It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can my CRD make it over the Rubicon Trail?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:08 pm 
LOST Addict

It’s not likely I’ll ever make that long drive west again, but it’s fun to think about.

So I’ve been watching some YouTube videos of Jeeps and trucks going over trail. Many of which are mostly stock with 32-33 inch tires.

I’m thinking mine would do just as good.

I’ve got 32” tires, 2.5 inch lift, factory front skid and trans skid.
Should probably get a winch.

What else do you think I’d need?

Post subject: Re: Can my CRD make it over the Rubicon Trail?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:20 am 
LOST Member

Yes, maybe, it's a long walk home.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:52 am 

Rock rails and lockers front & rear. :rockon:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:24 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Balls of steel.... And a spare vehicle with a tow trailer to get you home.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

When I picked up my CRD from the guy that did the RMS he was packing up his truck & trailer to go rescue one of his customers that had broken down on the Rubicon. I jokingly suggested the CRD was Trail Rated and it would be fine. He laughed but didn't offer a position. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

to the original question - I don't know - however there's a SoCal Lost and when they were active - I think they had folks do that.
although the last posts indicated they're over at facebook now.

I would bet Allyrand or JJsTJ (used to be KJ) has tried it.

Lost traditionally had a Moab get together - and I did a lot of Moab trails - by following the guy in front of me - he was in KJ and if he didn't fall off - I was okay.
but the Jeep setup should be the same. (it's much better in a group)

however overall we made it though some really serious Jeep trails

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:25 am 
LOST Addict

Ok, here's the list.
Let me know if I missed anything...

Balls, steel, 2-each
Some friends, in equally or more capable vehicles
Basic tool kit that includes a battery powered impact gun
tire inflator
tow straps
winch + appropriate rigging
wood blocks / shoring materiel
small shovel
camping gear
food and water
fuel cans, oil, grease, extra fluids
VHF/UHF radios
"high-lift" or other appropriate jack?

Armor:
front skid plate
transmission skid plate
transfer case skid?
fuel tank skid?
rock sliders?

Spare parts:
rear shocks
U-joints
Spare drive shaft(s), front and rear?

Locking differentials, front and rear?
I'm of the mind that, with capable and experienced off-road drivers, locking differentials are not an absolute necessity. Yes, they can make life easier, but I've driven vehicles over rocky, uneven terrain with open diffs. Just takes some training and skill.
My CRD has the factory limited slip in the rear. I think I'm good there.

Last (well, actually the first thing) and probably most important:
A thorough inspection of all brakes, suspension, and driveline components.

:SOMBRERO: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :SOMBRERO:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:40 pm 
LOST Addict

You'll really want the sliders and hi-lift so you can change a tire on the trail (good lift points), not to mention sliding on rocks.
A Truetrac in the front would really help forward momentum and fight spinning a front tire dangerously fast. If you take it really easy, a front locker would double your traction, and put a huge smile on your face!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

x2 … my offroading experience is extremely limited, but I can't imagine doing anything without lockers. Losing what little speed you have while simultaneously grenading a diff! Ack!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:26 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Rock rails and lockers front & rear. :rockon:

X2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Short answer--not easily and maybe not at all.

Some background--next year I will celebrate a half-century of 4 wheeling. I haven't done the Rubicon (too far away and not of big interest to me), but I've 4 wheeled many trails of difficulty approaching or equaling it. I own a Liberty CRD with Frankenlift II lift and 245 75R 16 tires. My "hardcore" 4 wheeler is an XJ with a 3-3.5" lift kit, 31" tires, locking rear differential, skid plates, and winch. The XJ has certainly been over trails of "Rubicon difficulty." I mention it for comparison purposes.

What the Liberty CRD can do--the engine and transmission are more than capable for Rubicon-like trails. The CRD will just idle along over about anything. It will also get about double the off-road fuel economy of the 4.0 L gas engine in the XJ.

The first thing where the Liberty has issues is ground clearance. My measured minimum ground clearance in the XJ is about 10"+ at the front differential. The Liberty has a minimum ground clearance of about 8.25 inches at the rear shock mounts and around 9" at the front suspension skid plate. That latter number is deceiving. Here's why: A solid front axle (SFA) vehicle will maintain its ground clearance at the axle no matter if the suspension is in compression or not. The body clearance may go down when the suspension is in compression but the axle clearance won't. So, 10" clearance on the XJ front axle is 10", no matter what. Not so with the Liberty independent front suspension (IFS), or most any other IFS, for that matter. So, that 9" of ground clearance at the front suspension skid plate of the Liberty will be something significantly less than that when the suspension goes into compression. The softer the suspension or the more compression that occurs, the less that "real" ground clearance will be. Many of the more hard-core IFS 4WD's try to address this by "tucking" the differential and other components in the center of the vehicle higher up, so that the vehicle will still have adequate clearance when the suspension is in compression. The Liberty's center components are NOT tucked up in that far, so the ground clearance loss at compression may be troublesome. That front suspension skid plate on the Liberty will get a hell of a workout on a rough trail (mine has the dents and scratches to prove it). The only other way to negate the IFS's tendency to cause problems in compression is to stiffen the springs and shocks enough to substantially reduce suspension compression. Of course, that also negates many of the other advantages of an IFS and makes it handle and ride much more like an SFA vehicle.

The second big issue with the Liberty has to do with its vehicle height. In my comparison, despite having less ground clearance than the XJ, the Liberty sits several inches taller at the roof. This means that its center of gravity is higher than the XJ. As a result, the Liberty will feel much more "tippy" than the XJ on an off-camber trail. Worse yet, if, for example, that front IFS goes into compression on one side on an off-camber slope going downhill, that can make the "tilt angle" of the Liberty even worse. I've had couple of pretty hair-raising experiences driving the Liberty down an off-camber slope that didn't even phase the XJ when I drove it down the same trail.

Finally, my Liberty is equipped with the factory limited slip rear differential. It works OK for many situations, but I much prefer the rear Detroit Locker in my XJ. I'm not a huge fan of limited slip or non-selectable locking front differentials. While they can be great for rock crawling, in mud or snow they can tend to push the vehicle straight ahead even when the front wheels are turned. So, my advice there is, if you want a locking front differential, get an electronic or air locker that is driver selectable.

One other note, notwithstanding all the "Trail Rated" hooey (and that is what it is), a stock un-lifted Liberty is only marginally trail capable, at best. Many "soccer Mom" AWD CUV's have better ground clearance.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:41 am 
LOST Addict

Quote:
The second big issue with the Liberty has to do with its vehicle height. In my comparison, despite having less ground clearance than the XJ, the Liberty sits several inches taller at the roof. This means that its center of gravity is higher than the XJ. As a result, the Liberty will feel much more "tippy" than the XJ on an off-camber trail. Worse yet, if, for example, that front IFS goes into compression on one side on an off-camber slope going downhill, that can make the "tilt angle" of the Liberty even worse. I've had couple of pretty hair-raising experiences driving the Liberty down an off-camber slope that didn't even phase the XJ when I drove it down the same trail.

Ahh, this is something I hadn't though of.
Florida is very flat. Being off-camber is not something I encounter.
First, dont load a ton of stuff on the roof. I have and its noticeable.
Second would be to widen the stance with different wheels. Which then creates tire clearance issues when turning. There's only so much pounding of the pinch weld that can be done.
I currently have 235-85-16 tires on stock rims, no spacers.

This would also be a good reason the keep the sway bars on.
Especially the front.
When I removed the rear sway bar I noticed a huge improvement in rear axle articulation, firmly keeping both rear wheels in the dirt, with no significant impact on road handling and turns.
When I removed the front sway bar I noticed a moderate improvement in smoothness over rough terrain but a huge impact on road handing and turns. In fact, when driving in windy conditions it was nearly impossible to keep the vehicle going straight. I was fighting the wheel the whole time.

Quote:
The Liberty has a minimum ground clearance of about 8.25 inches at the rear shock mounts and around 9" at the front suspension skid plate. That latter number is deceiving. Here's why: A solid front axle (SFA) vehicle will maintain its ground clearance at the axle no matter if the suspension is in compression or not. The body clearance may go down when the suspension is in compression but the axle clearance won't. So, 10" clearance on the XJ front axle is 10", no matter what. Not so with the Liberty independent front suspension (IFS), or most any other IFS, for that matter. So, that 9" of ground clearance at the front suspension skid plate of the Liberty will be something significantly less than that when the suspension goes into compression. The softer the suspension or the more compression that occurs, the less that "real" ground clearance will be. Many of the more hard-core IFS 4WD's try to address this by "tucking" the differential and other components in the center of the vehicle higher up, so that the vehicle will still have adequate clearance when the suspension is in compression. The Liberty's center components are NOT tucked up in that far, so the ground clearance loss at compression may be troublesome. That front suspension skid plate on the Liberty will get a hell of a workout on a rough trail (mine has the dents and scratches to prove it). The only other way to negate the IFS's tendency to cause problems in compression is to stiffen the springs and shocks enough to substantially reduce suspension compression. Of course, that also negates many of the other advantages of an IFS and makes it handle and ride much more like an SFA vehicle.

I've got, while sitting on pavement:

11 inches clearance at the front skid
12 at the trans skid
9.25 at the center of the rear diff
(I can maybe add another 1/2" of lift to the front)

The OME 2790 front springs are really darn stiff.
In the picture I posted above with one corner up on a 16" block, the difference in front spring compression left to right is less than 1 inch. The majority of suspension articulation is at the rear.
But thats on flat land, going over only one simulated rock.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FYI apparently at introduction Jeep ran the KJ over the Rubicon

They don't mention how much support staff they had.
https://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/16598/

Troy mentioned it
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=751669#p751669

and the KK http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=235328#p235328

FYI 2 -I have Rock rails and always carry a Hi-lift
also I bent the stock tranny skid at Moab -enough to put a dent it the trans pan
It still worked - got me home - but I changed it out
now have a All-J's 1/4" skid plate - but haven't really had a good test for it.
(they don't make them any more - only available used)

also have Front and rear Truetrac's