It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 05 Liberty CRD no crank
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

05 Liberty 2.8l 168,000 mi. no start, only 1 click and solenoid engages and turns the engine maybe 1/4 turn and then nothing. Installed starter relay, new starter, ignition switch and actuator still no crank, remove the starter relay and use jumper wire and engine cranks over fine but won't start, reinstall the relay and back to 1 click and engine turns over about a quarter turn and then nothing. All fuses checked out and all terminals cleaned. Had it in a shop to replace the rear crankshaft seal(was leaking) when I got the Libby back I found that the shop had forgotten to place the wiring harness above the tranny(where it belongs) and instead it was hanging down below the transmission, so I pulled it up on my ramps and pulled the tranny back out and put the wiring harness back above the tranny where it belonged and made sure that no wires were in a pinch anywhere. After reinstalling the tranny, that's when I had the problem with no crank and decided to change the relay, starter, ignition and actuator and there it is folks, so now it is still on my ramps and I am TOTALLY lost as what could be the problem and what to do next. Any and ALL suggestions would be greatly appreciated .....Oh and also installed a new battery and used a high capacity capacitor jump box all relays changed, same results

Last edited by rainforrestguy on Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 05 Liberty CRD no crank
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Have the battery load tested.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:32 pm 

flash7210 wrote:
Have the battery load tested.

This. Also swap relays and see if the problem persists.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Any codes found.
It sounds like a problem with the main battery lead to the starter if you are jumpering straight to the starter as it cranks with the jumper leads. The connection in the end fittings can be poor. If not & you are jumpering to the battery terminals, you have a battery issue. I have the lid on my starter relay loose so I can just press the flapper & it cranks from under the hood. You could try & see if the issue is low voltage in the starter control circuit like a bad connection on the starter.

Please let us know how you go. Doubt its the tranny removal, more like a loose/bad connection. Check all earths.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:05 pm 
LOST Member

Always worth checking grounds. Battery cable, but anything else too.

That said, it sounds to me like a bad starter relay. You said that when you jumped the relay it cranked fine, so I assume the starter, battery (and battery ground) are good. You did replace the starter relay, but perhaps the new one is bad?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did try new relays, as a matter of fact I bought 9 new ones and replaced all the relays in the power distribution center, when the same thing happened I switched all the relays around a number of times and had the same results, turn the key hear the solenoid engage and the engine turn about a quarter turn..... I can't figure this one out!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:45 pm 
LOST Member

No codes?

Is the starter relay de-energizing, or is the starter just stopping cranking? Can someone listen/feel the relay to see if it clicks off when the cranking stops? Or is the relay still sending power to the starter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Haven't check to see if the relay de-energizes, I'll check that tomorrow, if it does de-energize what could be the cause?
Codes: P0564 Cruise Control Multi-Function Input Signal
B10B3-body
B2TAE-body

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:30 am 
LOST Member

Those codes don’t sound like they’re telling us anything. If the relay is staying energized and the starter stops turning, it suggests the problem is the starter or the power supply (battery or cables or ground). If the relay is switching off, it suggests something is telling it to.

You could also try cranking with the headlights on. Do they get really dim when it starts to crank?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Been up at the farm all day, finally got a chance to see if the start relay remained on while turning the key to start, it did, as long as I held the key in the start position the the relay remained closed but still only a solenoid click and a quarter turn on the engine, when I released the key the relay opened back up. The headlights don't dim while trying to turn the engine over. I did notice today the first couple times I tried to crank the engine all the instruments on the dash pegged completely over to the right ie: speedometer, rpm gage, fuel gage, when the chimes came on all the gages zeroed out and the gas gauge slowly climbed as it should, this happened about 5 times before the gages returned to normal. Probably have to dive deeper into the grounding system. Does anyone have a full wire diagram for the 05 liberty crd? been searching but no luck yet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:58 pm 

A good 12v test light could dianoise your cranking issue real quick if you are losing ground or losing 12v going to the starter. :wink:

The full wiring diagrams are in the Factory Service manuals
FS Manuals are available on the below web site for viewing and you can download the PDF to your computer.
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the link, I'll let everyone know what's going on as I proceed with my diagnosis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:14 pm 
LOST Member

Conventional wisdom would say you have a solenoid or starter problem: The relay is still energizing the starter, but it stops turning.

That said, it is odd that when you jump the relay, the starter runs continuously. And sometimes these computer controlled systems don’t subscribe to conventional wisdom. Still, I would start looking there. And the test light is a good idea for that.

Good luck and please do keep us informed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:35 pm 
LOST Member

Take a thick Jumper cable with clamps on each end.

Clamp one end to the negative post of the battery and the other end to the Starter Motor casing.

Remove fuse #8 40 Amp and check that it is good and the fuse contacts on the fuse and fuse holder are clean and tight....re-fit the fuse!

Place Jeep in Park and Neutral in case one of these Interlocks is failing.

Now try start from ignition switch or remove the Starter Relay and briefly jumper female pins 30 and 87 together in the empty socket.

If it turns over now then the grounding is bad....the negative battery lead goes to chassis and the engine is grounded to chassis by two leads at the back of the heads. :wink:

Can you turn the motor over by hand?
I presume the new Starter Motor included a new attached Solenoid?
Place a Voltmeter over the Starter motor with respect to ground...should not drop below about 10 volts.

The Wiring Diagram Section 8W has the positions of the grounds in the index section, Component Locations...sometimes with diagrams showing their physical locations.

Last edited by Billybob on Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Billybob I'll give that a shot in the morning, and yes the libby will turn over by hand and the new starter came with a new solenoid attached

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:44 pm 

It could be your battery or connections, have it load tested as others have suggested.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:33 am 
LOST Addict

Maybe the codes are not all a red herring. The cruise control code especially. Since all this began after the transmission manipulation along with the needles all pegging out on the gauges it sounds like it could also be a short in the wiring assuming the eco could only allow it to crank a quarter turn. You might try disconnecting transmission control module and clean if necessary and reconnect.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

So,after doing a lot of wire tracing I've come to somewhat of a solution, the start motor relay circuit from the ECM was not energizing, I installed a t-splice with a 2ft. pigtail into the dark green/orange wire coming from the ECM and and going to the starter relay, touched the pig tail to earth/ground while holding the key in the start position and I got the engine to crank up beautifully only problem my Libby won't start. I'm totally lost as to what the problem could be other than a bad ECM and have no idea how to check the ECM, does anyone have a test that I can perform? I do happen to also own a 2006 Liberty limited that runs perfectly and I have thought about switching the ECM's to see if my 05 would fire up, the problem is the ECM's have different part numbers and I'm afraid that I may also kill the ECM from my 06. The 05 ECM's part # is P56044 562CC with the GDE eco tune and the 06 ECM's part number is P6044 776BA with no tunes installed, is it possible to put the 06 ECM into the 05 just to check if it will fire up without harming the ECM?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Cranks but won’t start?
Is the red dot lit on the instrument cluster?

1. Check all fuses

2. Verify that the engine is getting fuel

3. Maybe consider replacing the crank sensor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Replaced crank sensor, all fuses check OK. It does crank now when I connect the drk green and yellow wire from ECM to ground but won't start