It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thermostat Replacement
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:46 pm 
LOST Addict

You might be able to get away with an inline with light duty flat land US. But, offroad, tow heavy or drive some mountain grades and then you'll crack a head like I did. My CRD came with an inline (clamshell type), and I cracked the head almost immediately offroading...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:38 am 
LOST Addict

Jay ne Ohio wrote:

I have two CRD's with the inline Meziere stats that I have been running for 12 years,,,,, even though everyone says they will cause head gasket problems: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEZ-WN0072/

I am also in the camp of any type of inline thermostat is a BAD IDEA.

I too installed the Meziere inline thermostat thingy.
50,000 miles later I was dealing with a cracked head.

You must not have much run time on your inline thermostat, or you are just lucky. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:41 am 
LOST Addict

I still have two with the Stant inline but I am did drill a 1/4 hole in flange and I am planning on changing back to a standard type in future .

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

I considered a cheaper inline replacement but because my wife drives the Jeep more than I do and I don't trust her to always watch the temp gauge, I didn't trust the fact that it could fail closed. I know the OEMs always seem to fail open so I bought one. I searched online and went to several of the online mopar parts websites checking pricing and coupon codes etc, I was able to source one for around $100, that's what Id do again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Go with Jeff's thermostat and it will pay you back with fuel savings eventually, and it'll be like winning the lottery if it avoids a cracked head!
You'll also have a longer lived engine as the OEM stats fail after 50k or so, and you'll be wet-stacking, and sooting up your oil more than you would with a proper thermostat. All the advantages add up to an overwhelming value in my opinion.
*I get no enrichments for promoting his product, I just appreciate the fact that he made it!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:20 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
Go with Jeff's thermostat and it will pay you back with fuel savings eventually, and it'll be like winning the lottery if it avoids a cracked head!
You'll also have a longer lived engine as the OEM stats fail after 50k or so, and you'll be wet-stacking, and sooting up your oil more than you would with a proper thermostat. All the advantages add up to an overwhelming value in my opinion.
*I get no enrichments for promoting his product, I just appreciate the fact that he made it!

Unfortunately I don't believe he has any available right now. Not sure when he will.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:11 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Unfortunately I don't believe he has any available right now. Not sure when he will.

I am working on getting them assembled and out the door.... please remember that I can not sell them through this forum.

You must contact me directly for that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:16 pm 
LOST Member

I ended up putting an OEM and Slant thermostats in my two CRDs (one in each) this summer. Have not had quite enough cold weather to give a full comparison, but this is what I found so far. The Slant thermo does work, but it takes quite a bit longer to get up to full operating temp then the OEM one does. The Slant one does eventually get there, but it takes about 2-3x the times as long as the OEM. And then if one is not under load or going uphill, the Slant thermo also will let the engine temp drop much faster than the OEM. Not a perfect test since these are two different engines, but the difference is so obvious I doubt it is due to some subtle diff in how the engines run. BTW, based on the dash gauge, I see no evidence that the Slant is a higher temp unit than the OEM.

If I had to do again, I'd go OEM or one of Jeff's. If you are really short on funds then the Slant one will work (and is better than a broken one), but you'd probably be better saving up for an OEM.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:03 am 
LOST Addict

Steve777 wrote:
I ended up putting an OEM and Slant thermostats in my two CRDs (one in each) this summer. Have not had quite enough cold weather to give a full comparison, but this is what I found so far. The Slant thermo does work, but it takes quite a bit longer to get up to full operating temp then the OEM one does. The Slant one does eventually get there, but it takes about 2-3x the times as long as the OEM. And then if one is not under load or going uphill, the Slant thermo also will let the engine temp drop much faster than the OEM. Not a perfect test since these are two different engines, but the difference is so obvious I doubt it is due to some subtle diff in how the engines run. BTW, based on the dash gauge, I see no evidence that the Slant is a higher temp unit than the OEM.

If I had to do again, I'd go OEM or one of Jeff's. If you are really short on funds then the Slant one will work (and is better than a broken one), but you'd probably be better saving up for an OEM.

You mean the Stant thermo; yes?

Is this thermostat a copy of the O.E. thermostat?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:44 pm 
LOST Member

Yes, the Slant model which is a whole thermostat in a casting (not just a bare thermostat like you'd use inline). Looked practically the same as the OEM one.