It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NewJeep Diesel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:22 am 
LOST Newbie

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/busi ... ngine.html

Personally, based on my experience with my CRD I would not buy another FCA product at gun point.

Post subject: Re: NewJeep Diesel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:34 pm 
LOST Member

Unfortunately, our current oversight of the automotive industry has simply devastated the diesel market. I'll go on record as saying that "city folk" haven't helped any. Sure, you can get 45 MPG in your Volkswagen Jetta while you're in stop-and-go traffic in L.A. for four hours, but you're using the engine in the worst possible efficiency range it can be in so it is producing the most possible nitrous oxides. I'm not saying that diesel vehicles caused the crud cloud hovering over most of Southern California, but they sure aren't helping. As we all know here, diesels are inherently better at high load strenuous activities and long hauls at high speeds. I'm not by any means pro-government oversight, but I might be ok with banning the d@mn things from being registered in urban areas. Maybe we can reclaim the "workhorse" reputation of diesel vehicles and go back to making simple ones, instead of having to pay the $5,600 for the "premium" package to get a diesel motor along with the sport trim package, upgraded audio, panoramic sunroof, phone integration, navigation...you get the idea.

I almost cried when I saw the ad for the Gladiator. The only people who I have ever heard claim to want a Jeep truck are the old school guys who want another Comanche. Not some worthless Hummer truck wannabe! On the other hand, I have heard HUNDREDS of people say they want a diesel Wrangler. They have been saying it since the 90's (that I've been hearing it) and probably before that! You know as well as I do that the diesel Wrangler, if it ever makes it to market, is going to be crippled beyond belief. The stories of people lemon-lawing their Grand Cherokee diesels are incredibly easy to find, and plentiful to boot. I can drive down to Phoenix right now and buy any number of them that are STILL sitting at dealerships waiting to be bought as "owner buybacks" because the issues were so great that they couldn't be fixed at the time. The only bright side will be for the crazy offroad guys who actually trailer their rigs to the dunes or trails. They will be able to buy one for half price after about 2 years, rip all the emissions crap off of them (if its still legal by then) and drive them offroad as they were meant to be used.

I'm with you. I wouldn't buy one of those things now if they were buy-one get-one free. By this time next year I likely won't own a CRD (I have two right now) and likely won't own a diesel either. There isn't a company on the market right now that has any appeal to me outside of Toyota. The CRD simply isn't reliable enough to be used as a family vehicle and diesels in general aren't very appealing with our current EPA. A 4-Runner or Tacoma it is!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:41 pm 
LOST Addict

vtdog2 wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/business/jeep-ecodiesel-engine.html

Personally, based on my experience with my CRD I would not buy another FCA product at gun point.

This. And I think a lot of the same mistakes they made on our engines were made on the 2nd gen Ecodiesel in the 2014+ Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee. This engine is the 3rd gen and is supposed to be like 90% new components. New block, new internals, totally different EGR setup(cold side EGR that gets pulled in post DPF), ball bearing VNT turbo etc. I still would have a hard time trusting it any farther than I could throw it.

The motor that does sound awesome to me is the new GM 3.0L Duramax in the 1500. GM through everything and the kitchen sink at that thing technology wise. Problem is, any MFG is going to have to do something special to get me to give up a 3.5 Ecoboost for any 1/2 ton diesel. The 2018+ Ecoboost are absolute monsters with a tune and will blow anything diesel out of the water.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole wrote:
The motor that does sound awesome to me is the new GM 3.0L Duramax in the 1500. GM through everything and the kitchen sink at that thing technology wise.

Maybe the should have stopped short of the kitchen sink.
Engine oil pump belt driven with a 150K mile service interval?
Also would rather seen a CGI block instead of aluminum.
However it does intrigue me too. Hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as the 5.0L Cummins, aka short life span.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:55 am 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
vtdog2 wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/business/jeep-ecodiesel-engine.html

This. And I think a lot of the same mistakes they made on our engines were made on the 2nd gen Ecodiesel in the 2014+ Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee. This engine is the 3rd gen and is supposed to be like 90% new components. New block, new internals, totally different EGR setup(cold side EGR that gets pulled in post DPF), ball bearing VNT turbo etc. I still would have a hard time trusting it any farther than I could throw it.

The motor that does sound awesome to me is the new GM 3.0L Duramax in the 1500. GM through everything and the kitchen sink at that thing technology wise. Problem is, any MFG is going to have to do something special to get me to give up a 3.5 Ecoboost for any 1/2 ton diesel. The 2018+ Ecoboost are absolute monsters with a tune and will blow anything diesel out of the water.

You mean eco boom... lots of money to be made on those things... between carbon issues from crap oil to faulty turbos, and Toyota’s are like white bread, plain and not exciting... mopar has low end tq and power wagon and Chevy has mpg and their off road package... but Toyota is a reliable not exciting grocery getter... when you use good oil, that is the issue with ALL the modern engines, oil changes need to be done every 3-5k. To keep up a modern diesel or any engine you need to find a GOOD mechanic who knows what they are doing, on a modern diesel you need to clean the induction system every oil change and use DPF cleaners in the tank ect. I have many modern diesels with high mileage and no problems, you just have to think outside the box the manufacture gives you, everything they publish is to sell cars and get emissions credits, cars need to break to sell parts and new cars and the life span of most modern vehicles is 120k to make it past that takes out side of the box thinking

I plan to personally get a low mileage 2020 gladiator diesel in 2025 and keep it for a long time like the rest of my diesels, for the new eco diesel you need to use 5w40 from liqui moly... it’s an Italian engine you can’t use standard oil in it reliably, I put euro oil in euro engines , look into the engine mfg requirements like the 0w40 kJ crd issue where VM says 5w40...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:43 pm 

My66dodge wrote:
You mean eco boom... lots of money to be made on those things... between carbon issues from crap oil to faulty turbos, and Toyota’s are like white bread, plain and not exciting... mopar has low end tq and power wagon and Chevy has mpg and their off road package... but Toyota is a reliable not exciting grocery getter... when you use good oil, that is the issue with ALL the modern engines, oil changes need to be done every 3-5k. To keep up a modern diesel or any engine you need to find a GOOD mechanic who knows what they are doing, on a modern diesel you need to clean the induction system every oil change and use DPF cleaners in the tank ect. I have many modern diesels with high mileage and no problems, you just have to think outside the box the manufacture gives you, everything they publish is to sell cars and get emissions credits, cars need to break to sell parts and new cars and the life span of most modern vehicles is 120k to make it past that takes out side of the box thinking

I plan to personally get a low mileage 2020 gladiator diesel in 2025 and keep it for a long time like the rest of my diesels, for the new eco diesel you need to use 5w40 from liqui moly... it’s an Italian engine you can’t use standard oil in it reliably, I put euro oil in euro engines , look into the engine mfg requirements like the 0w40 kJ crd issue where VM says 5w40...

And full synthetic 15W40 provides even better protection.
Like Shell Rotella T6 or Royal Purple, both 15W40 full synthetic diesel rated oils.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:57 pm 
LOST Addict

You run 15w40 in the CRD?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:34 pm 

Mountainman wrote:

Absolutely! Switched over from the Mobil 1 5W40 to 15W40 several years ago. Have had no cold start issues, but I do live in the south. :D
Now that Shell full synthetic 15W40 Rotella T6 is on the market, that is what I will be using going forward since I can find it on sale at a much better price than the Royal Purple.
It's available at Walmart, Amazon, Advance Auto, etc..
Royal Purple is a great oil, but it is pricey and the Duralec can be hard to find in my area. :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:29 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Absolutely! Switched over from the Mobil 1 5W40 to 15W40 several years ago. Have had no cold start issues, but I do live in the south. :D
Now that Shell full synthetic 15W40 Rotella T6 is on the market, that is what I will be using going forward since I can find it on sale at a much better price than the Royal Purple.
It's available at Walmart, Amazon, Advance Auto, etc..
Royal Purple is a great oil, but it is pricey and the Duralec can be hard to find in my area. :juggle:

I bet that will help the rockers last! I wonder how the turbo likes it?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:16 pm 
LOST Member

But the big problem with 1540 instead of 540 is start up 1540 takes an average of 45 seconds to get through out the engine so you’re starving the engine on start up it doesn’t provide any more protection at driving speeds 540 has the same I run the same 540 In our Cummins race track if it’s good enough for the AMG spec it’s a high-quality oil it’s also what they use in their Le Mans cars 1540 is a decent oil but it’s slow to get around the engine for lubricating and has no more superior protection than a 540 or a 040 If you’re looking for a good read on oils go to bobistheoilguy.com. Are use 1540 in old school style diesel engines when price is more important and we’re looking for a cheaper oil but it’s only good for high clearance engines engines. dual overhead cam roller rocker engines need an HTHS oil because you have to oil the little needle bearings in the rockers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:26 pm 
LOST Member

WW pm Me and I will send you enough of the good stuff to service your engine so you can see the difference

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:24 am 
LOST Member

My66dodge wrote:
But the big problem with 1540 instead of 540 is start up 1540 takes an average of 45 seconds to get through out the engine so you’re starving the engine on start up it doesn’t provide any more protection at driving speeds 540 has the same I run the same 540 In our Cummins race track if it’s good enough for the AMG spec it’s a high-quality oil it’s also what they use in their Le Mans cars 1540 is a decent oil but it’s slow to get around the engine for lubricating and has no more superior protection than a 540 or a 040 If you’re looking for a good read on oils go to bobistheoilguy.com. Are use 1540 in old school style diesel engines when price is more important and we’re looking for a cheaper oil but it’s only good for high clearance engines engines. dual overhead cam roller rocker engines need an HTHS oil because you have to oil the little needle bearings in the rockers

The 45 seconds will be long minutes at -20 !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 am 
LOST Addict

I have been trying about half T6 15w40 and half mobile one Diesel 5w40 but I live in the south too I wish they had a mobile one 10w-40 diesel rated . They might but I don't see it at Walmart :-)r

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:09 pm 

TKB4 wrote:
I have been trying about half T6 15w40 and half mobile one Diesel 5w40 but I live in the south too I wish they had a mobile one 10w-40 diesel rated . They might but I don't see it at Walmart :-)r

Very true!
Here you go:
But you won't find these oils at Walmart or the parts stores. :banghead:
Valvoline PROFLEET 10W-40 - FULL SYNTHETIC DIESEL ENGINE OIL
SHELL HELIX HX7 DIESEL 10W-40 Synthetic technology motor oil

And Shell makes a blend: Shell ROTELLA T5 10W-40 Synthetic Blend Heavy Duty Engine Diesel Oil 10W-40,Bottle
It is available at Walmart and the parts stores.

Engine oils is like choosing your drink of choice, everyone thinks theirs is best, but if you stick to API ratings and a little common sense, you won't go wrong.
But I would not put 0 weight oil in anything, even something I hated! :lol:
0 weight oil is a conspiracy perpetuated by the government.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:37 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:

And Shell makes a blend: Shell ROTELLA T5 10W-40 Synthetic Blend Heavy Duty Engine Diesel Oil 10W-40,Bottle

I have not seen the T5 10w-40 in any walmart or parts stores.
I used to see it listed on Amazon but it was waaay overpriced.

Now, the T5 10w-30 can be found pretty much everywhere and is a good choice for your old flat tappet classic car engines :wink:

I've been using Rotella T5 15w-40 in mine.
Works good and has significantly reduced my RMS leak.
But, ya know, I live in Florida. #floridaman :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:57 pm 
LOST Member

API ratings don’t mean much... look into ACEA ratings, after all it is an Italian engine... bobistheoilguy.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:01 pm 

flash7210 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

I have not seen the T5 10w-40 in any walmart or parts stores.
I used to see it listed on Amazon but it was waaay overpriced.

Now, the T5 10w-30 can be found pretty much everywhere and is a good choice for your old flat tappet classic car engines :wink:

I've been using Rotella T5 15w-40 in mine.
Works good and has significantly reduced my RMS leak.
But, ya know, I live in Florida. #floridaman :P

My local Walmart has both the 1 gal. and 2.5 gal. T5 10W40 in stock and on the shelf today.
They also have the T6 15W40 in gallons on the shelf
I was in Walmart today and and I checked.
Just make sure whatever oil you purchase is API diesel rated and not a gasoline oil.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:28 pm 

My66dodge wrote:
API ratings don’t mean much... look into ACEA ratings, after all it is an Italian engine... bobistheoilguy.com

You want ratings, here they are:

Shell Rotella® T5 15W-40
OEM SPECIFICATIONS AND APPROVALS
SAE 15W-40 API and OEM Approvals
API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, Cummins CES 20086,
DDC DFS 93K222, VDS-4.5, MACK EO-S - 4.5, Caterpillar
ECF-2/ECF-3, Ford WSS-M2C171-F1
API: CJ-4, SM; ACEA E9, E7;
Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2; Cummins
CES 20081; Mack EO-O Premium
PLUS; DDC 93K218; MAN 3275;
MTU Category 2.1; MB Approval
228.31; Volvo VDS-4; JASO DH-2

Shell Rotella® T6 15W-40
SPECIFICATIONS AND APPROVALS
API, CK-4, CJ-4, ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, MA/MA 2; Caterpillar ECF-2,
ECF-3; Cummins CES 20086; DDC DFS 93K222;
MB-Approval 228.31; Volvo VDS-4.5; Ford WSS-M2C171-F1;
Allison TES 439, MAN 3775; MACK EOS-4.5

ACEA EUROPEAN OIL SEQUENCES for E: Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oils
E7
Stable, stay-in-grade oil providing effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing. It further
provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability. It is recommended for highly rated diesel
engines meeting Euro I, Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV and Euro V emission requirements and running under severe
conditions, e.g. extended oil drain intervals according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. It is suitable for
engines without particulate filters, and for most EGR engines and most engines fitted with SCR NOx reduction
systems. However, recommendations may differ between engine manufacturers so driver manuals and/or dealers
shall be consulted if in doubt.

E9
Stable, stay-in-grade oil providing effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing. It further
provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability. It is recommended for highly rated diesel
engines meeting Euro I, Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV, Euro V and Euro VI emission requirements and running under
severe conditions, e.g. extended oil drain intervals according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. It is suitable
for engines with or without particulate filters, and for most EGR engines and for most engines fitted with SCR NOx
reduction systems. E9 is strongly recommended for engines fitted with particulate filters and is designed for use in
combination with low Sulphur diesel fuel. However, recommendations may differ between engine manufacturers
so driver manuals and/or dealers should be consulted if in doubt

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:32 am 
LOST Member

Yes but none of those are DOHC roller rocker engines... again for best life we need a HTHS oil, there is a lot of shear effect in our engines, a large diesel has different requirements

https://products.liqui-moly.us/leichtla ... -40-8.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 pm 
LOST Addict

My66dodge wrote:
Yes but none of those are DOHC roller rocker engines... again for best life we need a HTHS oil, there is a lot of shear effect in our engines, a large diesel has different requirements

https://products.liqui-moly.us/leichtla ... -40-8.html

The main wear I see in these engines are the rockers of course. Which oil is going to help them last longer? Are they always going to be wearing out in 1-200k miles? Seems like poor design if so

Mech fan, VH & AC delete