Post subject: Re: 4wd modes when to use full time
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:33 pm 
LOST Member

WolverineFW wrote:
Jett wrote:
Rrusse11 wrote:
"Hey....get back to shopping for your Touareg TDI over on ClubTouareg."

Woverine,

You know, the more I look at them, the less I want one. A huge money pit, expensive parts, and nobody knows how to work on them. If I had the bottomless checkbook, sure, then you buy the Cayenne. But realistically, and affordably, the Jeep will do me. It'll tow what I need, better off road capability, and cheaper to own, insure,
and I can do some of the work on it. Doesn't have the bling/pose factor, but I can afford to run it. Four timing chains? vs $350 for a TB kit (Idparts has a sale on). On the V10 you have to pull the motor to change the turbos.
Cost me $350 for a tune, running good with the tranny fix. Total rebuild of the brakes and new tires < $1k with my trusted mechanic doing the work. From all reports the CP3 pump keeps running, the HDPF failure on a Tregg runs into multiple $ks. Shall I go on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cheers

VW product is garbage always has been and the shift to “luxury” only made it worse. I would never own one for any reason. Why when you can have a bmw or mercedes or rover? Or THREE Jeeps?! Lol.

BMW, Mercedes or Land rover? Lol....You can also find a laundry list of issues with all three of those brands without too much trouble, so let's not create an illusion that they are some how infallible.

Of course VAG group vehicles have issues as well, but I have owned three 3.0L TDI vehicles and still have two of them....two Audi Q7's....and the only issues I have had all relate to the emissions systems components that have been mandated of the years. I have fixed them all myself in my driveway. The Ross Tech VCDS scanner is quite powerful for the price.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

If you want a quality vehicle you buy a Toyota, if you want a luxury vehicle you buy a mercedes. Where does VW fit into this model? That’s all my point is. I would rather have the headaches of a mercedes because at least you have a mercedes then. VW are doo doo. No offense about your taste. Jeep is doo doo too, but at least they dont pretend to be top tier luxury.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:16 pm 
LOST Addict

All true but Toyota’s are boring :P

The only Toyota that’s exciting to drive and worth it’s price tag is the Lexus RC-F

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

"Toyota’s are boring" flash

I respect Toyotas, but there's nothing to love about them. For a couple of years downunder I had a Toyota pickup with a diesel in it, never seen one in NA. Thing just kept running, and the further outback you went, it was the diesel landcruisers that were the ones still going. Land Rovers, not so much. My manual 240D was a great car until somebody set fire to it. A great sedan, but the Golf wins the handling stakes.

Haven't had a chance to test the Jeep in the rough stuff, but the more I drive it, the more confident I become in its offroad capabilities, not a luxury car, a rugged little truck. And frankly it's more comfortable on the highway than I thought it would be.

Whatever floats your boat, your mileage WILL vary.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:52 pm 

Jett wrote:
If you want a quality vehicle you buy a Toyota

Scotty? Scotty Kilmer? :ROTFL:

Quote:
if you want a luxury vehicle you buy a mercedes.

Here's the thing: Mercedes used to have very good engineering and build quality - though I will thoroughly admit that they were never without their issues. However, as they increasingly became a volume manufacturer throughout the 1980s and 1990s (which has continued on to today) while expanding their model range increasingly downmarket, their engineering efforts and build quality have fallen off considerably.

About the only thing that keeps them afloat is their badge. Every time I see a GLA or CLA in traffic, all I can think is that the driver is fooling no-one and has set themselves up for incredibly expensive service bills until the lease is up.

Quote:
Where does VW fit into this model? That’s all my point is.

And that's a fair question. Here's the best answer I can give:

VW - as they sit now - isn't aiming to sell luxury cars. They're aiming to sell very nice cars that offer a bit more than their competitors in the same market segments in terms of feel, both cabin and driving. They're also moving heavily into electrification, both of their model range and energy supply.

Admittedly, they did make an attempt at selling into the quasi-luxury and luxury markets about 10-15 years ago. It didn't work out for them, but the cars that they were putting forward in that segment (particularly the Touareg and Phaeton) were actually really great vehicles that only suffered from having the wrong badge on them.

My father owned a 2006 W12 Phaeton that he bought in (IIRC) 2010. That was an astoundingly brilliant car, and with the advantage of being a complete stealth vehicle - lacking the body and badging of the Bentley it was derived from, it was a total sleeper in addition to being incredibly good at what it did.

I'm under no illusions that our 2012 Jetta TDi is a Phaeton. It's not even close. But it is a well-made, reliable, great-at-what-it-does vehicle. We're planning on running it until it's either legislated off the road, self-immolates, or meets its fate at the hands of a collision.

Quote:
I would rather have the headaches of a mercedes because at least you have a mercedes then.

Hopefully, the badges on that vehicle will provide you some respite while you're staring at them from the waiting room at the dealer's service department :wink:

Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Cadillac, Lincoln, others - I have to giggle a bit at the perception of these as being luxury vehicles. They're not. Certainly, they have nice specifications and are arguably built better than their stablemates from elsewhere in their respective corporate hierarchies (where applicable), but when I can throw a rock in traffic and have it bounce off of any of a dozen so-called luxury vehicles before it hits the ground, I really do have to wonder as to how much the vehicles actually offer vs. their many owners' ability to sign a lease.

Quote:
VW are doo doo. No offense about your taste. Jeep is doo doo too, but at least they dont pretend to be top tier luxury.

Just wait for the Wagoneer coming out in the next year or two. That's going to push Jeep into the six-figure-mass-luxo-SUV territory that the Range Rover has been occupying for the past couple of decades. It'll be interesting to see how successful or not they are in that segment, given that it's not one that Jeep has previously fielded vehicles in and in which they have zero experience.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:34 pm 

Have you priced a Jeep Gladiator, a fully loaded one is pushing 70k. When the diesel version comes out bet it will be in the 80's or more.
A new fully loaded Dodge 1 ton dually is already is already in the 6 figure price range for a dang pickup truck. :shock:

As to Mercedes, the newer ones, only a dealer can work on and service the transmission, and it costs $$$$ when you have to have it worked on.
I can tell you some horror stories about late model Mercedes and their proprietary software issues.
Don't ever buy one unless you have lots and lots of money that you really don't need...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:03 am 

WWDiesel wrote:
Have you priced a Jeep Gladiator, a fully loaded one is pushing 70k. When the diesel version comes out bet it will be in the 80's or more.

I really do believe that the Gladiator is Jeep's biggest and most cynical attempt at cashing in on the Jeep name and past history of truck building in at least 40 years.

No breakover angle. No selection of cab types. A bed that doesn't even really hold up against my Subaru Brats. Not much in the way of power. Too long to turn around on a trail. Ridiculously expensive for what you get.

It's perfectly Mall Rated.

Quote:
A new fully loaded Dodge 1 ton dually is already is already in the 6 figure price range for a dang pickup truck. :shock:

And that's the thing... It's no better for a dedicated truck than a Gladiator.

Quote:
As to Mercedes, the newer ones, only a dealer can work on and service the transmission, and it costs $$$$ when you have to have it worked on.
I can tell you some horror stories about late model Mercedes and their proprietary software issues.
Don't ever buy one unless you have lots and lots of money that you really don't need...
[/quote]

^^^ this.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:44 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:

Tried a 2012 car once, a Tacoma. Sold it quickly and went older again. I don’t know if I can ever drive anything newer than about 2008. We shall see, as I do have a reservation for a cybertruck in the cue, I snagged it the day after the release. But, it might be too new, too nice and too annoying For me. But, if anyone can keep my attention it will be Elon. The guy is a genius.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:47 am 
LOST Member

casm wrote:
Jett wrote:
If you want a quality vehicle you buy a Toyota

Scotty? Scotty Kilmer? :ROTFL:

Quote:
if you want a luxury vehicle you buy a mercedes.

Here's the thing: Mercedes used to have very good engineering and build quality - though I will thoroughly admit that they were never without their issues. However, as they increasingly became a volume manufacturer throughout the 1980s and 1990s (which has continued on to today) while expanding their model range increasingly downmarket, their engineering efforts and build quality have fallen off considerably.

About the only thing that keeps them afloat is their badge. Every time I see a GLA or CLA in traffic, all I can think is that the driver is fooling no-one and has set themselves up for incredibly expensive service bills until the lease is up.

Quote:
Where does VW fit into this model? That’s all my point is.

And that's a fair question. Here's the best answer I can give:

VW - as they sit now - isn't aiming to sell luxury cars. They're aiming to sell very nice cars that offer a bit more than their competitors in the same market segments in terms of feel, both cabin and driving. They're also moving heavily into electrification, both of their model range and energy supply.

Admittedly, they did make an attempt at selling into the quasi-luxury and luxury markets about 10-15 years ago. It didn't work out for them, but the cars that they were putting forward in that segment (particularly the Touareg and Phaeton) were actually really great vehicles that only suffered from having the wrong badge on them.

My father owned a 2006 W12 Phaeton that he bought in (IIRC) 2010. That was an astoundingly brilliant car, and with the advantage of being a complete stealth vehicle - lacking the body and badging of the Bentley it was derived from, it was a total sleeper in addition to being incredibly good at what it did.

I'm under no illusions that our 2012 Jetta TDi is a Phaeton. It's not even close. But it is a well-made, reliable, great-at-what-it-does vehicle. We're planning on running it until it's either legislated off the road, self-immolates, or meets its fate at the hands of a collision.

Quote:
I would rather have the headaches of a mercedes because at least you have a mercedes then.

Hopefully, the badges on that vehicle will provide you some respite while you're staring at them from the waiting room at the dealer's service department :wink:

Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Cadillac, Lincoln, others - I have to giggle a bit at the perception of these as being luxury vehicles. They're not. Certainly, they have nice specifications and are arguably built better than their stablemates from elsewhere in their respective corporate hierarchies (where applicable), but when I can throw a rock in traffic and have it bounce off of any of a dozen so-called luxury vehicles before it hits the ground, I really do have to wonder as to how much the vehicles actually offer vs. their many owners' ability to sign a lease.

Quote:
VW are doo doo. No offense about your taste. Jeep is doo doo too, but at least they dont pretend to be top tier luxury.

Just wait for the Wagoneer coming out in the next year or two. That's going to push Jeep into the six-figure-mass-luxo-SUV territory that the Range Rover has been occupying for the past couple of decades. It'll be interesting to see how successful or not they are in that segment, given that it's not one that Jeep has previously fielded vehicles in and in which they have zero experience.

Yep, you eloquently summed up what I was trying to say but much better. Those w12 engines are really cool I will admit, although something so complex should probably be reserved for very special cars that don’t get driven much, rather than a Ute. Just my opinion. They do make some interesting stuff and I have to admire their efforts at USA diesel offering.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:15 am 
LOST Newbie

casm,
Well put sir! What VW did right is come up with the coatings and galvanizing to deal with the rust. At least their older cars have a chance of lasting more than 10-15 years. And I got lucky with my CRD, it's clean underneath.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:28 am 
LOST Addict

Quote:
I don’t know if I can ever drive anything newer than about 2008

I dont know that I could buy another vehicle newer than 1972. :lol:
Carburetor, points ignition, dirt simple automatic transmission, and no emissions controls.

So, not entirely true.
A few months ago I bought a 2012 F150. Standard cab, short bed, 2wd, 5.0 V8, a fun street performance truck.
Yeah, that coyote 5.0 has absolutely nothing in common with my beloved 302 windsor.
But it has almost 150 more HP than most factory 302's from 25+ years ago.
And yes, the 6 speed automatic is a big fat electronic pig but it does a surprisingly good job of getting the power to the ground.
Yeah, I know, "cam phasers" right?
Turns out that, just like our CRD engines, good oil is needed for good valvetrain operation and longevity.
And also, like our CRD engines, the factory prescribed oil is good for fuel economy but not best for longevity.
(prescribed: 0w-40 for the CRD, 5w-20 for the coyote)
(I use 15w-40 and 10w-30 respectively)

And yes, this 5.0 F150 is very fun to drive. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:42 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
Quote:
I don’t know if I can ever drive anything newer than about 2008

I dont know that I could buy another vehicle newer than 1972. :lol:
Carburetor, points ignition, dirt simple automatic transmission, and no emissions controls.

So, not entirely true.
A few months ago I bought a 2012 F150. Standard cab, short bed, 2wd, 5.0 V8, a fun street performance truck.
Yeah, that coyote 5.0 has absolutely nothing in common with my beloved 302 windsor.
But it has almost 150 more HP than most factory 302's from 25+ years ago.
And yes, the 6 speed automatic is a big fat electronic pig but it does a surprisingly good job of getting the power to the ground.
Yeah, I know, "cam phasers" right?
Turns out that, just like our CRD engines, good oil is needed for good valvetrain operation and longevity.
And also, like our CRD engines, the factory prescribed oil is good for fuel economy but not best for longevity.
(prescribed: 0w-40 for the CRD, 5w-20 for the coyote)
(I use 15w-40 and 10w-30 respectively)

And yes, this 5.0 F150 is very fun to drive. :)

If you can drive an automatic at all then you’re more modern minded than me. I’m really struggling with that aspect of this Jeep crd. I bulletproofed it but it still shifts like doo doo and my foot is just so confused by it all. I sure would love a manual swap option.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
If you can drive an automatic at all then you’re more modern minded than me. I’m really struggling with that aspect of this Jeep crd. I bulletproofed it but it still shifts like doo doo and my foot is just so confused by it all. I sure would love a manual swap option.

You are absolutely right.
The 545rfe absolutely shifts like crap.
And the main reason I can tolerate the automatic in the F150 is because I added the “select shift” option to it.
I would definitely prefer an manual transmission.
I have two T-5’s sitting in my garage.
One of which is going into my 70 Mustang.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:45 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
Quote:

You are absolutely right.
The 545rfe absolutely shifts like crap.
And the main reason I can tolerate the automatic in the F150 is because I added the “select shift” option to it.
I would definitely prefer an manual transmission.
I have two T-5’s sitting in my garage.
One of which is going into my 70 Mustang.

I passed up a manual parts Jeep complete for 1000 delivered, I would’ve snagged it but I read that the manual offered in these wasn’t up to the task of holding back the 2.8 but I’m wondering what parts are too weak and if it’s really true.
I’ve got mine about as well sorted as is possible I guess. Unmolested TCM, Shift kit, and billet TC. It does okay under light load but as soon as you start romping it decides that it doesn’t like that much. The engine and chassis is such a sweet little package it’s truly a shame we can’t have a stick shift. Yet another example of American stupidity imo.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Dyed in the wool manual guy here. I did do a swap to manual on my Golf.
I was astonished to find that it's generally accepted to be nigh on impossible in the Jeep, and the lack of a suitable donor tranny. So what do they drive in Europe? The word from an Aussie was that the potential
replacement was worse than the auto for torque capacity. Dunno.
I did spend the $s to upgrade my tranny, and I do shift it. The OD button works for keeping the revs up, into neutral rolling to the light/stop. But I didn't buy it for performance, I bought it for grunt. Got the GT machine already.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manual-trans ... SwX4BfNUm1

Here's for a 2.5l CRD. Maybe one of you motorhead guys can figure something.

Then from wiki books, some info on manuals vs autos. Taller 5th on a NV3500

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Libe ... nsmissions

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:14 am 
LOST Junkie

The manual for the 2.8 is a 6 speed. They are tuned to hold back a little on the tune. The weakness is the low down torque & drivers not changing gears.
I have one with a blown engine I am rebuilding.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:41 am 
LOST Newbie

layback40 wrote:
The manual for the 2.8 is a 6 speed. They are tuned to hold back a little on the tune. The weakness is the low down torque & drivers not changing gears.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Speed-MANUAL ... 0752.m1982

Thanks layback, so the NSG370 would be the way to go, albeit geared a bit low.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

Rrusse11 wrote:
layback40 wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Speed-MANUAL ... 0752.m1982

Thanks layback, so the NSG370 would be the way to go, albeit geared a bit low.

That looks like the one. You will need the clutch peddle etc. IDK how the electronics (TCM) for the auto will like it.
They are reported as not as strong as the 5 speed that went in the export XJ diesel.
IDK what sort of sincro cones they have. The 5 speed needed non moly oil so as not to destroy them as they are yellow metal.