear at all lol. The chime / red tick comments don’t seem to Match on the picture.

Correct, gauge is NOT linear and most say not even real accurate to boot.

This thermostat works somewhat different than most engine thermostats.
It starts out with all coolant bypassing the radiator and flowing through the bottom of the thermostat housing through a "Bypass" circuit. This ensures 100% coolant flow through the head during the critical warm up stage of the engine. As the coolant absorbs heat from engine operation, it slowly closes off the bypass circuit and at the same time opens up the flow circuit to the radiator to maintain the 176 deg.F temperature. So, if the wax bulb in this thermostat fails for any reason, even fully or partially, it will fail to the open position allowing coolant to flow through the radiator at all times and not raise the coolant temperature up to 176 deg.F and instead allow the coolant temperature to in fact run "to cool". In your case with the AC running, it was adding enough heat to the coolant to overcome the partially failed thermostat and raise the coolant temperature up to the desired 176 deg.F operating temperature.

The thermostat is a "sealed unit" type of thermostat and the only option is to replace it with a new one when it fails.
LOST member Jeff aka Turbo-Diesel-Freak has developed an aftermarket thermostat that has serviceable/changeable internals, but in my last conversation with him he said due to some logistic problems he currently does not have any for sale. They are very nice, but they are not cheap!

As to the changing of the thermostat, if you are mechanically inclined and you do most of your own work you should have no problems changing this thermostat. Three 6mm bolts (use 10mm socket/wrench) and several hoses to R&R. It is a tight fit in it's location, but it's doable.
See this thermostat "Remove & Install" writeup by LOST member Squeeto:> viewtopic.php?p=712186#p712186

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:08 pm 
LOST Member

Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:01 pm 
LOST Member

I am new to this Jeep; I love it. What is the timing belt interval assuming 100k? It has 75k I got a low mileage one :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:02 pm 
LOST Member

I wonder about rocker arms and such but I’m a big proponent of don’t fix what’s not broken. Except things like timing belt and oil and fluids etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:26 pm 
LOST Addict

the TB change interval is 100,000 miles or 7 years but most tend to do theirs at less than 100K I do mine at 80k. Unless yours has been done it has far surpassed the time interval and is almost at my preference anyway. Make sure you change the Timing Idlers and TB tensioner as well as the water pump also. If you havent looked into it you will see its pretty standard just to change the front impeller portion of the water pump. The rest is just a housing no moving parts. Looks like a good time to do all of it with the thermostat :pepper:

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:35 pm 
LOST Member

jagster936 wrote:
I am new to this Jeep; I love it. What is the timing belt interval assuming 100k? It has 75k I got a low mileage one :)

Put a new timing belt and water pump on at the same time. The previous owner of my jeep found out about preventative maintenance the hard way when his water pump went and the timing belt slipped. After that, I got a really good deal on a lightly used CRD. 100k is no problem on one of these belts but the time is the real killer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 pm 

jagster936 wrote:

If yours has never had the timing belt replaced and you cannot confirm it by records or talking to the previous owner.
You are way past due for a timing belt replacement by time. 7 years max is the recommendation on the rubber toothed belt.
As others have already stated, be sure and replace the idler pulleys, tension pulley, and waterpump while you are in there. They are all wear items and should be replaced while you are in there that deep.
Any questions, just ask, plenty of very helpful members on this forum more than willing to provide guidance. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
jagster936 wrote:

Correct, gauge is NOT linear and most say not even real accurate to boot.

This thermostat works somewhat different than most engine thermostats.
It starts out with all coolant bypassing the radiator and flowing through the bottom of the thermostat housing through a "Bypass" circuit. This ensures 100% coolant flow through the head during the critical warm up stage of the engine. As the coolant absorbs heat from engine operation, it slowly closes off the bypass circuit and at the same time opens up the flow circuit to the radiator to maintain the 176 deg.F temperature. So, if the wax bulb in this thermostat fails for any reason, even fully or partially, it will fail to the open position allowing coolant to flow through the radiator at all times and not raise the coolant temperature up to 176 deg.F and instead allow the coolant temperature to in fact run "to cool". In your case with the AC running, it was adding enough heat to the coolant to overcome the partially failed thermostat and raise the coolant temperature up to the desired 176 deg.F operating temperature.

The thermostat is a "sealed unit" type of thermostat and the only option is to replace it with a new one when it fails.
LOST member Jeff aka Turbo-Diesel-Freak has developed an aftermarket thermostat that has serviceable/changeable internals, but in my last conversation with him he said due to some logistic problems he currently does not have any for sale. They are very nice, but they are not cheap!

As to the changing of the thermostat, if you are mechanically inclined and you do most of your own work you should have no problems changing this thermostat. Three 6mm bolts (use 10mm socket/wrench) and several hoses to R&R. It is a tight fit in it's location, but it's doable.
See this thermostat "Remove & Install" writeup by LOST member Squeeto:> viewtopic.php?p=712186#p712186

Fellows... just a heads-up on the Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly... I am indeed still manufacturing them, but I am not allowed to sell them through this forum.

In all other markets around the world, the CRD engine gets an O.E. thermostat assembly with a 195 degree Fahrenheit valve inside. We here in North America get the 176 degree Fahrenheit valve in the O.E. assembly because lowering engine operating temperatures lowers NOx emissions to meet the EPA's ridiculous standards. The end result is indeed lower NOx, but at the expense of long term engine reliability and poor fuel economy. Even a NEW O.E. thermostat is not good for this engine.

Cooling system bypass circuits have been around for as long as there have been liquid cooled engines. They are VERY necessary to keep engine temperatures as even as possible by allowing coolant to scrub off heat from the hottest parts of the engine and re-circulating that heat to other parts of the engine, even when the radiator circuit is shut off because the engine is not at full operating temperature. Not having a bypass circuit will cause problems with head gasket integrity and with the cylinder head warping because hot spots will form around the exhaust ports if coolant is not allowed to flow around the engine at all times.

Bypass circuits used to be "open" circuits because until the last 30 years or so engines did not make enough power, (and the resulting increase in heat generated by that increase in power), to require the bypass to be shut down. Today's engines make a lot more power - and therefore a lot more heat - requiring engine cooling systems to be more efficient as it is not practical to keep making the cooling systems larger and larger. Shutting down a bypass circuit with a thermostat valve that has a spring loaded bypass valve when the radiator circuit is opening up forces ALL of the coolant to go through the radiator, thereby increasing cooling system efficiency because none of the hot coolant intended to go to the radiator will be re-directed through the bypass. When working any modern engine hard by running at high speeds, driving up hills, towing a load, operating in hot climates or any combination thereof, having ALL the coolant go through the radiator circuit is with no coolant bleeding off in the bypass circuit is highly desirable.

The valve in the O.E. thermostat assembly is is not that unique... lots of engines now incorporate a valve controlled cooling system bypass circuit in an effort to increase cooling system efficiency. The Chrysler Hemi V-8 engine has the same type of thermostat valve. The only thing that can be said about the CRD engine thermostat that makes it unusual is that it is encased in it's own housing, but that would be unusual only for vehicles in the North American market. Thermostat assemblies like that used in the CRD engine are quite common on European engines. Designing any part like this tends to scare away the aftermarket and the jobber parts manufacturers, leaving the owner of a vehicle with non-serviceable assemblies at the mercy of the auto manufacturer and their dealer network with their infamous heart attack inducing parts prices.

Post subject: 2006 CRD Normal Operating Temp?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:53 am 
LOST Member

Interesting. I’ll look into timing and thermostat issues thx!

Thermostat is very concerning I can’t believe they run the engine cooler for that reason that’s a joke. Never heard of that in other vehicles.

What will the gauge look like if run it at 195?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:07 pm 
LOST Member

But many of us are running kapalczynski's t-stat @193. Concur that 176 is too low. Lots of information on the kapalczynski t-stat or the Turbo-Diesel-Freak unit, both of which are superior to the OEM.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:49 am 
LOST Member

I have a TDS thermostat (with 203 deg. stat installed) in both my CRD's. One has been over 100000 miles with no issues, the other about 10000 miles. No issues they run better, warm up better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:51 am 
LOST Addict

BTW myself and others never addressed your other question regarding the rockers. You can get a good idea of rocker wear by measuring the mass air flow with torque app or similar readers. If the correct oil has been used and anywhere near the correct intervals the rockers should be ok till about next time you need a TB change. Note that the original rocker/lifters use a crimp that has been known to fail and the new style rockers are solid in this area and may or may not provide better oiling. The main deterrent besides cost is the extra time involved in removing the valvecover to get to the rockers. If I had the experience I now have I would have gone ahead and replaced the rockers and installed ARP studs when I did my first TB change but that entails about 20 to 30 hours of inexperienced labor with no knowledge of this engine by a mechanically inclined person. The TB and water pump change with thermostat change will probably take you 14 to 18 hours first time now I could do TB in less than 8 hours and 1 hour or so extra for thermostat.

I do not think its necessary for you to change rockers now. In fact just the idea of this amount of work might give you adverse feelings about your CRD :ROTFL:

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

Last edited by TKB4 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:16 pm 
LOST Member

Lol I don’t mind the work but it is an old vehicle I’m not gonna dump money into it when it’s running fine. Within reason. Rocker arms is a sketchy thing I dunno about those. I have 75k and it runs fine tho it did start very poorly when it was real cold. Don’t know if fueling or glow plug related.

I’m torn on the belt I know it’s old but I like to get my life’s worth - my dad has gone say 200k on many vehicles with 50-100k intervals without issue. Always a gamble.. easy highway miles though

I put a simple check valve in the suction side of my old deer diesel gator and it 100% solved rough starting issues. Not sure would be related on the CRD.

It starts pretty good when normal warmer weather and when engine is warm.

What idlers? Timing? Id always do those if in there including water pump

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:18 pm 
LOST Member

It does still have the mysterious hiss sound like it has a turbo leak have never figured that out. After replacing the turbo air charge hoses on both sides intercooler it never had a boost code again. Dunno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:22 pm 
LOST Member

jagster936 wrote:
Lol I don’t mind the work but it is an old vehicle I’m not gonna dump money into it when it’s running fine. Within reason. Rocker arms is a sketchy thing I dunno about those. I have 75k and it runs fine tho it did start very poorly when it was real cold. Don’t know if fueling or glow plug related.

I’m torn on the belt I know it’s old but I like to get my life’s worth - my dad has gone say 200k on many vehicles with 50-100k intervals without issue. Always a gamble.. easy highway miles though

I put a simple check valve in the suction side of my old deer diesel gator and it 100% solved rough starting issues. Not sure would be related on the CRD.

It starts pretty good when normal warmer weather and when engine is warm.

What idlers? Timing? Id always do those if in there including water pump

Sir...this is an interference engine as you probably know. Change the timing belt on YOUR time and not on ITS time. Age is as great an enemy of the TB as is milage. Over to you to defer rockers but I highly recommend you take the time to pull the valve cover and change the head bolts for ARP studs.....Just saying. We keep this engine on the road because of many lessons learned from the valuable contributors in this forum.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:32 pm 
LOST Member

How can the head bolts fail? If they do a bolt head goes flying around inside valve train? Lol.

I know I do love the engine and the Jeep itself it’s why I got it. I keep my vehicles a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:40 pm 
LOST Member

jagster936 wrote:
How can the head bolts fail? If they do a bolt head goes flying around inside valve train? Lol.

I know I do love the engine and the Jeep itself it’s why I got it. I keep my vehicles a long time.

Lots here on them yielding. Metrics on the torque to remove to prove the point. When they yield the head gasket ceases to be evenly torqued and fails. Sooo...the change to the ARP studs, torqued properly on the inner and outer rows, prevents head gasket failure. Geordi has LOTS of information on the forum.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery