It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD's in Mexico
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:11 pm 
LOST Member

I was PM'd on this subject and thought some may find it interesting. I'm going to tag a version in Espanol in the hope that a Mexicano, or Mexican-American, adds their voice. Probably, correcting or expanding on my lessons of 40-years visiting Baja, and 4-years of 'residency'.

Both my vehicles are US registered, so any CRD-supplier who requires a non-US registered VIN to deliver products to Mexico can't/won't ship to me.

I don't know anyone with a CRD registered here in Mexico. They were never sold here new and therefore don't even show up in the parts stores' databases. Libertys, sure, but with no "2.8L Diesel" engine option in the pull-down menus.

It is the norm here for people to drive their US-purchased vehicles with expired US plates rather than going through the hassle & expense of certifying & registering them as MX vehicles.

Mexico has [refreshingly] lax laws re 'legal vehicles' and all a driver needs to carry is a convincing US Title signed-over to them. At least in the Border states (Baja California, Sonora, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon and Tamaulipas), probably 30% of the vehicles have either expired US tags or no tags and drivers just wave their US-issued Title when pulled-over. The law is actually more complicated than that, but carrying Title is the common practice and most cops don't press the letter of the law. Not stolen? Drive on.

In other words, any CRD in Mexico was imported and the owner probably didn't bother to register its' VIN in Mexico.

It's not a bad idea to fish for a Mexicano who has officially imported a CRD to Mexico by composing a post in Spanish requesting contact. Google Translate is indispensable, if imperfect:

Me enviaron PM sobre este tema y pensé que algunos podrían encontrarlo interesante. Voy a etiquetar una versión en español con la esperanza de que un mexicano o mexicoamericano agregue su voz. Probablemente, corrigiendo o ampliando mis lecciones de 40 años visitando Baja, y 4 años de 'residencia'.

Mis dos vehículos están registrados en los EE. UU., Por lo que cualquier proveedor de CRD que requiera un VIN no registrado en los EE. UU. Para entregar productos no puede / no me lo entregarán en México.

No conozco a nadie con un CRD registrado aquí en México. Nunca se vendieron aquí nuevos y, por lo tanto, ni siquiera aparecen en las bases de datos de las tiendas de repuestos. Libertys, claro, pero sin opción de motor "Diesel" en los menús desplegables.

No es una mala idea pescar a un mexicano que ha importado oficialmente un CRD a México redactando una publicación en español solicitando contacto. Ya sea que se comunique o viaje, 'Google Translate' es fantástico. Imperfecto, pero indispensable.

La cuestión es que aquí es la norma que las personas conduzcan sus vehículos comprados en los EE. UU. Con placas estadounidenses vencidas en lugar de pasar por la molestia y el gasto de certificarlos y registrarlos como vehículos MX.

México tiene [refrescantemente] leyes laxas sobre 'vehículos legales' y todo lo que un conductor necesita llevar es el Título de los EE. UU. Al menos en los estados fronterizos (Baja California, Sonora, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo León y Tamaulipas), probablemente el 30% de los vehículos tienen etiquetas estadounidenses vencidas o no tienen etiquetas y los conductores simplemente agitan su título cuando se detienen. La ley es en realidad más complicada que eso, pero llevar el Título es la práctica común y la mayoría de los policías no presionan la letra de la ley. ¿No robado? Conducir en.

En otras palabras, se importó cualquier CRD en México y el propietario probablemente no se molestó en registrar su VIN en México.

keys- reparacion de jeep diesel, CRD en Mexico, la ley Mexicano para manejar, driving selling a car in Mexico, shipping to a Mexican address, VIN #'s in Mexico

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

Last edited by Gypsy62 on Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: CRD's in Mexico
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:33 pm 
LOST Addict

The problem I see is for tunes you have to have the VIN number of a foreign vehicle and since that VIN is only one that vehicle it wouldn't benefit any US CRD. Only way I could see is if skim etc could be cloned to have all vehicles using say an aftermarket non-approved tune to work with same programmed code as a foreign one but this is just common sense . I am specifically not telling anyone to do this.

Its similar to c-band/ku band satellite tv years ago or cloned phones or Roku etc.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:53 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for this interesting article

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:40 am 
LOST Member

Ok since no one get it... the only thing that can be tuned that is a slave module (has no vin) is the TCM. It can be swapped from rig to rig without programming and is plug and play. The only thing you need to do after swapping the TCM is a quick learn with a scan tool. This is the only module you could have someone mail in for you to be programmed. As far as the ECM, it’s not worth the hassle to jump through the hoops to get a tune on it, it’s possible but you would have to change the vin in all the modules, ABS, ECM, BCM... you would have to change the vin before you mailed it off... and too boot it would be $$$ to have a reputable shop do this for you... so the only thing that can be programmed this way practically is the TCM. I have 2 TCM’s for my dads kJ crd so he can swap from tow tune to eco by just swapping them out. We talked about putting them both in and having a switch and some relays to switch between them but it would be more of a hassle than benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:14 am 
LOST Addict

Yes I have the GDE eco transmission tune and love it but when I checked at least a couple months ago they were not able to tune the transmission modules either. Basically anything not stock thats not certified can't be done by business. I would bet that the TCN s could be more or less cloned since they don't depend on the VIN.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

Post subject: CRD's in Mexico
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:52 am 
LOST Member

Nope... the TCM is a slave module so no vin in it... and GDE can tune a TCM, just not for anyone in this country

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Exactly, like I said doesn't need VIN they are interchangeable between any 05 or 06 US CRD for sure. thats also why it might be possible to clone the program no VIN to match.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:49 am 

TKB4 wrote:
Exactly, like I said doesn't need VIN they are interchangeable between any 05 or 06 US CRD for sure. thats also why it might be possible to clone the program no VIN to match.

True, and if you swap another Jeep CRD TCM into your vehicle, I don't believe a "Relearn" is required. Changed mine last year and did not do a relearn and have had no issues.
I think the relearn is only required if your putting in a different TCM like from a Dodge etc...
Didn't SirSam mention he had the tools to tap into a TCM? Maybe he could copy a TCM program and flash it to a stock TCM?
I think it takes some special equipment to tap into them on a bench or have a Chrysler DRBIII tool to talk to the TCM? I will have to ask my Dodge mechanic friend who works for a big Dodge/Jeep dealer.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:03 am 
LOST Member

Any time you modify the TCM or transmission or ECM tune, you need to do a quick learn so the TCM and ECM can relearn the clutch apply times to prevent shifting issues like 2 gears at once and shift times... you may never see the problems happen but I even do a quick learn after a transmission flush. It’s a quick procedure and never a bad idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:42 pm 
LOST Member

Interesting discussion re ECM vs TCM flashes folks, but a bit of a hijack.

This thread should explore facilitating legit tune-deliveries outside the US. I've provided the Mexico saga; it would be helpful to hear a Canuck chime in. Maybe a CRD'r in "The Maple" could similarly explain/assist?

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:01 pm 
LOST Member

Folks, I just started a new thread "VIN Discussion" and combined & transplanted your posts above to open it.
Hopefully, you are all cool with that. The subject def deserves its own thread.
If you copy & repost your posts above @ that thread, I'll remove my opening post.

Your collective VIN knowledge is important stuff!
Cheers