It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Persistent throttle and transmission issue - please help!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have owned this jeep 2006 CRD since 2017 and have had this problem starting a few months into owning this. Despite multiple attempts at trying to ferret it out, I’m at a loss. I’ll try and keep it succinct and as short as possible, but, to me, it seems rather more complex than I originally thought. I love this Jeep, and want to make it my most primary driver, however I am losing my patients with this issue.

1 of 2 issues seems to occur, and I feel they have the same root cause as they never occur together, only one or the other. Also of note, there are often days where nether issue will occur for days/weeks, and other times where the issues will present multiple times per day, or even per drive. Lastly, for reference, my typical driving sessions last between 30 and 40 minutes on my way to and from work.

First issue, which is the most common:
When driving, or at idle, an audible “ding” and the “throttle body” light will begin to flash. Seems to start most often when letting fully off the throttle, but can also happen if I turn the Jeep on and just allow it to idle for a time.
- When this happens, typically the only thing noted is that the throttle response seems to be delayed by roughly a full second (specifically when adding throttle from a dead stop or full off after holding steady throttle).
- Occasionally, it seems the computer attempts to reset during this situation, as there will be a very quick drop of power, all dash lights turn off, then everything returns back to normal, except there is no more flashing “throttle body” light. Typically, the flashing light will return within a few seconds, but not consistently.
- Less often, in this situation, there will be multiple perceived computer “resets” will occur over a period of a few seconds, ultimately leading to the engine dying. I will then place the Jeep in neutral, and cycle the ignition (I try to leave the key in “off” until I hear the relay click, or wait 30 seconds), replace the transmission in drive, and continue on. It is extremely rare that the engine dying occurs multiple times in a single driving session.
- Least often, in this situation, the Jeep will not accelerate with increased pedal, but will continue to hold throttle. If I slowly add pedal, and hold it, the throttle, typically, will eventually start to increase, and the Jeep can then accelerate. If the pedal is floored, the Jeep removes all power, engine goes to idle, and there is no response to pedal input. Occasionally, after some time (can be minutes), the throttle starts to respond. Restarting the Jeep typically does not resolve this issue, and the “throttle body” light comes on immediately after restarting the Jeep.

Second issue, significantly less often, and has not ever occurred at the same time as the previously noted issue:
When driving, the transmission randomly will enter limp mode. If I can stop, such as at a stop sign or light, I will place the transmission in park, turn off the Jeep, wait until I hear the relay click, then turn the Jeep back on and continue driving.
- I can think of only a hand full of situations where this scenario repeats itself, typically, after cycling the Jeep off and on, issue number 1 will start.

Trouble Codes:
No noted trouble codes at baseline. I only note P0403 and P1140. (I have a full EGR delete). No pending or other noted codes come up with the more typical “throttle body” issues.
- Issue #1: IF I experience multiple episodes of the computer reset, I may see “current fault” of P0299 and P1252 codes. They only appear after the repeated computer resets, however do not appear after every reset. They DO appear every time the repeated resets lead to the engine dying.
- Issue #2: After any time the transmission enters “Limp mode”, I see “pending fault” of P0700 and P2706.
- Both sets of codes clear via scan tool and will not return until the above listed issues return.

Attempted fixes:
- I have replaced the electronic throttle pedal
- I have gone through 2 batteries and installed a new alternator
o Testing continues to show appropriately functioning alternator, healthy battery, and no parasitic draws or concerns for shorts when off. No issues with holding charge over 2 months without turning on (this is a 3rd vehicle for my family, so is only occasionally used as a “primary” vehicle).
- I have created a new ground for the ground located at the area beneath/near the car battery.
- None of the above mentioned fixes have changed anything.
- Occasionally, grabbing the bunch of wires that travel behind the fuel filter and moving them around, grabbing and moving the wires going around to the TCM, as well as the PCM – all done out of desperation, such as when the throttle has lost all response – have seemed to resolve the issues in the moment. This, however, could just be a false correlation, as movement of only one area of wires has never consistently resolved the issues.

Concerns:
My thoughts are computer vs. wire/short issue.
- Wiring: Always concerned about the area behind the fuel filter/water separator due to noted issues from others, however have not seen issues, and any wires I’ve run, I cannot find any evidence of shorts or wire breaks – however given the intermittent nature of the issue, this would likely make this very difficult to diagnose.
- Computer: PCM vs. TCM – no idea how to test – my limited research continues to show the computers tend to be very robust and are usually not the cause of the majority of the problems they are suspected to have created.

Last considerations:
- The problem started BEFORE I deleted the EGR
- After completing the full EGR delete, I attempted to reflash the ECM to remove the CEL and add a little more torque via one of the free flashes found on the site here – I did note the change in power and throttle response, however the CEL has never disappeared, despite having attempted other flashes (I have only used flashes found on this site).
- I use a Bluetooth code reader with the Torque app, as well as an older, simple code reader primarily for code reading. I have other apps I’ve used as well, however they all show the same information as far as CELs and data pulled.
- When using my code reader live, while driving, with the Torque app to watch the raw engine data while driving, when the “throttle body” light appears, typically the live data is no longer able to be read, however, occasionally, the data starts reading again after waiting some time.