It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel system problem
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:55 am 
LOST Member

Hi all,

Haven't been around for quite a long time, good to see this place is still active. My 2006 CRD since last summer started to develop a fuel supply problem, so it is not something critical, but it recently started to get worse. Sometimes after several days of non-usage the engine starts normally, but then quits abruptly in a minute or so. This delay time varies, I sometimes manage to pull out of the driveway before it happens. No amount of cranking can revive the engine at this point, however after some vigorous manual pumping I begin feeling a resistance on the priming pump and then the engine starts normally and no further abnormalities are observed. It seems like some valve in the fuel system is no longer sealing properly and the fuel simply drains back into the tank under gravity. Is this a known symptom? Or maybe it is high time to finally install a lifting pump? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Post subject: Re: Fuel system problem
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:43 pm 

BoarX wrote:
Hi all, Haven't been around for quite a long time, good to see this place is still active. My 2006 CRD since last summer started to develop a fuel supply problem, so it is not something critical, but it recently started to get worse. Sometimes after several days of non-usage the engine starts normally, but then quits abruptly in a minute or so. This delay time varies, I sometimes manage to pull out of the driveway before it happens. No amount of cranking can revive the engine at this point, however after some vigorous manual pumping I begin feeling a resistance on the priming pump and then the engine starts normally and no further abnormalities are observed. It seems like some valve in the fuel system is no longer sealing properly and the fuel simply drains back into the tank under gravity. Is this a known symptom? Or maybe it is high time to finally install a lifting pump? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,Alex

Short term,
if your fuel heater is still plugged in on the fuel filter head, unplug it and look for any signs of fuel leakage. If you see ANY, leave unplugged, spray and clean plug in cavity real good with brake or carb cleaner and after fully drying, completely fill the opening with silicone glue. Tape up the connector and leave it unplugged as it does very little in actually heating fuel.
Long term,
You have air seeping into your fuel system slowly as it sets. The sealing "O" rings are designed for pressure and not vacuum.
Install an intank fuel pump and all air in fuel problems will be gone forever. Any leaks will be evident very quickly as fuel leaks out instead of air leaking in.
Next to EGR removal, installing an intank fuel pump is the second most popular mod on these vehicles.
Plenty of information on "how to" on this forum. If you have any questions or need help, just ask, lots of very helpful members.

This is one of many good threads:> http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26385

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: Fuel system problem
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks so much WW! Really appreciated! Just checked my record (having three vehicles on my hands I finally started one few years ago, my memory doesn't serve me well enough anymore :)) and sure enough, the problem started happening right after the most recent fuel filter replacement. So looks like you were spot on with your short term diagnosis (or something else is leaking nearby). And since my EGR is deleted already the lift pump is going to be the coming winter project.
Best,
Alex