It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ESP, Antilock and traction lites all coming on
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:53 pm 
LOST Member

I have seen this problem a couple of times now. When driving up one of my favorite short cuts, a very bumpy dirt road, after ~1/2 mile all three of these lights come on. I expect the traction light, as there are a lot of washboards and the wheels are bouncing quite a bit, but the others are a surprise. Both times, all three warning lites stayed on after I got to the top of the shortcut, and back onto relatively smooth roads. When I try to pull codes, there are none, either logged or pending. The lites remain the next time I start up, but turn themselves off after a few tenths of a mile of driving.

At first I thought a short in the sensor wires to the back wheel (had and fixed that before), but IIRC that throws a code which sticks.

This isn't really a problem (I don't think), at least it hasn't been so far. But I would like to know what might be causing these lites to come on.

TIA

Post subject: Re: ESP, Antilock and traction lites all coming on
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:01 am 
LOST Member

Does the crusie control stop working as well? It does sound like one of the abs sensors or wiring is bad. I have seen the rear abs wiring on a 2006 be bad over top of the differential, not just at the sensors in the hubs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:12 am 
LOST Member

mrhemi wrote:
Does the crusie control stop working as well? It does sound like one of the abs sensors or wiring is bad. I have seen the rear abs wiring on a 2006 be bad over top of the differential, not just at the sensors in the hubs.

The 05 has the abs speed sensor on top of the diff, the 06 has a 4 ways abs system !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:14 pm 
LOST Member

Good question on the cruise, did not think of trying it on these back roads. But the next time this happens I will try.

It does sound like a short in the abs/whel sensor wiring. But when this happened before, it did not heal itself and there was a code there to let you know.

I was wondering if perhaps if one does not turn off the anti-skid when going over long rough roads, it reaches some limits (eg when it would be cutting power almost continuously) and so flashes these lights on and turns itself off for a while. Just a theory to test out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:09 am 
LOST Member

PZKW108 wrote:
mrhemi wrote:

The 05 has the abs speed sensor on top of the diff, the 06 has a 4 ways abs system !

I know the difference between an '05 & '06. The OP's signature states '06. The rear ABS sensor harness is routed over top of the differential. There is a factory wire tie there that is usually too tight causing a break in the insulation. This leads to corrosion in time causing the described symptoms. I have two CRDs that this has cropped up on. The fix is to cut out and replace the corroded wire section. Soldering and proper shrink tube insulation are required.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:01 pm 
LOST Member

mrhemi wrote:
PZKW108 wrote:
mrhemi wrote:

I know the difference between an '05 & '06. The OP's signature states '06. The rear ABS sensor harness is routed over top of the differential. There is a factory wire tie there that is usually too tight causing a break in the insulation. This leads to corrosion in time causing the described symptoms. I have two CRDs that this has cropped up on. The fix is to cut out and replace the corroded wire section. Soldering and proper shrink tube insulation are required.

Yes you're right, I misread you !

there is a connector under the rear seat so you can test the last part of the ABS wire. the connector also have the wire for the sending unit going to the fuel tank !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:17 pm 
LOST Member

Just thought I'd update. Problem comes and goes, no obvious breaks in the sensor wires that I could see. However the problem started happening on smooth paved roads too, so whatever the problem, it is getting worse.

Headed to Autozone, who had a scanner which would talk to the ABS controller. Found two stored codes: C102B and C1032, both pointing to the right rear sensor/circuit.

So with the problem narrowed down to one wheel, I can concentrate there. Will pull the sensor and see if the "gear" under it needs cleaning and check the wires again. But until the connection fails completely not sure I can locate it just by looking for shorts. If nothing else looks bad, will throw a new sensor in to see if that fixes it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:49 pm 
LOST Member

Pulled the wheel sensor and everything looks good from the outside. But the sensor resistance is infinite (eg an open inside most likely). Could not find a values in the FSM for what resistance it is supposed to have but generically ABS sensors are 600-2k ohms, so I think this one is shot.

Anyone know if one should be able to measure resistance on these sensors, and what a good one measures?

TIA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:05 pm 
LOST Member

mrhemi wrote:
PZKW108 wrote:
mrhemi wrote:
There is a factory wire tie there that is usually too tight causing a break in the insulation. This leads to corrosion in time causing the described symptoms. I have two CRDs that this has cropped up on. The fix is to cut out and replace the corroded wire section. Soldering and proper shrink tube insulation are required.

This has happened to me twice, as mrhemi has described. Both times for me were on the left rear side. The twisted pair wiring is very stiff and seems to break at the wire tie attachment points.

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:44 am 
LOST Member

So I think this one is solved and thought I'd wrap it up.

It was a break in the wires, actually 3 weak spots in one wire all within 3" or so so around one of the attachment points (the one where it ties to the lower spring mount). A bit of a pain to find in that it was three spots that would open up when the wire got flexed enough. But to all those who pointed me to the wiring, you were right.

I did try a new sensor, and the new sensor read ~13k ohms between the pins. So they are quite a bit higher resistance than the "generic" value, in case someone else is checking one.

Well hopefully this problem is closed. Until the next one...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Glad to se you got the problem fixed. I suspect there will be a lot more similar problems as the CRD s age even more.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden