It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My latest crazy idea. KJ with snomobile rack on top!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:14 pm 
LOST Addict

I know, I'm going to get some serious laughs on this one.
PRO-RMK® 155 (408 pounds dry)
But, do you think it's reasonable to build a custom aluminum (less weight) rack with integrated ramp for the KJ with the HD OME lift? Or would the COG be too dangerous? I'm thinking about the lightest super reliable sled on the market, which I listed above.

The rack would be the length of the jeep lol!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post subject: Re: My latest crazy idea. KJ with snomobile rack on top!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:16 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm not the first! LMAO

https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/s ... of.377848/

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Seeing the pictures posted in that link...

I think it would be better to engineer a flip down tailgate for the liberty.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:45 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:

I have been thinking about that one for a long time, You wouldn't believe what I've been carrying in the back of me Jeep.....
As a welder, I can tell you that would not be an easy one !

For the OP: I would never build something like that for safety reason !!! And you can probably buy a used truck for the price you will pay for that rack !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:16 pm 
LOST Addict

PZKW108 wrote:
flash7210 wrote:

I have been thinking about that one for a long time, You wouldn't believe what I've been carrying in the back of me Jeep.....
As a welder, I can tell you that would not be an easy one !

For the OP: I would never build something like that for safety reason !!! And you can probably buy a used truck for the price you will pay for that rack !

Good point on the cost. Where I drive my trailer is a serious danger, and I haven't been able to find studded or snow trailer tires for my small trailer. I guess chains should work if I can find them that small

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Why would you need studded OR snow tires for a trailer? You don't need traction on a trailer's wheels, they aren't driven and can't really slip. Same reason why you don't mount chains on trailer tires, even on big trucks.

Now more weight on the drive wheels / studs / snows / chains on any powered wheels, certainly. Anything that helps you move forward. The issue with a trailer is likely that it adds drag and weight, but doesn't substantially increase the traction weight on the drive wheels, so effectively you have less HP /torque per pound of weight.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:32 pm 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
Why would you need studded OR snow tires for a trailer? You don't need traction on a trailer's wheels, they aren't driven and can't really slip. Same reason why you don't mount chains on trailer tires, even on big trucks.

Now more weight on the drive wheels / studs / snows / chains on any powered wheels, certainly. Anything that helps you move forward. The issue with a trailer is likely that it adds drag and weight, but doesn't substantially increase the traction weight on the drive wheels, so effectively you have less HP /torque per pound of weight.

A trailer in really bad road/trail can slide sideways, it can also drag you in the ditch depending on the weight of it.

I think that's what the OP was trying to say !!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah, on steep icy roads the trailer will jack knife and slam you into the ditch, then when you jump out pissed that your jeep is smashed, you slip on the ice and hurt yourself. Then I was laughing at my stupidity as I was sliding down the solid ice...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete