It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does a bad CPS ever throw the ETC and battery light?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have been getting the ETC lightning bolt and battery light intermittently coming on without any noticeable engine issues. I would sometimes get a check engine light and voltage code.
I have cleaned the grounds under the drivers headlight, near fuel filter. and big one to engine block. I have been inspecting the wiring harness looking for issues. Battery and alternator are fairly new.
I went out a couple days ago and had a "crank no start". Glow plugs were activating, good fuel with no air, starter is turning over quickly indicating good electrical circuit. No codes. Tried it a couple times during the day with same result Went out the next morning and it fired right up. No check engine light but I had 2 codes show up on the reader - 0335 CPS and 0560 voltage.

Could this be a crankshaft position sensor issue, a wiring harness/ground issue?

Recommendations appreciated.

Chris.

Post subject: Re: Does a bad CPS ever throw the ETC and battery light?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:09 pm 

P0560 -- System voltage – malfunction Wiring, poor connection, battery, alternator
Lighting Bolt is is when ECM sees loss of alternator current output or loss of communication with alternator.
Voltmeter placed on battery terminals while engine is running will tell you output voltage.
Possibly a alternator going bad, loose wire(s)/connector, bad wire, etc...

P0335 -- Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor – circuit malfunction Wiring, CKP sensor, ECM
Starting issue if battery voltage is good, above 9.5 volts,
most likely a bad crank sensor. They are notorious for going bad.

Normally the lighting bolt warning light would have nothing to do with a starting issue if battery is good.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:45 pm 
LOST Member

What year is this CRD?

Some differences in how the alternator works between years!

The 2005 CRD has the troublesome FCM (Front Control Module) involved. :?

And yeah the Crank Sensors give problems...replace with Mopar only...I see lots of problems reported on other Jeep site as regards non Mopar Sensors. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:23 pm 
LOST Addict

The 05 and 06 Liberty CRDs sold in North America all have the same alternator.
It has a built in regulator and is self-exciting.
(I know nothing about those in other countries but I assume they are the same)
Similar in function to a GM “1-wire” alternator even though it has 2 wires.
I’ve tested it, it will still function with that one small wire unplugged.

The alternator can be repaired by replacing the voltage regulator if you can find the part.
I’ve done it.
Also, the pulley is known to go bad and can be replaced also.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:57 am 
LOST Member

Yeah I agree that the alternators are self regulating and the same PN.

But the 2006 Manuals show that the Alternator is driven by the ECM while the 2005 is driven via the FCM which can get dirty contacts:?

Keith from GDE knows this operation well and gave us a good explanation about this years ago...I will try find his posts. :wink:

If I remember correctly the Alternator is OFF at startup so as to lessen the strain on the starter motor and then gets a "wake up" call which fires up the Alternator as the engine fires. :)

Always worth cleaning the FCM contacts as it is exposed to the elements and all the Busses go through it...could be a factor in the other problems that are showing up! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:57 am 
LOST Newbie

Its a 2006.
I did replace the CPS to no avail but am glad I finally got around to putting a new one in.

Good discussion on the alternator. While driving around after the CPS replacement, I watched the voltage on my OB2 reader and it jumped to 16 volts giving me a ETC, Battery and check engine light. It was an intermittent voltage issue and would drop down to a normal 13.8 - 14.2 range after 30 seconds at high voltage.
I had initially dismissed the alternator being faulty as it is about a year old. I have a replacement on the way (under warranty) but I was wondering about the 2 wires and if there was something else going on causing the voltage to spike.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:06 pm 
LOST Addict

I’d have the battery tested before replacing the alternator.
A battery that is starting to go bad could cause the voltage spike you saw.
And try driving it at night with the headlights on.
When the voltage regulator on my alternator went bad the symptom was flickering headlights and dash lights.
Most noticeable in the 1000-1500 rpm range.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

Along those same lines, flaky battery cables or grounds could also net this result.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:09 am 
LOST Member

f5hunter wrote:
Its a 2006.
I did replace the CPS to no avail but am glad I finally got around to putting a new one in.

Good discussion on the alternator. While driving around after the CPS replacement, I watched the voltage on my OB2 reader and it jumped to 16 volts giving me a ETC, Battery and check engine light. It was an intermittent voltage issue and would drop down to a normal 13.8 - 14.2 range after 30 seconds at high voltage.
I had initially dismissed the alternator being faulty as it is about a year old. I have a replacement on the way (under warranty) but I was wondering about the 2 wires and if there was something else going on causing the voltage to spike.

That sudden jump in voltage is very much indicative of a wire with a loose connection or intermittent short to chassis/engine or shorting to another random wire.

The 2006 CRD has a known problem in that the main wire harness goes behind the Fuel Filter Head Mounting Bracket which can cause damage to the wiring there which cause shorts to chassis or between different random wires.
So remove that bracket and inspect the wiring there and insulate breaks...I would pad the harness in that area to protect the wiring somewhat.

There could also be wiring areas elsewhere where wires are shorting to chassis or to other wires...I have fixed about 12 of these wiring faults...mostly caused by a frontal accident...and have seen many similar posts....these Jeeps are getting old and wire insulation is getting brittle! :?