It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Very hard start when cold outside
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:36 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone,
I have an issue starting my CRD in cold weather. If I do not plug it in overnight i nearly drain the battery trying to start it in -5 C (20F). This is my first winter with the vehicle so i am not sure if this was an issue last winter or not. This summer I did replace the head gasket and a bunch more work. Included was switching the original ceramic glow plugs with the 7v Steel ones. Could the steel plugs be the issue?
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Very hard start when cold outside
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:04 pm 
LOST Member

Many people have had hard start issues after switching from the OEM ceramic GP's to the various steel versions. It appears that the worst swap you can do is from OEM to Etechno 7V. Bosch 7V are better, but most have determined that the best way to go is the Bosch 5V GP's and leave the OEM 7V programming. I have this setup and STILL have hard starts in even mildly cold temperatures. I have had two instances where temps in the 20's resulted in a dead battery and having to use my portable power pack to get it going again. I suspect that I have other problems on top of the poor performing GP's (injectors, maybe?). I would swap to the 5V plugs and see how it performs for you, then report back here.

I have not heard if anyone has been able to return used glow plugs for not performing. Has anyone done this?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the quick response. I actually still have the old ceramic plugs which worked fine. I just figured since i had the engine apart, i should replace/"upgrade" them. I will put old ones back in to see if there's a difference. If so, I will order the 5V ones and get rid of the 7V Bosch steel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:28 pm 
LOST Member

Just make sure you don't leave the OEM ones in there for long! They are wildly unpredictable and have been found missing chunks on several LostJeeps users vehicles, with unknown damage to the engine as the piece works its way out past the valves, turbo and into the exhaust. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:54 pm 
LOST Addict

xsfpns wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have an issue starting my CRD in cold weather. If I do not plug it in overnight i nearly drain the battery trying to start it in -5 C (20F). This is my first winter with the vehicle so i am not sure if this was an issue last winter or not. This summer I did replace the head gasket and a bunch more work. Included was switching the original ceramic glow plugs with the 7v Steel ones. Could the steel plugs be the issue?
Thanks in advance

Keep the steel glow plugs because they are durable.

Install a Webasto Thermo Top C diesel fuelled engine coolant heater, (AKA a TSL17 heater). Get it in the 923369 universal installation kit; this kit has everything you need to install in any diesel vehicle that runs on a 12 Volt electrical system. Go and purchase the Sasquatch Parts Liberty CRD battery tray as it allows for a larger battery AND a place underneath the tray to mount the Webasto. Also get some exhaust cloth wrap for the heater exhaust and some heat resistant cloth or textile for the parts closest to the Webasto and the underside of the battery.

You have to drop the fuel tank to install a SEPARATE supply line for the Webasto heater; DO NOT tap off of another line as the Webasto heater has its own metering pump. If at this point you do not have a lift pump, upgrade your fuel system by installing one and say goodbye to most of the fuelling problems CRD engines have.

These two upgrades are among the most important for the Liberty CRD. This vehicle should have had the fuel lift pump right from the factory, but it appears that the bean-counters nixed this idea to keep costs down. This is the main reason why CRD engines have fuel issues. The Webasto heater is awesome... it is fully 12.5 times the power of your block heater, and can heat up your engine more efficiently than running it. You will see overall fuel savings, less pollutants being emitted, longer engine and engine oil life. The engine will heat so thoroughly that the rather anemic glow plugs will not even be turned on.

These are expensive upgrades, but they are quality upgrades that will make your CRD engine run better and last longer. If you use the Webasto heater diligently, you will ALWAYS have hot starts even if the temperature is -40 degrees.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Cycling the key will make a big difference if you're not doing that. The glow-plug light means nothing. The actual cycle is about 20 seconds, if you turn it to run and start cranking as soon as the light goes off it will be very hard to start when cold. Turn to "run", wait 20 seconds, then off and back to "run", wait 20 seconds and then either start or repeat. 2-3 cycles made a huge difference for me. I had the 7v plugs when I got it (and last winter) and wasn't impressed (but it never failed to start). I put 5v Bosch steel plugs in this year but it hasn't been very cold yet, so I can't really say what difference it made. I also cleared a space in my garage so I can park it inside (more for not having to scrape than starting) and have a timer to give her a little warmth first thing in the morning.

My solutions easiest to hardest:
1. Cycle key with 20sec delay to get the glow plugs hotter - $0
2. Plug in whenever you can, get a timer if you're worried about your electric bill, mine draws around 500w, runs for 3hrs every morning. - $0.15/day
3. Switch to the Bosch 5v plugs. They're apparently not as good as the original ceramics, but better than the 7v steels, and won't ruin your engine when/if they fail. - $80

The Webasto sounds really nice but is also very, very pricey (in my opinion anyway). My situation doesn't warrant it. If it's below 10F I'm probably not going anywhere anyway. I have power where I park and can usually even park in the garage. If I was in the north and had to deal with extreme cold and/or couldn't plug in it would make a lot more sense.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks everyone, I value everyone's input. I re-installed the ceramic plugs and no longer have any starting issues. I will order the 5V plugs and install when temperature warms up enough that my fingers dont fall off. The Webasto fix seems like the best way to go however, it is the most expensive and time consuming fix. Maybe if i was in a cold climate year-round and/or I use my jeep on a daily basis. I work from home so I will plug in when it gets really cold, I just didnt want to fly somewhere for a week, leave my jeep at airport and not be able to start when I cam back.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:42 pm 
LOST Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7VOGBpC1wxc&feature=youtu.be#dialog

Starting your CRD in the winter...

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:29 pm 
LOST Addict

all mine start pretty well in 20s with the 7 volt metal plugs Etecno. Last week was 23 F two days in a role with high about 32 started fine no cycling . Around 10 to 15 really need to cycle but start ok, At 0 F best to plug in little while.

I would use the Bosh 5volt steel with the stock 7 volt programming if I was to replace them. Then use timer and plug in or keep in garage etc. If in very cold climate the webesto buts not needed in many places in the US.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden