It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sagged OME springs?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 pm 
LOST Addict

After about ten years it looks like it's time to replace my OME springs. I'm about 21" from axle center to fender all the way around. Soon to stuff 31.7" duratracs in there (+4.10's). Adding top plate & clevis and 2 rear isolaters also.
Looks like the front has sagged 1" since after break-in, and the rear has seen lots of heavy towing so more like 2".

Any thoughts or advice? Are there any springs that will last longer, and are there any taller springs that work better than the clevis/top plate/extra iso's? Looks like JBA is done with the kj...

Edit: has anyone gained more rubbing after 8+ years on OME's? Not a bad lifespan, but would be nice to have a little more room for age, but CV danger always part of the equation...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post subject: Re: Sagged OME springs?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:29 am 
LOST Addict

My sons OME lift has been on about 7 years and it isn't sagging. On the other hand one has the Dayton lift which is more mushy feeling but also hasn't aged and its been on 9 years.

I know you are extremely familiar with the CRD and probably do more low gear offloading than most of us but I still wouldn't change to 4.1 s but it may be helpful and even more efficient depending on your use especially if you have 2 crd s one for offloading and one for more OTR with snow etc.

I gave one with I believe a rockfather lift at least 3 inch that is my salvage vehicle and has been on it at least 5 years and hasn't sagged but I think its just too much lift for the CV s etc.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:30 am 
LOST Addict

I would probably get the heavier front end OME whether you have winch or not.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:23 am 
LOST Addict

Quote:
Any thoughts or advice? Are there any springs that will last longer, and are there any taller springs that work better than the clevis/top plate/extra iso's? Looks like JBA is done with the kj...

There are no "taller" springs unless you switch to a coilover setup.
Front stock type shocks are limited in extended length. Doesn't matter if they are OME shocks, or Bilstein, or Monroe.

What is your current front spring setup?
Are you currently using a top plate or clevis spacer?

When I first put the OME 2790 front springs in mine it sat at 21 inches (2" total lift).
I then added two conduit nuts to each side to bring it up to 21.5.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:22 pm 
LOST Addict

I have the full OME lift with no spacers and the HD fronts.
And the long rear shocks. Looks like and ARB and winch are happening soon also.
Glad to hear that 21" is normal. I got the idea from one of the list threads that I should be higher. I'll just replace the front struts, and maybe the rear springs since I've been so hard on them with overly heavy towing. Not going to be a problem anymore since I got a tandem axle on my boat trailer :rockon:

As for 4.10's. Even trying a hot self tune I'm unable to keep 4th on the highway grades, and I'm overheating the transmission on the offroad grades. That's with the 245/75/16's. So, it will be terrible with 265/75's.

But, I have to agree, for the flat parts of the country, you don't have to regear. When I got my CRD it had 265/75's and it had plenty of power even with a stock tune. But, it was a mall crawler without the necessary fixings for 32's, so I stepped down in size. And, the dynapros were cupped badly (loud)...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete