It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom snorkel intake thread. Input appreciated.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:07 pm 
LOST Member

All 3" alum tubing, the current custom snorkel design consists of:
- A sizable K&N cone filter w/an alum 'helmet' capping the top of the snorkel above the roofline*;
- From the roofline, tracing the right pillar then horiz just beneath the hoodline and through the sidewall routing against the front of the existing PS bracket, then into an elbow and a 3"-2.5 flange-reducer entering my garrett GT2560R;
- This design leaves plenty of space to mount a 2nd battery in place of the old airbox;
- Provent-out taps into intake tube just before turbo elbow; - IAT relocated into tube before provent tap (= cooler);
- MAF: still on the fence whether to keep it & tap tube or to do physical & synthetic removal.

I am wondering how such a large increase in post-filter/pre-turbo air volume (5x-ish) is going to affect performance.
I have been un-thrilled by the lag of the 2560 within the stock intake config. Granted, I've only driven maybe 1k miles since installed (just sold prius plugin DD) but I expected a head-jerk improvement over stock turbo. Not so much.

So, I'm contemplating installing a variable-speed inline fan [blower] inside my custom snorkel just below the roofline, post air filter. Install a dash-knob to adjust fan-speed; Adios turbo-lag, me hopes.
What would explode?

Thanks

*working with my fabricator to design a filter-helmet which would detour & drain rain while retaining ram-air flow.

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

Last edited by Gypsy62 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Custom snorkel intake thread. Input appreciated.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:11 pm 
LOST Member

I have been thinking about it for a while.......

If you worry about the lag, you should think about bigger pipe. I don't think the fan is a good idea.

I was thinking 4" Stainless steel. The O.D. is smaller for the same I.D. with thinner wall !

If you experience lag, you might want to look into the exhaust side as well.

An other thing you can use instead of cone filter is a tractor type enclosed filter.

Following......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

Strongly agree on nixing the fan and looking at the downpipe.

Did you install a pressure reducer on the oil feed to the turbo? Ball bearing turbos generally require one.

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-an ... imization/

"An oil restrictor is recommended for optimal performance with ball bearing turbochargers. Oil pressure of 40 – 45 psi at maximum engine speed is recommended to prevent damage to the turbocharger’s internals. In order to achieve this pressure, a restrictor with a 0.040” orifice will normally suffice, but you should always verify the oil pressure entering the turbo after the restrictor to ensure the components function properly. Recommended oil feed is -3AN or -4AN line or hose/tubing with a similar ID. As always, use an oil filter that meets or exceeds the OEM specifications."

Beyond causing damage, excessive oil pressure causes windage at the oil entry which can decrease turbo velocity... which obviously causes lag.

I don't know anything about the CRD's oil system, BUT if there is excessive oil pressure at the turbo, you WILL see a decrease in lag by restricting it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:43 pm 
LOST Member

Yes, oil pressure-reducer installed at turbo-in. Thx for heads-up, in case no.

I'm going to rough-list the ongoing snorkel-related PN's & prices and edit/organize these later:
- 10'x3"IDx1/8"wall aluminum tube @ $38.
- K&N Air Filter #RE-0910 @ $57: same height as stock flat filter but tube-style with 1/3 more surface area.

Snorkel w/Provent-loop tap, MAF & IAT sensors installed:

RIGHT-SIDE BATTERY HOLDER:

... to be con't...

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:50 pm 
LOST Member

Con't: [Editing kills postimages links]
Re snorkel, pics are before & after mounting-tabs attached.
Still designing "Rain Helmet" for filter.

Re battery tray, still need to mount hard-rubber strips on bracket angles to separate battery from metal. Also need to further stabilize/secure new tray.
Still configuring 2-battery cabling setup.

Snorkel performance (& Sound!) satisfying so far.
Still intermittently throwing "299/Underboost" CEL.
On the fence re painting black for aesthetics or leaving reflective for cooler air.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

Have you watched MAP or MAF values at all? The longer the pipe the bigger the diameter must be to avoid a hit to CFM.... I could see a scenario where that long of a 3" run creates a restriction. It takes a lot of air to put 25psi into a 2.8l motor! I'm sure something about math could be done. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:17 pm 
LOST Member

thesameguy wrote:
Have you watched MAP or MAF values at all? The longer the pipe the bigger the diameter must be to avoid a hit to CFM.... I could see a scenario where that long of a 3" run creates a restriction. It takes a lot of air to put 25psi into a 2.8l motor! I'm sure something about math could be done. :D

That's right and I would also suggest mandrel bend elbows, turbulence can slow down airflow quite a bit !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:49 am 
LOST Member

Yeah, good point; mandrels are important. I like this design and routing but the tube itself is better considered an initial prototype.

Re CFM concerns: I wonder if that's a contributor to the "underboost" code it keeps throwing [299]. To determine if the Garrett install caused the cel I wished I'd kept better records post-2560 install (but pre-snorkel). I hadn't yet flashed-away the EGR code so didn't bother checking for other codes.

Increasing CFM's may also advise the vari-speed inline "blower" concept(?)

Thanks for input!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:11 pm 
LOST Member

Snorkel "helmet" maquette. Droppin' @ fab today...

2-piece front/back split-insert with rain shield on front half.
Bonus: their base-collars' overlap will serve as an integrated rain-drain:

Con't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:30 am 
LOST Member

How could a snorkel pattern from a Guinness box template NOT work??? :pepper:

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:37 am 
LOST Member

8) :5SHOTS: :rockon:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:22 am 
LOST Member

Yee-Ha!

Well, maybe "HA-Ha!" is closer to the mark.
It's def on the ruff, err... rough side, but it makes me laugh so mission accomplished. MX fab costs = $75 for the pipe + $150 for the shield/helmet combo; materials around $75.

Here's my MAP & MAF specs, and I'm very curious how they compare to stock:
FILTER ONLY, without helmet:
@ IDLE-
MAP 14.9, MAF 0.04
@ 1500RPM-
MAP 15.02, MAF 0.09

W.ide O.pen T.hrottle, No Helmet:
MAP 36, MAF .39
W.O.T., With Helmet:
MAP 37, MAF .42

Those readings were closely uniform as each gear stabilized before up-shifting during W.O.T.

I was concerned that the helmet would choke airflow but it appears that it actually bumped the MAF from .39 to .42.
It's unclear whether Carrol Shelby would envy that increase, but it does suggest that the NASA-engineered ram-air scoop has shattered low expectations :-)r !

Still gotta' tie-up some adjusting/fastening loose ends, but bring-on the Rio Grande, monsoon and blizzard; it is time to fully submerge and finally kill the beast!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:29 am 
LOST Member

Also, it is tempting to skip the helmet and just add a top and hvac-style louvers to the back half of the shield assembly. That would adequately solve rain/snow rejection without the viking battle armor. It'd look more like a conventional big-rig intake...

Shield weighs about 5#, helmet 'bout 10#.
Pipe is 1/8" so it can handle the heavy crown.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

That is straight up Viking-esque!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:48 am 
LOST Member

Next priority:
Contact Guiness and ask if they are willing to negotiate snorkel sponsorship. I'm thinkin' a case per month is a solid initial position... :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:57 pm 
LOST Member

First serious deluge of rain @ 60mph hwy, for about 1.5hrs.
Helmet seemed to reject it okay; there may have been a slightly noticeable power-drop. I took the hint and tried to keep the turbo as calm as possible to reduce any rain-guzzling vacuum at the helmet.
Bottom-line: whatever amount of moisture that may have been inhaled behind the front shield inside the helmet, it wasn't severe enough to either impact driveability or advise further design mods.