It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RPM jumping up and down, higher fuel consumption, more s
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 am 
LOST Addict

agree

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:53 am 
LOST Member

We have these 2007 Export CRDs here in South Africa.

They are basically exactly the same as the 2005/6 CRDs in the USA/Canada market.

Does not come with an in-tank pump.

May have a different style Raycor Fuel Head compared to USA/Canada models.

I do believe that this 2007 CRD has a 'Fly-by-wire" accelerator pedal which gives a lot of problems...this may be the cause of the revs jumping up and down!
You can try cleaning the pedal mechanism or else replace it.

There is a butterfly valve in the intake system...some owners have removed the flap on this mechanism as the plastic gears driving it tend to break and cause jams.

The Aussies have a few of these models...you can try asking them at the KJ Section at: http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com

As far as your comment that the "Dealers Should know how to replace the timing belt"...here in SA the Dealers have always been pretty useless and a recent shakeup in the Jeep/Fiat/Alpha Franchise has now made them totally useless! I avoid them as much as is possible while I nurse my 2002 Export 2.5 CRD along! :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok,

Have been running Injector Cleaner solution for the last 2-3 weeks. RPM's leveled out, yet pressure still jumps. Engine works pretty steady.

Still have excessive black smoke at lower RPM"s accelerating, sometimes.

Engine works better.

Looks like whether injectors were/are dirty, or some of the valves got stuck.

Will try cleaning EGR and see what's there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ran injector cleaner fir around 4 weeks, everything was fine, still some extra black smoke and higher mpgs.

Filled up without injector cleaner, stood idling with front en up for around 10 mins, rpms started jumping again, later on a traffic light got white smoke, then it disappeared.

Finally got a code, which comes up every time i clear it, idles roughish. P0301 cylinder 1 misfiring.

Is it a stuck valve or leaky injector?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:14 am 
LOST Member

Try swapping Injector #1 with one of the other injectors and see if the problem moves.

That will determine if the #1 injector is at fault. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:45 am 
LOST Newbie

I disconnected the very front one next to cam belt ( assuming it's cylinder 1 ) and couldn't start it at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

Maxy Waxy wrote:
Ran injector cleaner fir around 4 weeks, everything was fine, still some extra black smoke and higher mpgs.

Filled up without injector cleaner, stood idling with front en up for around 10 mins, rpms started jumping again, later on a traffic light got white smoke, then it disappeared.

Finally got a code, which comes up every time i clear it, idles roughish. P0301 cylinder 1 misfiring.

Is it a stuck valve or leaky injector?

sometimes these injectors suffer a worn out ball seat (control valve) due to ULSD fuel lack of lubricity and filtration. that's why most of us installed better fuel filtration systems, the only way to know the health of the injectors is to remove them and send them to BOSCH for testing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:32 pm 

Another simple suggestion is to add some cheap (non-synthetic) 2 cycle oil or Marvel Mystery Oil or a mixture of both to the fuel tank at every fill up to increase the lubricity of the fuel and protect the valuable injection pump and injectors. I have been doing this for over 20 years now to my Cummins diesel and 7 years to my Liberty CRD and have never had an issue out of either. :D
Some say it does not help, but so far it certainly has not hurt anything.

It has also been reported that adding bio-diesel to ultra-low-sulphur diesel at a level of 1-2 per cent, which is a higher concentration than regular lubricity additives but improves the lubricity of the diesel by 30 per cent.

Now if your driving a late model diesel with DOC, DPF and SCR Filters, I would not recommend adding any additives.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:11 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Another simple suggestion is to add some cheap (non-synthetic) 2 cycle oil or Marvel Mystery Oil or a mixture of both to the fuel tank at every fill up to increase the lubricity of the fuel and protect the valuable injection pump and injectors. I have been doing this for over 20 years now to my Cummins diesel and 7 years to my Liberty CRD and have never had an issue out of either. :D
Some say it does not help, but so far it certainly has not hurt anything.

It has also been reported that adding bio-diesel to ultra-low-sulphur diesel at a level of 1-2 per cent, which is a higher concentration than regular lubricity additives but improves the lubricity of the diesel by 30 per cent.

Now if your driving a late model diesel with DOC, DPF and SCR Filters, I would not recommend adding any additives.

Please explain what you mean by "DOC, DPF and SCR Filters" and why not add additives! :?

Here in South Africa we have very limited choice in what Diesel fuel we get...no such thing as Bio Diesel!

Most Fuel outlets supply 50 ppm Diesel or we can get 10 ppm Diesel from SASOL who create petrol and diesel out of coal....this is what I use as I can feel a difference between this and the 50 ppm Diesel.

Filter wise my "late model" 2002 Export 2.5 CRD uses a Raycor fuel head....a bit different to the USA market...and I only use Mopar Filters.

Every so often the engine sounds a bit rough so I add an additive to the fuel tank which cleans it up for a while. :wink:

Fuel consumption is not so good but lately I only do short trips to the stores and back while under Lockdown...no open-road travel!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:06 pm 

Billybob wrote:
Please explain what you mean by "DOC, DPF and SCR Filters" and why not add additives! :?
Here in South Africa we have very limited choice in what Diesel fuel we get...no such thing as Bio Diesel!
Most Fuel outlets supply 50 ppm Diesel or we can get 10 ppm Diesel from SASOL who create petrol and diesel out of coal....this is what I use as I can feel a difference between this and the 50 ppm Diesel.
Filter wise my "late model" 2002 Export 2.5 CRD uses a Raycor fuel head....a bit different to the USA market...and I only use Mopar Filters.
Every so often the engine sounds a bit rough so I add an additive to the fuel tank which cleans it up for a while. :wink:
Fuel consumption is not so good but lately I only do short trips to the stores and back while under Lockdown...no open-road travel!

In your case, I would add a good diesel fuel treatment additive like Diesel Kleen+Cetane Boost, Stanadyne, or Lucas, into your fuel at every fill up.

Modern diesel powered vehicles sold here in the US starting about 2008 were required to meet tier 4 EPA standards.
At the same time the EPA was changing rules for over the road diesel fuel sulfur content.

Exhaust aftertreatment devices that were applied to diesel engines to try and meet these EPA standards were:Exhaust Gas Recirculation Systems (EGR) Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC), Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) and Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) catalysts.

A exhaust gas recirculation device (EGR) takes exhaust gases leaving the engine and re-enters them back into the intake manifold to try and lower NOx emissions leaving the combustion chamber of a diesel engine. The EGR reduces NOx by lowering the oxygen concentration/content entering the combustion chamber which lowers air to fuel ratio. This also can impact overall kw output of engine.

A diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) is an aftertreatment component that is designed to convert carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide (CO2) and water. It breaks down pollutants in the exhaust stream from a diesel engine, helping to reduce particulate matter (PM). ...

A diesel particulate filter (DPF) is a device designed to remove diesel particulate matter or soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel engine before it leaves the tailpipe.

A Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) is an emissions control technology system that injects a liquid-reductant agent through a special catalyst into the exhaust stream of a diesel engine.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:47 am 
LOST Member

Thanks, I will look for the Diesel additives you mentioned there... I believe I have seen the Lucas Brand and I will make a point of using an additive at every tank fill-up! :)

My Export 2.5 CRD does not have the EGR Sensor and the complex work that needs to be done to disable the EGR....I have simply blocked the one rubber tube going to the solenoid that opens the "dump" valve at the fixed-vane turbo.
I actually have the honor of being quoted in SAMS NOOB GUIDE about this trick for the early turbos but it was Tonycrd who proposed this move for the early CRDs. Pity Tony sold his 2.5 L CRD and left this forum...he had some good advice! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Disassembled injectors and cleaned them all myself. Sounds good now. Will see if I get any codes soon.

Did one injector at a time. Sometimes didn’t work and engine wouldn’t start. So opened it up again and cleaned it. If would have taken all out then wouldn’t be able to know which one needs to be opened op again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:41 pm 
LOST Member

Maxy Waxy wrote:
Disassembled injectors and cleaned them all myself. Sounds good now. Will see if I get any codes soon.

Did one injector at a time. Sometimes didn’t work and engine wouldn’t start. So opened it up again and cleaned it. If would have taken all out then wouldn’t be able to know which one needs to be opened op again.

It is a good thing you took one injector out at a time...worked on it and put it back in place.

The injectors I believe have special numbers marked on them which are loaded into the ECM so swapping them around supposedly gives you slightly worse performance.

We do not have a BOSCH agency here where I stay but there is one near to where my Brother lives in Johannesburg...I may visit them sometime and think I need to get BOSCH to service my injectors...rough idle and bad fuel consumption! These BOSCH Agents though were not able to read out codes from my 2002 Export 2.5 CRD...they took one look at the BOSCH ECM and shook their heads...I have to use the "key" trick to pull codes and have survived for 18 years now doing this! :)

How difficult was it to clean the injectors yourself? :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Injectors don't have a serial number, it's just a model number / type.

as I got one spare, i installed it.

All 5 injectors were the same. I read somewhere that spring loosens with age, which means thin washers could be installed as fuel high pressure pump gives higher pressure, if you have the equipment to test.

also parts can be replaced, like needle and ball bearing, springs, etc. See diagram below.

Not hard at all.

roll of kitchen towels, wd40, little screw driver to scrape out soot, long screw driver to clean out socket in the cylinder head ( also used milk bottle plastic cap, cut out hole in it, cut short length of garden hose to fit, taped it firm, attached to the hoover, sucked it all out ), material sponge for scrubbing frying pans ( fix nozzle in the drill and rotate pressing on the sponge, cleans well, if your needle bites the nozzle, then press that sponge inside the nozzle with a tiny screw driver and rotate, same with the needle ).

Do not take middle apart, not needed. Just check ( holding vertically ) when top and bottom of the injector are off press valve ( little pin ) upright at the bottom of the injector, it should fall down with gravity.

After playing with cleaning put nozzle into a hand car/bike pump ( the one you can squeeze/fix for shedder / pesta nozzle ) and blow the needle inwards ( fixes properly in the pump ).

Then use wd40 inside the nozzle and see if all 6 holes are clear, you'll see nice spray.
Also spat inside the fuel line inlet and press valve upright.

If one of the holes is blocked, find little electrical wire, split it and use one of the veins to clean the hole and then use pump inwards and wd40 outwards for checking, also hold nozzle upside down and spray inside, let all debris leak out, clean inside by twisting kitchen towel. Make sure you use one that doesn't fall apart easily and isn't a material one. PAPER !

Edges are sharp and sometimes kitchen towel rips inside, pull out with a little screw driver, keep an eye.

IF YOUR EYESIGHT IS BAD DO NOT OPEN !!!

There will be few little parts,: 1 spacer, 2 washers, 2 bigger washers ( one top, one side ), 2 sprigs, ball bearing seat with little ball, 2 guide pins and few others, all magnetic except THE BALL. Tiny stainless ball, jumps everywhere.

I'd suggest using A3 white sheet of paper with folded edges.

Then spray and clean several times.

Main thing is : Lubricate nozzle with wd40 or similar and hold nozzle upside down, install needle and make sure it falls out freely and you push it back in again, several times, make sure nothing is biting. If it does, then use sponge, drill and screw driver to clean inside the nozzle and outside needle, NOT METAL SPONGE, just a rough material kitchen sponge for frying pans and dishes.

You will also need to replace copper rings at the bottom of the injector.

http://dieselcatalog.online/en/bosch/04 ... 10218.html

I didn't have part N48 and above that N805, instead I had a longer spring, same was in all injectors.

Also one rubber got blown off one of the injectors, it is for cooling nozzle. Make sure you have one spare. I'll run without it, but avoid.

Cylinder N4 is at the back, is the hardest as you can't see inside the socket. Take a picture with your phone and make sure it's clean.

N3 is easier, but plastic valve needs to be taken off for easier access ( easy ).

Tools needed to take out injector:

Spray WD40 leave over night.

8 socket with extensions.
10 socket with extensions.
13 spanner in case you fuel line adapter nut will be spinning
17 spanner for fuel line
adjustable spanner to take off bolt for engine noise cover ( 15 or 16 )
long screw driver, couple of clothes to clean socket, thin long players to pull out pins from the return line of the top injector and pull out injector holder.

To disassemble injector:

Bench vice, to hold injector in.
adjustable spanner ( I think it's 30 )
13 spanner
15 spanner

In case you will decide to disassemble the middle it’s the large Allen key.