It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 65rfe in my CRD?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone successfully swapped a Dodge PU tranny 545rfe or 65rfe into their CRD? I can get a '15 65rfe for about half the stock trans, but I don't want to spend the next month making it work. I understand the TC should be upgraded, anything else? What is the difference in driving?

Post subject: Re: 65rfe in my CRD?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:38 am 

Mrgabesir wrote:
Has anyone successfully swapped a Dodge PU tranny 545rfe or 65rfe into their CRD? I can get a '15 65rfe for about half the stock trans, but I don't want to spend the next month making it work. I understand the TC should be upgraded, anything else? What is the difference in driving?

Take a look at this thread, this thread, and this thread. They should answer pretty much every question you may have.

The big difference in driving is that second prime now becomes part of the normal shift sequence rather than only available under kickdown; this was accomplished through a software change. Other than that, the 545RFE and 65RFE are more or less identical.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:16 am 
LOST Addict

You can use a 65rfe but will have to swap over the valve body and solenoid pack from your 545rfe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you both, been doing more research. Does anyone know if the 65rfe out of a '15 Dodge 1500 would have the same TC as my 545rfe? Now I'm considering a rebuilt 545rfe from https://www.detroitaxle.com/, not that much more than the used 65rfe, and it sounds like they will install upgrades for me, but if the 65rfe already has an upgraded TC, then that might be the difference for me. Going to talk to them today, see what kind of upgrades they can offer me, and if it would still carry the 3 year/30k warrantee.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:11 pm 

Mrgabesir wrote:
Thank you both, been doing more research. Does anyone know if the 65rfe out of a '15 Dodge 1500 would have the same TC as my 545rfe? Now I'm considering a rebuilt 545rfe from https://www.detroitaxle.com/, not that much more than the used 65rfe, and it sounds like they will install upgrades for me, but if the 65rfe already has an upgraded TC, then that might be the difference for me. Going to talk to them today, see what kind of upgrades they can offer me, and if it would still carry the 3 year/30k warrantee.

Things to consider on the Dodge 545rfe.
Gasser's torque converters have higher stall speeds than the Jeep CRD.
Some have used the Hemi transmission/TC but do report the higher stall speed of the TC.
A 15 I believe has to have the solenoid pack swapped back to the earlier model solenoid pack which is compatible with the Jeep CRD's TCM (electronics).
Any transmission/Torque converter they are quoting you if it is designed to go behind any engine other than the Hemi I believe the torque converter would be way to weak in the long run for the Jeep Diesel's higher torque output.
Bottom line, If you can go with the Hemi transmission and are willing to swap out the solenoid pack and you are willing to live with the higher stall speed, you will be ok going with a 545rfe out of gas powered Dodge. :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve