It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Detroit truetrac
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:51 pm 
LOST Member

Anybody has install a Truetrac in front in the dana 30a in front of the KJ.

Also anybody has feedback driving it in the winter ?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Detroit truetrac
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have one in the back of my XR4Ti. Does that help? :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:35 pm 

I believe I remember reading a post a few years back that it is not recommended to install a locker in the front differential due to the weakness of the 30a case in the pinion bearing area. :(

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have Front and Rear Truetracs

Front is great on snowy roads - pulls through the corners - no problems.

Rear is more of an issue - if one wheel slips - all torque transfers to the other and so they both spin
if I try to accelerate - I powerslide the corner.
if I did it again - I'd put an ARB manual locker in the rear so I could control it.

What I've heard on the broken front diff's is that people where trying to accelerate uphill - bounced the front end and when the tires caught traction it split the case - I never had any problems
I will add that just about everyone at Moab - had a collar on the front differential
didn't see any Photos left - but the thread was
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5187

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:07 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
I believe I remember reading a post a few years back that it is not recommended to install a locker in the front differential due to the weakness of the 30a case in the pinion bearing area. :(

Locker no go but the Truetrac is more like a LSD should't be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:08 pm 
LOST Member

ATXKJ wrote:
I have Front and Rear Truetracs

Front is great on snowy roads - pulls through the corners - no problems.

Rear is more of an issue - if one wheel slips - all torque transfers to the other and so they both spin
if I try to accelerate - I powerslide the corner.
if I did it again - I'd put an ARB manual locker in the rear so I could control it.

What I've heard on the broken front diff's is that people where trying to accelerate uphill - bounced the front end and when the tires caught traction it split the case - I never had any problems
I will add that just about everyone at Moab - had a collar on the front differential
didn't see any Photos left - but the thread was
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5187

Glad to hear it's not an issue cornering in the winter !

I have a Truetrac in the rear, I absolutely love it in the winter I found it gave great traction and easy to control for cornering, way better than the OEM LSD.

Do you have an 05 or 06 ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

05 - originally open diff

although Austin only gets snow once every 6-7 years
so it only saw snow when I went to Colorado or Utah

and if I'm being careful - it doesn't slip - only if I'm pushing it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:16 pm 
LOST Addict

I've had a truetrac in the rear for more than 5 years. Still love it. The unintended powerslides in the snow are almost eliminated by just running in 4WD FT.

I installed an eaton elocker in the front about 2 months ago. What an upgrade. I haven't done any rock crawling or anything extreme with it yet. Mostly using in mud and snow to get to my mountain property. It's incredible to flip that switch and just chug up snowy grades that I would've had to power through with momentum, wheelspin, and road damage. Highly recommend this combo for uses like that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:20 pm 
LOST Member

CATCRD wrote:
I've had a truetrac in the rear for more than 5 years. Still love it. The unintended powerslides in the snow are almost eliminated by just running in 4WD FT.

I installed an eaton elocker in the front about 2 months ago. What an upgrade. I haven't done any rock crawling or anything extreme with it yet. Mostly using in mud and snow to get to my mountain property. It's incredible to flip that switch and just chug up snowy grades that I would've had to power through with momentum, wheelspin, and road damage. Highly recommend this combo for uses like that.

I would like to go that way as well........ But the E-locker is twice the price :|

You still have the stock Dana 30a in the front ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Well it was my spare diff from a gasser. I installed the locker into it and then dropped the original for the swap.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:44 pm 
LOST Addict

I ran DTT for several years in all conditions. It worked great for what it is. I have the complete front dif with the DTT all ready to bolt in for sale after I went to an ARB up front.
Still for sale...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:38 am 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
I ran DTT for several years in all conditions. It worked great for what it is. I have the complete front dif with the DTT all ready to bolt in for sale after I went to an ARB up front.
Still for sale...

How does the ARB compare to the DTT up front?

06 Renegade, 265-70-16 Duratracs on Moab's/OMF, RL sliders ,roof rack, On board air, JBA-UCA, adjust-a strut, Rear-OME 948 two uppers ,Sensatrac shocks, Boiler rad. skid, Mopar/4x guard skid,Terra-flex 4:1,HD cooling,more lights, gauges. ARB/Warn, Mudds Rear Bumper.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:45 pm 
LOST Addict

KJ/toy wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Still for sale...

How does the ARB compare to the DTT up front?

It's good for careful wheeling, just dont let your tires spin much.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

thesameguy wrote:
I have one in the back of my XR4Ti. Does that help? :D
What year? I have an 85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:04 pm 
LOST Member

I've installed a TrueTrac on a 92 XJ today, this as well as new 4.56 gear.

The TrueTrac in the front feel pretty transparent in 2WD and 4WD full time, I didn't see any difference than with the open diff.
It turn normally on a icy parking lot and give excellent traction to exit the corner, really happy about the result.

On the other side if you have to reset pinion depth, pinion bearing preload and backlash on the Dana 30 it can be time consuming and a PITA !!!

I think the TrueTrac in the front pass the test for a daily driver in the winter :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:49 am 
LOST Newbie

"The TrueTrac in the front feel pretty transparent in 2WD and 4WD full time"

'Scuse my ignorance here, but in 2WD the default is front wheel drive?
I've got a Peloquin (Torsen style LSD) in my fwd Golf, and love it. On my wish list of mods for the CRD I'd like to install a Truetrac, but assumed that the default 2wd system was driving the rear wheels, and that was where to instal same.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Rrusse11 wrote:
"The TrueTrac in the front feel pretty transparent in 2WD and 4WD full time"

'Scuse my ignorance here, but in 2WD the default is front wheel drive?
I've got a Peloquin (Torsen style LSD) in my fwd Golf, and love it. On my wish list of mods for the CRD I'd like to install a Truetrac, but assumed that the default 2wd system was driving the rear wheels, and that was where to instal same.
Cheers

Nope, KJ is always RWD when in 2WD mode.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

"Nope, KJ is always RWD when in 2WD mode." Grotsaldaat

Thanks, whew, thought I was losing it. One in the front may be helpful offroad, or for those who focus on that performance factor. As a daily driver, I'm thinking a Truetrac in the rear would be more suitable for my style/usage of the CRD. A recent 8" of snow was a revelation though on the Jeeps' capabilities in slippery conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:46 pm 
LOST Member

Rrusse11 wrote:
"Nope, KJ is always RWD when in 2WD mode." Grotsaldaat

Thanks, whew, thought I was losing it. One in the front may be helpful offroad, or for those who focus on that performance factor. As a daily driver, I'm thinking a Truetrac in the rear would be more suitable for my style/usage of the CRD. A recent 8" of snow was a revelation though on the Jeeps' capabilities in slippery conditions.

I should have start this tread saying the vehicle already have a rear locker.

Then is a TT in the front will be OK for a daily driver in the winter , because a lunchbox is not for sure !

Now from my experience with the XJ so far, the TT in the front doesn't creates any adverse effects to the steering of the vehicle on icy surface !!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

"TT in the front will be OK for a daily driver in the winter , because a lunchbox is not for sure !"

Lunchbox? I got the TT as the TrueTrac.
Cheers