It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Troubleshooting my KJ
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:22 am 
LOST Newbie

I have 2002 KJ 2.5CRD Manual. During the last trip MIL lit up and the car went into some strange limp mode. The RPMs at idle, 1st, 2nd and the rest of gears would be always around 1100-1300 and no throttle response at all.
Now I'm trying to troubleshoot what happened. So I bought an ELM327 and tried to read codes and it came up empty. But it did reset the MIL.

When I do the ignition on/off 3 times trick on the dash I get 4 Codes:
-P1130 (I guess related to fuel filter change)
-P1643 (maybe also didn't connect the fuel heater properly)
-P0340 (CKP POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT - looks bad)
-P0836 (the indications on dash work fine)

So the main question is how do I properly set up ELM327 and Torque Pro app so I can continue troubleshooting? From what I've found on the forums I tried using protocols SAE J1850-VPW and ISO 9141-2. But it reports no codes from ECU and reads RPM only 200 when idle (actual is ~800) and no other parameters.
The car now drives fine. Does anyone know if these codes displayed on dash are just history and cant be erased?

Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting my KJ
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:23 am 
LOST Addict

I am sure someone will know but in US models the method you used to get those codes does not work on our models. Sounds like you were in LIMP mode . The P0340 at least seems as if it would be a stored code because if the ECM doesn't get information from the crank position sensor the engine will not run at all but often will start working again when engine cools a bit then it runs normally till it completely stops again. I dont see the other 2 codes on our models but unplugging the fuel head heater on US model2005 and2006 years does not produce a code/CEL I would think all the codes can be erased but will may need a more advanced OBD scanner will let others address that. At least its running correctly now.

Good Luck !

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:42 am 
LOST Newbie

The code descriptions I got was from a document I've found posted here called 02kjed.pdf
-P1130 FUEL RAIL PRESSURE MALFUNCTION LEAKAGE DETECTED
-P1643 VISCOUS HEATER RELAY OPEN CIRCUIT - I assumed it was related to fuel. Now that I googled I see I was wrong.
-P0836 TRANSFER CASE POSITION SENSOR PLAUSIBILITY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:26 am 
LOST Member

Where are you located?

I am in South Africa and also have a 2002 Export 2.5 CRD 5 speed manual...RHD bought new in May 2002.

First of all you have very little chance of finding a Reader to read out your stored CEL codes!
This has been going on for many years and I have yet to find someone with our type of vehicle that has managed to red out codes. Our KJs use only a PCI bus for internal communications.
Later KJs added CAN and SCSI busses while retaining the PCI Bus for a few functions.

I drove my Jeep into a Bosch Service Center to ask for my codes to be read out.
The Technician took one look at my Bosch ECM and shook his head! :?

I am surprised that you get codes out by switching ignition On/Off three times.....I can only get this to work by doing this action 4 times....I thought that this was a difference between our Export models compared to the USA gas models!

Without looking in detail at your codes....will do so later....you must definitely download the "2002 Jeep KJ Service Manuals" below...gives you all the theory of Operations and Section 8W has the Wiring Diagrams. But while you are there you Must also download the section "2.5_2.8 export diesel".

This second item has all the Error Codes and what to do about them....very useful. They often direct you to possible failing items...what voltages to measure etc. The only problem is where you are directed to use the DBIII device to perform actions...only the Dealers have this device! :(

This "limp" mode may is often caused by air in the fuel system...you need to make sure you have a clean fuel filter and pump the air out of the fuel-filter head....it helps to crack open the 13mm brass nut while you are doing this!.

The MAP sensor is very sensitive on these Jeeps of ours. The Export models have a MAP sensor held in by two smaller Allen Bolts compared to the USA models that use a single larger bolt.
This Bosch Map sensor is very delicate...only spray of with Brake Cleaner...do not use a bush on it!.

The Transfer case has a "switch" that senses if you are in 2 Wheel Drive, 4 Wheel Hi or 4 Wheel Lo.
This is effectively a switch that has a few resistors inside...moving the lever brings various resistors into effect which tells the ECM which mode you are in. This "switch" is rather expensive so I have not bothered replacing mine although I have no lights coming ON when I move the lever. Maybe check the connector on this switch...the Manuals will show you where it is located!

You can remove the connectors off the ECM without disconnecting the battery...some Error codes tell you to do so. Maybe re-plug the connectors a few times.

I have had many wiring problems caused by a front-end collision and have replaced about 14 wires completely...luckily I know my electronics! :wink:
The last wire I replaced though was not near the front of the Jeep but one of the wires going from the MAP sensor to the ECM.

The error regarding the "Viscous Heater Relay" is probably caused by a previous owner trying to disable this heater by pulling out the Relay or cutting the lead to the heater.....I have tried doing this as recommended by our USA members but on our models it sets this code. Check the wiring diagrams if you want to re-connect this painful heater!

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the reply. I'm located in Lithuania (small country next to the Baltic sea). I've had the Jeep for 2 years already without any problems.
I have been checking the manuals you're directing to, that's why I want to find the OBD reader that works so I can troubleshoot.
I guess I'm out of luck. Is it possible to reset codes by unplugging battery I've read about it and tried but it didn't work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:16 am 
LOST Member

smikiz wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I'm located in Lithuania (small country next to the Baltic sea). I've had the Jeep for 2 years already without any problems.
I have been checking the manuals you're directing to, that's why I want to find the OBD reader that works so I can troubleshoot.
I guess I'm out of luck. Is it possible to reset codes by unplugging battery I've read about it and tried but it didn't work.

Impossible to reset the codes on these Export Jeeps of ours...only Dealer can do so! :?
Best to write down the codes in the order they occur then any new code set will show up last.

But say you have code P1234 set months ago....if the code appears again it will not go to the bottom of the list but back up where it first appeared.

The old codes seem to fade away over time...codes that were set years ago on my Jeep no longer show up and I have not been to the useless Dealers here in years! :wink:

Some codes set...such as the one I had with the bad wire on the MAP sensor...do not turn off the CEL light straight away when the problem has been resolved....it takes a few days of on/off driving before the ECM is happy that this problem is definitely gone and decides to turn the CEL light off!
But in this case I knew I had fixed the problem because I suddenly had good performance again! :wink:

A good site for our old Export CRDs is: www.ausjeepoffroad.com

They have lots of owners of these old CRDs...RHD models....and lots of experience! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:22 pm 
LOST Member

Also, I presume you have the Command Trac Transfer case like I have....Transfer lever should show 2 wheel drive, Part Time Hi and Part time Lo. This type of transmission means that you can only use 2 Wheel drive on hard surfaces like tarmac...the Select Track has Full Time Hi and Lo so those Jeeps can stay in 4 wheel drive...the Command Trac means you can only use 4 wheel drive in very slippery surfaces at low speed!

Also you probably have the 4.10 rear axle and Trac Loc rear diff which is a form of semi-locking diff.
My Jeep has a sticker on the rear axle stating this. The Trac Loc rear diff needs the addition of Mopar Friction Additive that you put into the rear diff before filling it up with oil..usually 75w95 mineral.

My Jeep started feeling funny when doing tight turns on hard surfaces like tarmac so I drained the rear diff by removing the cover, cleaned out the diff, re-fitted diff cover with a good silicone sealant, put in the Friction Additive and filled up with gear oil. That stopped the problems with tight turns on pavement! :wink: