It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY HIGH CAPACITY BATTERY
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:01 pm 
LOST Addict

The following is a you tube video of DIY lithium iron phosphate battery. You can get less amp=hour battery also as well as commercial low temp batteries such as kilovolt brand. I use lithium baterries in my home solar system. Spending $400 to $500 for a DIY battery that is half the weight and 2-3 times You will need a BMS 4 cells and some DIY knowledge . You can get by without the enclosure kit just the bottom of a battery box and some tape and pieces of styrofoam will do. If in very cold weather and not garaged you can add a switch to heat the battery.to charge it but it can be discharged like to start without heating though it may reduce the life some. I am planning on making some for my F350 and tractors. Let me add you may need to use 2 sets of say 140 amp batteries with 2 200 amp BMS units to get a high cranking amp .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsvBlQJr7b0

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

Post subject: Re: DIY HIGH CAPACITY BATTERY
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just a word of warning here while these batteries are amazing and getting better every year you have to be careful with them and you have to take very good care of them!!
I have a buddy that has been playing with them and has had a lot of luck with them in his electric VW Bug and several electric bicycles that is until last Friday night when while charge one of his bikes when in the middle of the night one caught fire in his garage causing they think so far about $40000.00 in damage in his garage, luckily they got it put out before it got into his house!!
So be careful here don't order the cheapest crap from eBay you get what you pay for!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

cwmdiesel wrote:
Just a word of warning here while these batteries are amazing and getting better every year you have to be careful with them and you have to take very good care of them!!
I have a buddy that has been playing with them and has had a lot of luck with them in his electric VW Bug and several electric bicycles that is until last Friday night when while charge one of his bikes when in the middle of the night one caught fire in his garage causing they think so far about $40000.00 in damage in his garage, luckily they got it put out before it got into his house!!
So be careful here don't order the cheapest crap from eBay you get what you pay for!!

I think you might be thinking of the lithium-ion polymer battery ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:46 am 
LOST Junkie

Yeah, if you don't need the energy density of other battery types, LiFePO4 is the safest technology there is - fire should not be a concern with them whereas is definitely is for LiPO.. It'd be great for a solar system, but less great for a car due to its lower energy density.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:08 pm 
LOST Addict

I have lithium polymer chevy bolt batteries used in my solar setup. Yes these are a fire risk if not charged properly. They must have a BMS to consider using safely. I would not recommend any lithium chemistries except Lithium Iron Phosphate otherwise know as LIFEPO4 or lifepo and other abbreviations. Usually the 30 second max on high discharge cells is 2or 3 times the amp rating or constant discharge rating also known as the 1C rating. I also doubt the friend was using lithium iron phosphate cells.

Another good thing about the right cell combo is the battery contains more energy in it for the cells in video about 3x more energy than a high capacity lead acid battery used in our CRD s . Because of this you could use a timer and 110v inverter to come on say an hour or 2 before work etc and pre heat with the block heater to make starting easier. In fact you could probably heat the block 10 hours or more without compromise to starting power of the battery.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden