It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Word of Caution on Power Steering Hoses
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:41 pm 
LOST Member

I’m currently dealing with an issue as a result of a leaking pressure hose. It seems there are no replacements available anywhere as Jeep stopped making them. I haven’t completely sorted it out yet, but I may end up taking mine to a hydraulic shop to make up a new one. This may involve buying a hose for a gas engine Liberty to get good ends for attaching to the rack. I haven’t got mine out yet to inspect it, but I figure if the visible part was rotten, the ends may be too.

So if anyone is parting out a CRD and has a decent PS pressure assembly, please take it out carefully and pass it along to someone who needs it. If you happen to come across one anywhere, new or used, grab it and hang onto it. As the vehicles get older, more and more are bound to be failing.

One other thought, if anyone n here is in another country, check and see if the part is available. If so, please let the forum know and maybe we can figure out a way to get a few of them over here. I’ll take one for sure.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Word of Caution on Power Steering Hoses
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:32 am 
LOST Addict

I highly suspect a shop would be able to make a similar hose assembly of course the big question is the connectors but an adapter may be able to be made also. Hopefully a replacement part is available in europe if this isn't possible. Others may have had experience with this.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:47 pm 
LOST Addict

I've got a few rusty crd's that aren't worth restoring, so I'll part them, but please post the costs involved because I'm skeptical that it's worth the hassle of installing old used hoses, and was going to leave all of the power steering parts for the junkyard.
Do the hoses just thread off, so that they're easy to remove?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:36 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I have now found a shop that is willing to do it. They are an antique and classic car place, and assured me they can do it for a reasonable price. I’ll see how it goes.

Mountainman: The original part was around $400, so it is pretty pricey for a PS hose. I agree about old used hoses, but if nothing else is available it might be worth hanging on to them, especially if the ends are good. They are threaded, I believe, but not easy to remove, unless you already have the vehicle apart. Trouble is junkyards don’t usually save them because they are old and new ones are usually pretty cheap. This is a different situation, of course, with them being unavailable now.

Last edited by graycenphil on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:15 pm 

graycenphil wrote:
Well, I have now found a shop that is willing to do it. They are an antique and classic car place, and assured me they can do it for a reasonable price. I’ll see how it goes.

Mountainman: The original part was around $400, so it is pretty pricey for a PS hose. I agree about old used hoses, but if nothing else is available it might be worth hanging on to them, especially if the ends are good. They are threaded, I believe, but not easy to remove, unless you already have the vehicle apart. Trouble is junkyards don’t usually save them for because they are old and new ones are usually pretty cheap. This is a different situation, of course, with them being unavailable now.

If possible, please check with the shop as to what they find out re: fittings and hoses. This may be useful to someone down the road who needs to have a set made.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:21 pm 
LOST Member

TKB4 wrote:
I highly suspect a shop would be able to make a similar hose assembly of course the big question is the connectors but an adapter may be able to be made also. Hopefully a replacement part is available in europe if this isn't possible. Others may have had experience with this.

There is also a dampener/reservoir on the pressure side that can be hard to source or problematic if deleted !

And also just for clarity, there is a pressure hose and a return line but they are attached together and sold as a single unit !!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:48 pm 
LOST Member

I did see the dampener/reservoir. What really is the purpose of that, and what happens if you get rid of it? For that matter, why is the whole hose setup so convoluted?

On most cars, at least in the old days, the pressure hose just went from the pump to the box and the return came back to the pump. Why is it so complicated on the Jeep?

I will get all the details I can on the rebuilt hose.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:48 pm 
LOST Addict

graycenphil wrote:

Mountainman: The original part was around $400, so it is pretty pricey for a PS hose. I agree about old used hoses, but if nothing else is available it might be worth hanging on to them, especially if the ends are good. They are threaded, I believe, but not easy to remove, unless you already have the vehicle apart. Trouble is junkyards don’t usually save them for because they are old and new ones are usually pretty cheap. This is a different situation, of course, with them being unavailable now.

Thanks, $400 just for the hose, ouch! I guess I'll pull the whole system until I hear otherwise.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:50 am 
LOST Member

Did you try RockAuto?

I got the power steering coolant hoses from them last year.

Is this like your pressure hose? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 69&jsn=375

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:48 am 
LOST Member

That looks like the hose for the 2005 CRD. Rockauto doesn’t list one for the 2006, and everybody else says it is discontinued.

But now you have me wondering. Does anyone know the difference between the two years? Might the ‘05 hose work on the ‘06? Did they change the pump or the rack?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:18 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm pretty sure they are identical. I'll verify and get back to you

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:57 pm 
LOST Addict

From what I can see they look the same. Someone should verify that has an 06 that's not packed full of parts

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:08 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks Mountianman.

I’m curious why they would have switched the pressure hose setup, and why the ‘06 has such a convoluted hose. According to Rockauto, the pumps are the same but the racks are different part numbers. Perhaps the racks are different enough that the ‘05 hose won’t fit? Or is it some minor difference, and the ‘05 hose will work fine? I also wonder about all the other stuff in the ‘06 hose setup. Would it work fine if I just ran a hose from the pump straight to the rack, like most PS systems seem to have?

Anybody know?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Hmm, ince you're seeing different part numbers, I can pull some parts out of the way and take a look closer. The engine is coming out anyhow :dead:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:52 am 
LOST Member

RockAuto has a good return policy. You could order it and compare to yours. Do you have it off yet?

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:49 am 
LOST Member

From the pictures of the part, they are very different. But if the pumps are the same, and the racks are similar, I wonder if the ‘05 part would work fine. I don’t see why it shouldn’t, if the connector to the rack is the same. I don’t know what purpose is for all the extra stuff on the ‘06.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:29 pm 
LOST Addict

I happened to be at the location of my partially parted 06 today, and took pictures, and then compared them to the 05 parts I just removed. They look identical. Rock auto is probably just mistaken.

-There's a junction below the steering shaft that has 4 lines coming out of it.
-theres a cooler near the headlight
-there's that weird (condenser?) On the k-frame
-the pump
-and the reservoir
- the connections on the r&p are in the same location.

I have some pulled that are for sale off of a jeep with 104k if the price is crazy...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:35 pm 
LOST Member

Very interesting. So your ‘05 has that same crazy setup as the ‘06 with the weird condenser under the rack and then the hose that goes up behind the headlight? But the part Rockauto lists for the ‘05 is just a simple setup. This is all very odd, but we do seem to be making some progress.

I’m beginning to think that if I just got the ‘05 hose it would have worked, one way or another.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:27 am 
LOST Addict

Yup, and I've had dozens of crds apart and never noticed any other flavor. I think rock auto has a wrong pic. I wouldnt change the stock setup as i've never seen one with an issue, only heard of a few here on lost. Mine has about 230k on it and roughly half that with big tires, only replaced the cap oring... FWIW

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:17 am 
LOST Member

Thanks Mountainman. Pretty interesting.